SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Being fit for the Lords Table

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
notmyown

Being fit for the Lords Table

Recently have been studying in 1 Cor 11 about the Lords Supper -

My church is in a bit of a mess right now, with various factions and divisions under the surface (and no minister currently, just elders).

Given the circumstances I took it that I should not partake of the Lords Table due to the disunity in the church. A Minister recently spoke though and said there is no reason for a believer to NOT come to the table if he has examined himself.

Is it a case of the individual being right or a need for the church to be right also? Can I meet around the table with a leadership that I dont have unity with?

Key verse for me is 1 Cor 11v17-18 (Amplified version)
In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. 18In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it.

2009/4/28 9:15Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Being fit for the Lords Table

I don't know all the details surrounding this, only what you have said, so, I have to go by that.

If such is the case, should the church be having Lord's Supper?

Do you have Lord's Supper on a regular basis, say, every Sunday or every month etc?

If so, is the church partaking of the Lord's Supper on a 'business as usual' basis? That is, even if things are not the way they should be?

Also, if you disagree with the church on fundamental issues, are you attending the right church, biblically speaking that is?

If your doctrines differ, then maybe it is time for you to consider if it is worthwhile staying, and getting more grieved over scripture being taken lightly, if not ignored.

I think only you can answer any real question you have, but you need to seek God and fall in line with what He wants, rather than what you feel.

God bless.

2009/4/28 11:09Profile
notmyown

Re:

Thanks for the reply,

I dont think they should be holding it - It's held once a month (I personally think it should be every week).

I am not currently in unity with those in charge but God has told me to stay there (as he has for others too) so it's a tricky one!

2009/4/28 12:04Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Hey Brother,

Repectfully, you are in church to worship the Lord. Partaking in this should have nothing to do with the disunity that is currently going on in your church. You are unified with Christ, regardless of the mess around you.

If I may be so bold, the Lord tells us to eat His flesh and to drink His blood. He did not say to do all of this, except if your church is in disaray.

By partaking in His offering, you are entering into worship of the Lord. So the question should be asked, can you worship the Lord in the midst of hardship, or will you do so only when everything is going well?

My brother, partake in His suffering. Eat and drink because of who He is, not because of what your church is not.

2009/4/28 12:45Profile
notmyown

Re:

Miccah, I see where you are coming from and indeed that is the opinion of many here but how do the verses in 1 Cor 11:17-18 relate to it?

Here the writer expresses that it is actually harming them to come together for the Lords supper due to division does it not?

2009/4/28 12:56Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

notmyown wrote:

Quote:

Miccah, I see where you are coming from and indeed that is the opinion of many here but how do the verses in 1 Cor 11:17-18 relate to it?

Here the writer expresses that it is actually harming them to come together for the Lords supper due to division does it not?

Brother. I can see where this verse may be interpreted this way, but I interpret it completely different, especially when taken in context with the remaining verses 1 Cor 11:19-34

If you take the offering and are unworthy of it is the only issue. Are you unworthy of it?

If we base our worship on what others do and/or do not do, how will we react during the tribulation when literally all Hell breaks loose? Will we partake in the offering even while many are abandoning the church/Lord?

Regardless. If the Lord is placing it on your heart not to to eat and drink, by all means brother, follow the Lord and shelf what I have to say. :)

Blessings my friend. May the Lord lead you in His way.

2009/4/28 14:23Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Dear brother,
The situation you are describing is very similar to the one of the church I left 2 years back. I refrained from taking the Lord's supper there, because I knew it could do harm. We even had premature deaths which I am careful not to attribute to anyone's personal relationship with God in particular.

Quote:
1.Cor 11:17 Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse. 18 For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it.

The Lord's table is a table and not a spiritual take-away. On the positive side, the Lord's supper can be actually an occasion where reconciliation and unity in the Lord can be achieved.

2009/4/28 18:57Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Dear brother,
The situation you are describing is very similar to the one of the church I left 2 years back. I refrained from taking the Lord's supper there, because I knew it could do harm. We even had premature deaths which I am careful not to attribute to anyone's personal relationship with God in particular.

Quote:
1.Cor 11:17 Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse. 18 For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it.

The Lord's table is a table and not a spiritual take-away. On the positive side, the Lord's supper can be actually an occasion where reconciliation and unity in the Lord can be achieved.

2009/4/28 18:57Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy