SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bible MyCode/Bible Copyright?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Totality

Sulphur Springs, Texas

Bible MyCode/Bible Copyright?

About one month ago I was talking to a few friends on another board and they said it would be easier if someone would make a Bible Plugin that would do something like this:

[bible]Genesis 1:1[/bible]

It would show:

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, God..."

So I set out to make it. I followed the processes and what-not and began to copy the verses one by one. Then I realized that there is a copyright in my Bible... =/ What exactly does this mean? Am I not allowed to give the Bible plugin out to the public because it contains a copyrighted translation?

Any help would be appreciated =/

2009/5/5 20:04Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: Bible MyCode/Bible Copyright?

Yeah, most Bibles are copyrighted.

You could use something that is public domain, like the KJV or the World English Bible.

*edit* - Also, speaking as someone who is a computer programmer by day, isn't there an easier way to do that than hard-coding the verses into your plug-in? Do you have the ability to connect to another website and somehow pull the verses?

2009/5/5 20:30Profile
Totality

Sulphur Springs, Texas

Re:

Quote:

TaylorOtwell wrote:
Yeah, most Bibles are copyrighted.

You could use something that is public domain, like the KJV or the World English Bible.

I guess I could =/ I don't really enjoy using the KJV, its a hard read.

Quote:

*edit* - Also, speaking as someone who is a computer programmer by day, isn't there an easier way to do that than hard-coding the verses into your plug-in? Do you have the ability to connect to another website and somehow pull the verses?

There may be, but I wouldn't know how to do it =( I'm only good at HTML and CSS, PHP is kinda out-there for me. I'm just following examples that someone else set when they did the Kuran plugin.

2009/5/5 20:36Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

It looks like Crossway has developed an API for the ESV, which provides functions to call their servers and receive the text of verses using a language like PHP.

I would look into using that - it may help you get your plugin done much faster.

http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/share/services/

2009/5/5 20:40Profile
Totality

Sulphur Springs, Texas

Re:

Quote:

TaylorOtwell wrote:
It looks like Crossway has developed an API for the ESV, which provides functions to call their servers and receive the text of verses using a language like PHP.

I would look into using that - it may help you get your plugin done much faster.

http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/share/services/

Thank you =) That is the exact version I wanted to use!

2009/5/5 20:52Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy