Discussion Forum : General Topics : Old Paths of a little different sort

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MJones

Missouri

Old Paths of a little different sort

We Must Be Born Again

John 3:3, ‘No one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.’

I have been stuck for several days with thoughts on this verse. I fully intended to write them yesterday but got sidetracked. Another topic has been on my mind so as I sat at my computer, I found myself in a struggle over which one to write about.

Recently I have seen several quotes from our founding fathers that convey their humility before God, their dependence on Him and their recognition of His ways as the only basis on which governing principals could be derived that would stand the test of time, life and man’s propensity to assert his own interests in it.

The more I sat and thought about the two topics, the topic of needing to be born again began to seem flat. So I began writing about the other. Last night, after watching Osteen at Yankee Stadium, I noticed a Billy Graham Classic was on next. Having only heard him in his later years, I have never understood why he drew such crowds. Now I know.

I think the title of the message was ‘What is Wrong with the World’. It was 1958 in Charlotte, NC – the town he grew up in – in what was then the largest domed structure in the world. It was filled to capacity with 13,000 people.

Sin is what is wrong with the world and unless you are born again, man’s propensity in it is to assert his own interests. It was a dynamic message. As I heard it, my heart was gripped by the truth, the simplicity and the fact that I had allowed myself to be sidetracked – that I had allowed myself to see the need to be born again as flat.

To a member of the Jewish ruling council – Nicodemus – a teacher of God’s people, Jesus would say, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again’. Unless you are born again, you cannot see that ‘God so loved the world that He gave His only Son’. Unless you are born again you cannot see that ‘God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that through Him the world might be saved’. Unless you are born again, ‘you will love darkness instead of light’.

If we do not first get that right, all else is irrelevant. But from that we have His light to light our way. Our founding fathers, at least some of them, had this light. It affected the way they lived, the way they believed and the way they governed. They tried to elevate His ways.

It is sick today (sorry, I can’t think of a better word) to see how far we have come. Unless more people literally get ‘born again’, from the common people to the leaders of our nation and churches, this nation, which was formed by men who [b]did[/b] see His kingdom, will be stolen by men who [b]do not[/b]. We must be born again.

2009/4/26 10:23Profile
growingholly

Re: Old Paths of a little different sort

thank God for this post. grateful for this, so much.these are truths that need to be spoken over and over. i fully believe we need continual reminders of the truth of the gospel of Christ...we must never take the attitude of "well, that's the gospel, ok, let's move on to something more deep" WHAT?!?! no way!!! the gospel of Jesus Christ IS the deepest thing, it IS the most beautfiful truth! let us be born again and cling to Him that He would keep us reborn, keep renewing our faith in Him daily, minute by minute...and then we alos can grow in regard to the Scriptures and knowledge. but the fear of the Lord is the [i]beginning[/i] of wisdom. when He births us, we have that beginning. oh, what Love....

2009/4/26 12:48Profile
run2win

USA

MJones,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this; it was a very good reminder. We should never forget our godly heritage, going all the way back to Abraham, but it all starts with our newness in Christ, and we must never lose our boldness in sharing the truth:

You must be born again.

2009/4/27 18:29Profile
MJones

Missouri

I've been thinking about starting this thread for a while. Though my original post was not exactly what I had in mind, I now believe it was good to start it with where it all needs to start - being born again.

Having laid that foundation, it seems to be a perfect lead into what I originally intended, which was simply to post quotes of some who were instrumental in the founding of our nation. I have been impressed lately, as I said in my original post, with their dependence on God and recognition of His ways as the basis for our government.

The intent is to make clear their intent. I invite anyone who may be interested, as you come across quotes or other information that serves to clarify the intent of our founders, to post your finds here.

I will start with one of the earlier ones, which was written of the pilgrims by William Bradford.

'As one candle may light a thousand, so the light kindled here has shown unto many, yea in some sort to our whole nation... We have noted these things that you might see their worth and not neglegently lose what your fathers have obtained with so much hardship.'

2009/4/30 19:12Profile
MJones

Missouri

As William Bradford reminds us of the hardship endured by the pilgrims which was responsible for the founding of our godly nation, Nathaniel Green gives God credit for Washington's army defending it; again in spite of incredible hardship.

At a critical point near the end of the war Washington makes a dramatic appeal for his troops to stay with him. 'Those willing to stay were asked to step forward. Drums rolled, but no one moved. Minutes passed. Then Washington 'wheeled his horse about' and spoke again.

'My brave fellows, you have done all I asked you to do, and more than could be reasonably expected, but your country is at stake, your wives, your houses, and all that you hold dear. You have warn yourselves out with fatigues and hardships, but we know not how to spare you. If you will commit to stay one month longer, you will render that service to the cause of liberty, and to your country, which you can probably never do under any other circumstance.'

'Again the drums sounded and this time the men began stepping forward. 'God Almighty,' wrote Nathaniel Greene, 'inclined their hearts to listen to the proposal and they engaged anew.'

Source: David McCullough in '1776'

2009/5/3 23:39Profile
run2win

USA

Re:

I think this quote from George Washington fits nicely in this thread:

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains taken to bring it to light."

2009/5/4 8:53Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Quote:

run2win wrote:
I think this quote from George Washington fits nicely in this thread:

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains taken to bring it to light."

It is more than fitting - it is the heart of it. Pains were taken by the pilgrims to bring truth to light. The result of those pains were still evident many years later in our founding fathers. Though their 'Declaration of Independence' and subsequent war to secure it was not all about Christianity, as with the Pilgrims, they still depended on God as the Pilgrims did for their guidance and protection.

As we take a spec of pain in this thread to bring this truth to light, I hope it helps us to see how far our nation and our nations leaders have veered from where it started.

2009/5/4 23:49Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy