Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Totality

Sulphur Springs, Texas

The Gospel of Jesus Christ

[b][align=center]A Close Examination of the Gospel of Jesus Christ[/align][/b]
[b][align=center]Have you ever fully understood the Gospel?[/align][/b]

In this thread, I plan on going through the start and, what most consider, the end of the Gospel. *It will end at conversion, although I believe that it continues way after that.* I plan on explaining many misunderstood concepts and thoughts about the Gospel. Most importantly, I will be teaching from the Scriptures, without which there is no solid truth.

“from childhood you have been acquainted with the Sacred Writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.” -2 Timothy 3:15

[b][align=center]“In the beginning, God…”[/align=center][/b]

Just like everything else, the Gospel begins with God. God is holy:

“Who is like You, O LORD, among the gods? Who is like You, majestic in holiness?” -Exodus 15:11
“Worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness.” -Psalm 29:2
“for I am holy.” -1 Peter 1:16
“Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts” -Isaiah 6:3
“holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty” -Revelation 4:8

God’s holiness is not to be taken lightly. In fact, it is your biggest problem:

“The LORD is in His holy temple; the LORD’s throne is in heaven; His eyes see, His eyelids test, the children of man. The LORD tests the righteous, but His soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence.” -Psalm 11:4,5
“You are not a God who delights in wickedness; evil may not dwell with You. The boastful shall not stand before Your eyes; you hate all who do evil.” -Psalm 5:4,5
“the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” -1 Peter 3:12

[align=center][b]Who is the Evildoer?[/b][/align]

“None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one. Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive. The venom of asps is under their lips. Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness. Their feet are swift to shed blood; in their paths are ruin and misery, and the way of peace they have not known. There is no fear of God before their eyes.” -Romans 3:10-18

At this point, many are offended because they believe themselves good people, at least to some degree. Here is a quick test to see if your righteousness matches that of the Bible: Exodus 20:3-17 , Deuteronomy 5:7-21

[b]Have you ever told a lie?[/b] It could have been a “little white lie” or a lie that got you into a whole mess of trouble, or it could be something that you got away with, or it could have been years ago- Have you lied?

[b]Have you ever stolen anything?[/b] Whether from a store or from a sibling or friend, regardless of size: an airplane or a nickel.- Have you ever stolen anything?

[b]Have you ever committed murder?[/b] God calls the hatred of a brother murder (1 John 3:15 ) and Christ said that if you are angry at a brother without cause, you are in danger of judgment (Matthew 5:21-26 ).

[b]Have you ever committed adultery?[/b] Adultery is defined as a sexual affair during marriage. Jesus taught that if you look after a woman with lust, that you have committed adultery with her in your heart ([bible[Matthew 5:27-28[/bible]). He also taught that divorce, wrongly used, is adultery as well as remarrying (Matthew 5:31-32 ). Fornication, sex without marriage, is also sin (Galatians 5:19 , Colosians 3:5 , Hebrews 13:4 ).

[b]But I’m a good person![/b]
“We all have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like polluted garments.” -Isaiah 64:6

The Scriptures not only say that there is no man good (Romans 3:12 ) but it also tells us that any righteousness we think we may have is like filthy rags before a holy God.

“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” -Romans 3:23
“But your iniquities have separated you from your God.” -Isaiah 59:2

[align=center][b]Divine Judgment Required[/b][/align]

“You destroy those who speak lies” -Psalm 5:6
“God judges those outside” - 1 Corinthians 5:13
“So then each of us will give an account of himself to God” -Romans 14:12
“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body” -2 Corinthians 5:10
“Let Him rain coals on the wicked; fire and sulfur and a scorching wind shall be the portion of their cup.” -Psalm 11:6
“For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup with foaming wine, well mixed, and He pours out from it, and all the wicked of the earth shall drain it down to the dregs.” -Psalm 75:8
“but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury.” -Romans 2:8
“For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries” -Hebrews 10:26-27
“Then I saw a great white throne and Him who was seated on it. From His presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books according to what they had done. And if anyone’s name was not found written in the Book of Life, he was thrown into the Lake of Fire.” Revelation 20:11,12,15

You have sinned against a holy God! And in your actions you say to Him, “Depart from me!” (Job 21:14 ) And because you want total separation from Him, He will give you the desires of your heart and give it to you. And because of your blatant rebellion against God, He will judge you.

“Let their own eyes see their destruction, and let them drink of the wrath of the Almighty.” -Job 21:20

When you stand before the Almighty God, you will be declared guilty of rebellion and sin, and you will be sentenced to death and hell.

“The LORD preserves all who love Him, but all the wicked He will destroy.” -Psalm 145:20

[b][align=center]But what about Forgiveness?[/align][/b]

“But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins” -Matthew 9:6
“to give knowledge of salvation to His people in the forgiveness of sins,” -Luke 1:77
“for the forgiveness of sins” -Acts 2:38
“who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins” -Acts 10:43

The Scriptures do teach that there is a forgiveness of sins from a loving God, but imagine this:

You get back from work or school one day and, as you open the door, you find that all of your family has been murdered and the only surviving one is being strangled before your face. If you were able to catch him and have him arrested, on the day of the trial he stands before the court and openly confesses to the murder of your family. At this confession, the judge stands and silences the crowd, “Dear murderer, there is more than enough evidence to prove that you have done this. You also confessed to have done it. But I’m a loving judge. I forgive you and you are free to go.”

At that moment you would be filled with such rage and fury against a new foe, the judge. You would call the press, the congress, the president all so that they may know that there is a judge in those courtrooms who is more wicked than those he judges because he has set a murderer free, when the law demanded justice.

“both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.” -Leviticus 20:10
“all liars, their portion will be in the lake the burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” -Revelation 21:8
“thieves… will not inherent the kingdom of God.” -1 Corinthians 6:10
“no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.” -1 John 3:15

In the same way, God demands justice and it will be satisfied. God is a righteous judge:

“God is a righteous Judge” -Psalm 7:11
“You have set on the throne, giving righteous judgment” -Psalm 9:4
“For the LORD loves justice” -Psalm 37:28
“The heavens declare His righteousness, for God Himself is Judge!” -Psalm 50:6
“The King in His might loves justice” -Psalm 99:4

[b][align=center]There Seems to be a Problem:[/align][/b]

If God is truly a just God and a just Judge, which Scripture supports, then He cannot forgive the sinner; He cannot declare the wicked to be righteous. Justice must be satisfied and the wicked must be condemned.

“He who justifies the wicked and he who condemns the righteous are both alike an abomination to the LORD.” -Proverbs 17:15

[b]How, then, can God declare men to be righteous?[/b]

“for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by His grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a [b][i]propitiation[/i][/b] by His blood to be received by faith.” -Romans 3:23-25, emphasis added

[align=center][b]There is justification in Jesus Christ, but who was He?[/b][/align]

[b]He was Son of Man[/b]

“But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins” -Mark 2:10

This does not denote His humanity while on the earth, but rather this title fulfills the prophesy given by Daniel:

“I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him. And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.” -Daniel 7:13-14

The title, Son of Man, that the Christ gives Himself was to tell all the people of His kingdom. Christ is truly a King:

“King of kings and Lord of lords.” -Revelation 19:16

[b]Son of God[/b]

“tell us if You are the Christ, the Son of God.” Jesus said to him, “You have said so.” -Matthew 26:63,64

Huios (hwee-os’) was the word used in the Greek when Jesus confessed to being the Son of God on multiple occasions. According to what I’ve been taught, the word is used when describing equality with someone, in such as “I am the son of Victor” so I would be equal to Victor in the sense that I will inherit all he has. In the same way, Jesus taught that He was the Son of God

[b]He is our Savior[/b]

“and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world” -John 4:42
“God exalted Him at His right hand as Leader and Savior” -Acts 5:31
“we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,” -Philippians 3:20
“And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” -Acts 4:12

[align=center][b]How is justification possible?[/b][/align]

Before you could be clear of all charges, someone had to pay your debt. If you were ever to go unpunished, then someone had to take your punishment:

“Jesus our Lord, who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.” -Romans 4:24-25
“Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men.” -Romans 5:18
“you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” -1 Corinthians 6:11
“Christ died for our sins” -1 Corinthians 15:3

Jesus Christ became a man, lived a perfect life, was betrayed by Judas, delivered up to the council, was scourged beyond recognition, suffered, bled, hung on a tree, the cross, and he died.

But understand that you are not saved because Jesus died on a cross, you are not saved because Romans pierced His side. You are saved, if you are saved, because while He was on the cross and in the grave, He suffered in hell to pay your debt. If Christ had not suffered in the wrath of God then you would still have to.

But not only did He suffer in Hell in your place, He rose from the grave in the power of God and conquered death and hell forever.

“And if Christ has not been raise, you faith is futile and you are still in your sins.” -1 Corinthians 15:17

[b][align=center][i]What Must I do to be Saved?[/i][/align][/b]

“repent and believe in the Gospel.” -Mark 1:15
“everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins through His name.” -Acts 10:43
“but now He commands all people everywhere to repent” -Acts 17:30
“if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in you heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” -Romans 10:9-10
“The righteous shall live by faith.” -Romans 1:17

Repents and believe in the Christ!

[align=center][b]To conclude[/b][/align]

If I forgot anything that should be here, or you know of something that should not be here, please do not hesitate to post the correction. May God use this is a mighty way. I used Bulletin Board Code from MyBB; if that's not how you align, bold, and italicize here please correct me.
“Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.”

2009/5/5 19:35Profile
Totality

Sulphur Springs, Texas

Re: The Gospel of Jesus Christ

If anyone finds any fault in this article, please tell me. I want to put this into a little slideshow, but I want it to be right and I'm sure you guys can help if I've missed anything or added something that didn't belong

2009/5/10 17:12Profile
Totality

Sulphur Springs, Texas

Re:

I'm gonna take this as being acceptable then?

2009/5/11 8:13Profile

Re:

that is really good, i might even copy and use that, if that is o.k for ideas.

2009/5/12 1:37
Totality

Sulphur Springs, Texas

Re:

I don't mind ^_^ I just had to make sure I didn't have any errors

2009/5/12 7:45Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: The Gospel of Jesus Christ

very good things, maybe i can give a suggestion? a section on regeneration and one on what a christian is in terms of life and holiness and love, bearing fruit ect. since today there is much misunderstanding on what faith and repentance is. and the supernatural in regenearation is almost forgotten.

just a thought :)

christian

2009/5/12 7:56Profile
Totality

Sulphur Springs, Texas

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
very good things, maybe i can give a suggestion? a section on regeneration and one on what a christian is in terms of life and holiness and love, bearing fruit ect. since today there is much misunderstanding on what faith and repentance is. and the supernatural in regenearation is almost forgotten.

just a thought :)

christian

I like that =) I'll write that up tomorrow and edit it in. Thanks

2009/5/12 22:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy