SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : thoughts????Edit: thanks to everyone, I'm going home wanted to say BYE!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Such Love! Incredible. Your friend is truly truly Blessed. Praise GOD! :-)

2009/5/5 20:26
run2win

USA

Re:

I have to add this observation from the book of Esther. I find it interesting that though she was subjected to the Persian beautification ritual, which, by the way, lasted 12 months!--"six months with oil of myrrh and six months with spices and the cosmetics for women"--Esther was a minimalist when it came time for her presentation to the king. Though "anything that she desired was given her to take with her from the haram to the king's palace," when her turn to go in to the king came, "she did not request anything except what Hegai, the king's eunuch who was in charge of the women, advised. And Esther found favor in the eyes of all who saw her."

Esther did not put her trust in outward ornamentation or cosmetics. She used moderation. This application might be a stretch. It goes without saying that a gentle and quiet spirit are the most beautiful feminine assets. I think a woman should let her natural beauty shine through, but a few tasteful, discreet enhancements are ok. I don't see scripture condemning that, though I respect that there are varying opinions on this subject.

see full account here: Esther 2:7-15

2009/5/6 16:48Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Something that the Lord has shown me, is that anytime we make "enhancements" to what the Lord has created there is a price to be paid. All of these enhancements are for the purposes of feeding our flesh and are adverse to the ways of God. While something may seem to be harmless, there are actually spiritual implications and ramifications that we can not see.

True beauty lies in that which the Lord has made - as He has made it.

2009/5/6 17:10Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: thoughts????

Hi wind_blows...

Do you think that the root of this concern might be some personal insecurity? The Bible is filled with praise and respect for those with "gray" hair (such as in Proverbs 16:31 and Leviticus 19:32). However, we live in a society where people are tenaciously trying to hold on to an appearance of youth. Perhaps this is a result of the rebellion of the 1960s?

I have been told that I have a boyish look. In fact, I was "carded" when attempting to buy some paint a week ago (you need to be 18 to purchase it). My wife has mentioned the possibility that she will look "old" and I will look "young" in a few years. I told her, "[i]Well, then people will just have to think that I love a slightly older woman[/i]!" I suppose that such a fear is rooted in the precedent set by many men in America. I have assured my wife that -- when we are in our 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s -- I will love her as much as I have in our 20s.

I cannot imagine NOT being with my wife. I do my best to show this to her daily. I have already explained that my love for her is not based upon her looks...because her looks will one day change with time. Rather, she is "the other side of me." I look forward to talking with her when I get home. I look forward to walking with her along one of these secluded beaches along California's Highway 1 just as much as I long for physical intimacy. More than anything, I explain that I believe in the marriage covenant. I don't ever intend to break that covenant.

Now, I don't know this woman's motives for such a question. However, I might think that a good remedy for such fear might be to have her husband impress upon her the fact that his love is real...and "til death do they part." I would encourage any husband to do the same. I love to romance my wife...but not simply with flowers, physical touch and admiration for temporary beauty...but with an inner romance of two people truly becoming one.

Once my wife gets her first gray hair, I will cherish it. More importantly, I will go out of my way to show her that I cherish it. Well, I suppose that I should leave it at that. I am blushing just a bit.

:-)

2009/5/6 17:28Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

HeartSong wrote:
Something that the Lord has shown me, is that anytime we make "enhancements" to what the Lord has created there is a price to be paid. All of these enhancements are for the purposes of feeding our flesh and are adverse to the ways of God. While something may seem to be harmless, there are actually spiritual implications and ramifications that we can not see.

Hi HeartSong,

I'm not totally sure where I stand on the whole issue of makeup, etc. but I wanted to ask you a question. Do you think it's wrong to wear clothing made of colored cotton?

2009/5/6 17:36Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Hey
Just wanted to stop by and try to respond to the last few post. Heartsong you wrote:All of these enhancements are for the purposes of feeding our flesh and are adverse to the ways of God. While something may seem to be harmless, there are actually spiritual implications and ramifications that we can not see.

sis heartsong this is a blanket statement and I have to disagree with some of what you wrote here. There are many occasions where young men and women have done things for medical reasons to help with their appearance and it was not to just feed the flesh. I know of one young man whose face was terribly scared by acne. He said that every time he tried to share with people are speak to them about things of the Lord they were often distracted by his face that the conversation would always end up on him. He has since been able to use medicine and treatments to help bring this condition under control and finds that people are more willing to talk to him as he shares with them. I know of a young woman who has extreme allergies and this has caused her to have very dark cycles under her eyes. She has shared about how at times people have actually assumed that she was hit(black eye) or thought her to be very ill. Again she said the same things her appearance seemed to cause people to put the focus on her instead of what she was sharing with them. She now uses small amounts of cover up and light foundation to even out her skin tone and the raccoon eyes are no longer a problem. People no longer focus on her. These are just two examples of people who have used makeup or other things to help with changing their appearance not for flesh reasons but because they wanted people to focus on Jesus and not them.

Chris: thanks for what you shared about you and your wife. I don't know if you caught my last post about what Janie's husband did for her. He went out and had his hair colored with some gray so he would look more his age. I know she was very touched by his demonstration of love.

Thanks for the comments
Your sis in Him

2009/5/6 18:09Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
I love to romance my wife...but not simply with flowers, physical touch and admiration for temporary beauty...but with an inner romance of two people truly becoming one.

Chris, this is beautiful. With a heart like this, your marriage will be most blessed.

Quote:
I'm not totally sure where I stand on the whole issue of makeup, etc. but I wanted to ask you a question. Do you think it's wrong to wear clothing made of colored cotton?

I do not think that I am speaking in terms of "right" and "wrong" (maybe I am?). As far as colored cotton goes, if I recall correctly there are health issues associated with the dyes. Then I thought of the fact that Joseph had a coat of many colors - but then that coat caused him a lot of problems with his brothers. Then I started thinking of how we paint our houses and the health issues that result from the lead and mercury found in the paint.

wind_blows, as far as your friends with acne and dark circles - is it possible that the Lord had a ministry planned for them based on these things? That maybe there are souls that would be won by them not covering what they consider to be disfigurements? We tell people that God loves us as we are, and then we "cover up" that which He has made us to be. Our Lord does not make mistakes.

As I think about it, it is this very thing that draws us to Him - the fact that He loves us even though we are ugly.

2009/5/6 20:53Profile
wind_blows

Re:

hey heart song
The question you posed was a big what if sister. Neither you nor I can answer that question about if God had a certain ministry for them, all I can tell you is that both of these people have a real love for Jesus and desire to see His kingdom furthered.

You also said that we tell people that God loves them just as we are? Does He loves us as we are? I mean when you get down to it we are sinners and very wicked at heart, does God love that about me or you? IT is true He does love us, and we can't do anything to earn that love, but to say He loves us just as we are is not totally accurate either? Actually God loves us because of His son Jesus! If we are really honest he does not want us to stay as we are at all, He wants us to change to die to self and sin, to become a whole new creation in Christ Jesus.

Sis I want to be careful here in choosing my words because written communication can at times come across differently then the writer often intends it to. For example in reading over some of what you have shared here it almost sounds as if you are saying that someone is in sin if they prayerfully choose to alter their appearance. If that is how you feel, if the Lord convicts you on that, then you should walk in that. However I caution you to be careful not to lay condemnation down on others for not feeling the same conviction that you may have. Not saying that you are intentionally doing that but as I said sometimes the written word can be difficult to discern a persons heart and motive. I know that my two friends both prayed long and hard and sought out the wisdom of older mature members of the body before they took action in what they did.

Sis I came on and asked for opinions and you shared yours with me and for that i just want to say thanks, it takes courage and love to step forward and share with a stranger what you feel the Lord placing on your heart:-)

Have a great night, its been a joy hearing from you
Your sis in Him

2009/5/6 21:51Profile

Re:

I think the liberty in Christ would allow you to dye your hair. Hopefully your hubby will feel the same.

2009/5/6 22:25
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
I caution you to be careful not to lay condemnation down on others for not feeling the same conviction that you may have.

I am not condemning anyone. That is neither my place or responsibility. Each person must work out his own salvation.

Thank you for bringing this issue forward as the Lord has used it to enlighten me even further on the subject.

2009/5/6 22:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy