SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can personality be a gift? and is shyness a sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Santana

Can personality be a gift? and is shyness a sin?

I'm sure we all know Christians who are outgoing and make friends where ever they go. People are attracted to them. Is the 'personality' a gift?

I also know Christians who know the Bible from cover to cover but are quiet and shy. Is that wrong?

2009/5/4 15:17Profile

Re: Can personality be a gift? and is shyness a sin?

This is a very good topic Santana. Have you read Zac Poonen's article [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7563&forum=36&3]here.[/url]

I know what I was taught about this but I'd rather hear from others and appreciated what Zac had said. I think we have something to do with our "personality" and it can either be a gift to others or a curse... but then again - are they correct or is it just a clash of personalities - GOD show us - that's all I can pray for myself.

Thanks for a good topic.

2009/5/4 15:28
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Quote:
Santana on 2009/5/4 12:17:22 wrote:
I'm sure we all know Christians who are outgoing and make friends where ever they go. People are attracted to them. Is the 'personality' a gift?

I also know Christians who know the Bible from cover to cover but are quiet and shy. Is that wrong?

Gosh, I would never thought that shyness is a sin. God created my personality for His glory and I know it has offended some people. I'm outgoing and overtly friendly.

I also realize that because of who I am I will never be able to witness to some people but another personality type will.

God made us all different so that we will fit in somewhere and with someone and it's not for us but for His glory and His alone!

2009/5/4 16:13Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Yes; our personalities, like everything else,
are a gift from GOD. What should draw people
to you is the "Christ in you". HE is
altogether lovely!!

2009/5/4 17:30Profile
ceedub

Canada

Re:

I remember a care group years ago, I'll never forget it, where we all took a turn to tell each person there what we liked about them.
When it was the one girl's turn, everyone in the room told her how much they loved to talk to her because she was the best listener they knew.
She broke down and started to really cry. She said she'd been harbouring guilt for years about not being vocal enough or saying the right things.
Hearing how her quietness had blessed everyone there for years was a great weight off her back that no one but her knew was there.
It was a pretty awesome time.

One of my daughters is very quiet and I make sure to let her know how much we appreciate her quiet spirit and how much it adds just like those that are prone to speak.

Personally, if everyone talked as much as I do, they'd drive me nuts. :-?

2009/5/4 18:11Profile

Re:

GOD Bless you Ceedub - what a post - I'm applauding. I'm half your daughter and half of you. Bless GOD in Heaven.

When I posted above about how much we control our "personality" [and with Poonen's message in view as well] I was thinking of all that I'd read from Nee, etc. etc. etc. over the yrs but this one message that I heard sort of wrapped up most of what all those books have said quite nicely and in just a short message - It's "Sweet". Praise GOD!

It's by Pastor Rhodes called "Listening To The Holy Spirit" on this list. http://www.tscnyc.org/sermons.php

Excellent.
Thank you!

2009/5/4 18:48
wind_blows

Hey
I wanted to just say that I know for myself having struggled with being shy that it can most defiantly be sin in ones life. There have been many times when God has given me words to share and out of fear and being shy around others I have not spoken or shared as He would have wanted me to. This is something that I have had to repent of and do often still struggle with. I really do want to die to this area of self in my life, it has been difficult though.

I agree with who it was who said that we should walk in such a manner daily that others are attracted to us because they see Jesus in us and nothing else.

Just my thoughts
Your little sister in Christ

2009/5/4 19:22Profile

Re:

Oh Sis, I don't know if it helps to call it 'sin'. I've read so much about this that it scrambles my head. Moses was meek - the meekest man on earth he said - he didn't want to be the "mouth piece" .
But as far as those who don't speak much - I [b]miss[/b] them here and believe it's "fear". I've missed you here, just for one and praying that the others will come on too, while we still can.

And before GOD, I've typed all of this and just deleted a yard of it and can't bring myself to hit submit - so here we go again - count to 10, pray, take a couple of very deep breaths, hit preview a couple more times, pray against fear again and then - hit submit. :-?

2009/5/4 20:58
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I am not sure that any one temperament has an advantage over another. It may appear that an extrovert has a lot going for him/her, but in the sight of God, do they really?

Let consider a few things: an extrovert knows he/she can manipulate people quite well. They have this inborn skill and somehow their charm attracts people because it makes them feel good.

The introvert on the other hand lives in the shadows and may envy - but not always - the extroverted because of their popularity. Or, the introverted may be turned off by the charmer. In any case the introverted may bury himself/herself in books or another project and become quite knowledgeable. The introverted learns that respect must be earned and the friends that he/she has will be loyal because they appreciate the quality that lies in this person.

As I look at both of them, they both will have issues that will need to be dealt with by the Holy Spirit. The extrovert will have to surrender his/her charm and become real, learn that his skills are not equal to the power of the Holy Spirit.

The introvert will have to learn to overcome his/her fear of people so the Holy Spirit can use him/her.

Both will have problems that need to come under the LORDSHIP of Jesus Christ with the aid of the Holy Spirit. But one cannot say one temperament is superior to the other: God made both but both still need to be redeemed. It is unwise to compare yourself with another.

My understanding of this issue..

ginnyrose

2009/5/4 21:49Profile

Re:

[i]"Let consider a few things: an extrovert knows he/she can manipulate people quite well. They have this inborn skill and somehow their charm attracts people because it makes them feel good.

The introvert will have to learn to overcome his/her fear of people so the Holy Spirit can use him/her."[/i]

I've known some extroverts to just be very lonely or depressed inside or feel they have nothing going for them at all and use that extroversion to distract them or as an attempt to make friends and have known some introverts who weren't afraid of people at all, but actually hated people - like passive-aggressives.
Other extroverts that I know are just very caring people - wanting to help others or make them laugh and some introverts that were the best at working with sick people and other varieties of both types.
I don't believe there are blanket traits or reasons why a person is one or the other, but it seems to be on a person to person basis, even from the same families and thank GOD for the differences, like Zac said.

2009/5/5 2:40

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy