SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Has anyone done much studying on the tetragrammaton? (a couple unanswered questions still)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
anonymity

Re:

Quote:
God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" God also said to Moses, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations. Exodus 3:14-15

1. How do they define Hayah, Elohiym, and YHWH? Is it by a dictionary? the context and usages? a guess?

2. Is it YHWH or YHVH?

3. Is the name in Exodus 3:14-15 Hayah/I AM or YHWH/LORD? If it is Hayah/I AM then we have not lost the spelling of His name? I think Hayah/I AM is what He said His name was specifically whereas YHWH and Elohiym were titles?

4. If there are no vowels in Hebrew then how can we try to fill in the missing letters in YHWH with vowels?

5. What is the difference between YHWH and Elohiym in meaning?

p.s. I think Eheyeh is the correct way to pronounce I AM as opposed to Hayah or Hawyah.

2009/5/5 11:07Profile

Re:

You don't need to use the Strong's Dictionary but any Hebrew Dictionary numbered to the Strong's would help you. All the words in those verses are numbered here for your convienience.

Exo 3:14 And GodH430 saidH559 untoH413 Moses,H4872 I AMH1961 THATH834 I AM:H1961 and he said,H559 ThusH3541 shalt thou sayH559 unto the childrenH1121 of Israel,H3478 I AMH1961 hath sentH7971 me untoH413 you.
Exo 3:15 And GodH430 saidH559 moreoverH5750 untoH413 Moses,H4872 ThusH3541 shalt thou sayH559 untoH413 the childrenH1121 of Israel,H3478 The LORDH3068 GodH430 of your fathers,H1 the GodH430 of Abraham,H85 the GodH430 of Isaac,H3327 and the GodH430 of Jacob,H3290 hath sentH7971 me untoH413 you: thisH2088 is my nameH8034 for ever,H5769 and thisH2088 is my memorialH2143 unto all generations.H1755 H1755

2009/5/5 14:27
anonymity

Re:

I thought I would bump this once to see if anyone out there can answer my questions or at least knows of a good resource to study this topic.

2009/5/6 10:31Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

anonymity,

I would like to stick my head in here a moment and share a bit, then I will leave this to more learned persons.

As I recall from my youth days when I attended Bible School, the instructors taught us a lot about the different names given to God. They were all adjectives, a word that described a deity, specifically God, suited for a specific situation but true at all times.

Then I think of Thomas' reaction when he realized who Jesus was "My Lord and my God". This, to me is the point where we should be: that when we realize who Jesus is, we will bow the knee in holy reverence and fear with "my Lord and my God". This is what He desires - a holy realization of who is is and us living this out where the rubber meets the road.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2009/5/7 9:01Profile
anonymity

Re:

Ginnyrose,

Sorry sometimes I miss that someone replied. Yeah I agree this is the main point.

2009/5/25 22:15Profile
preacher777E

Re: Has anyone done much studying on the tetragrammaton? (a couple unanswered questio

I believe the reason most so-called Jews don't say it is because they don't believe in him, as Steven stated in Acts 7. The only way you can be grafted into Israel is by Messiah that's even for the real Sephardic Jews Jer 11:16 YHWH called thy name, A green olive tree, fair, and of goodly fruit: with the noise of a great tumult he hath kindled fire upon it, and the branches of it are broken.
Jer 11:17 For YHWH of hosts, that planted thee, hath pronounced evil against thee, for the evil of the house of Israel and of the house of Judah, which they have done against themselves to provoke me to anger in offering incense unto Baal.
Most Jews are of the Ashkenazim line, they were converted. Most of these will say that a Jew that converts to Messiah is no longer a Jew.Thi is what scripture speakes of the Ashkenazim
The Ashkenaz of the Bible refers to a people living somewhere in the vicinity of Mount Ararat and Armenia. The name occurs in Gen 10:2-3 The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and
Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras. And the sons of Gomer; Ashkenaz, and
Riphath, and Togarmah.
and
1Ch 1:5-6 The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech,
and Tiras. And the sons of Gomer; Ashchenaz, and Riphath, and TogarmahI

also
Jer 51:27-29 Set ye up a standard in the land, blow the trumpet among the nations, prepare the nations against her, call together against her the kingdoms of Ararat, Minni, and Ashchenaz; appoint a captain against her; cause the horses to come up as the rough caterpillers .Prepare against her the nations with the kings of the Medes, the captains thereof, and all the rulers thereof, and all the land of his dominion. And the land shall tremble and sorrow: for every purpose of YHWH shall be performed against Babylon, to make the land of Babylon a desolation without an inhabitant.

Some say Je'hova which is from the Babylon the Je is said to mean Yah but check out the other, (from strongs)
H1943
הוה
hôvâh
ho-vaw'
Another form for H1942; ruin: - mischief.

Some use God

Isa 65:11 But yeH859 are they that forsakeH5800 the LORD,H3068 that forgetH7913 (H853) my holyH6944 mountain,H2022 that prepareH6186 a tableH7979 for that troop,H1408

H1408
גּד
gad
gad
A variation of H1409; Fortune, a Babylonian deity: - that troop.

Apart from Gad, the son of Jacoḇ, there was another “Gad.” The astrologers of Baḇel called Jupiter (Zeus) by the name “Gad.” He was also well known among the Canaanites where his name was often coupled with Baʽal, Baʽal Gad, which according to the Massoretic vowel pointing in the Book of Yehoshua is pronounced: Baʽal God. This same name is discovered in the ancient Germanic languages as Gott, Goda, Gode, God, Gud, Gade. And searching further back into its Indo-Germanic (Indo-European) roots, we find that it traces back to the word GHODH, which means “union,” even “sexual union.” No wonder this meaning is still evident in the Dutch and German gade. It is also not difficult to see it in the English “gadfly” and “gadding about.”

2009/6/23 22:53Profile

Re: Has anyone done much studying on the tetragrammaton? (a couple unanswered questio

Hi anonymity,

I suggest you google Sacred Names Bible, and, Names of God, and, seriously consider investing in a Newberry Bible, which specifically annotates the KJV with grammatical and information about which name is being used. I have an old one (1955) which I found online for less than $50.

When I have time later today I hope, I'll post what it says about Elohim, Jehovah, I am that I am and Jah or Yah. The notes also list Jehovah's titles and in the New Testament section there are symbols to bring to attention the emphasis of the original Greek.

I recommend two websites for understanding Hebrew better - biblewheel.com and hebrew4christians.com.

2009/6/24 0:34
thomasm

Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada

Re:

When I struggled with the name of God, years ago, this word stuck out to me and settled it.

John 17:11niv John17:12niv

{addition}
...there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12niv

Love in Christ tom

2009/6/24 1:23Profile

Here are the extracts from Newberry. I am not quoting each section in full, just the parts pertaining to the Hebrew words, and where there is a tense connected which adds to the meaning. I hope you find them as illuminating as I did.

ELOAH
God singular, from Ahlah, to worship, to adore, presents God as the one supreme object of worship, the Adorable One.

ELAH, or Elahah
corresponds to Eloah in Chaldee
(Ezra, Daniel, and one verse in Jeremiah).

ELOHIM
God, plural of Eloah, occurs about 2500 times first in Gen 1:1. Here it is joined to a verb in the singluar "God (Elohim, plural) created" (singular) - showing Trinity acting in unity.

[i]Note from me: Elohim is not limited to three. I believe the Hebrew indicates more than two, and, there is a name which indicates only two - not sure which. See the seven spirits of God in Revelation, and the stone with seven eyes in Zechariah. There's more, but I can't expound it.) Anyone, if I'm mistaken, please challenge with a correction. Thanks.[/i]

JEHOVAH
The Lord. The title Jehovah occurs about 7600 times but it is generally rendered 'the Lord', and only occasionally 'Jehovah'. [i]I can give you references for these occurences if you want them.[/i]

It first occurs, in connection with Elohim, in Gen 2:4. and alone, Gen 4:1, 3.

The signification is - He that always was, that always is, and that ever is to come. (Rev 1:4).

It is a combination in marvellous perfection of the three periods of existence in one word, the future, the present and the past.

First Yehi "he will be", long tense
Second Hove "being", participle,
Third Hahyah "he was", short tense.

YEH(i)(h)OV(a)(hahy)AH. Yehovah or Jehovah.

EHYEH ASHER AHYEH - I am that I am
Leterally "I will be that I will be". But as the so-called future or long tense expresses not simply the [i]future,[/i] but also and especially [i]continuance[/i], the force is, "I continue to be, and will be, what I continue to be, and will be"

EL SHADDAY
God Almighty, or God All-Sufficient. El, God singular, Shadday, plural, either from Shaddid, almighty, strong or from SHADDAY, the breasts.

This title combines the singular title El, with the plural title Shadday.

EDIT: If I may add: the 'all-sufficiency' of God is likened in the last title, to the all-sufficiency of breast milk, which satisfies a baby's need for nutrition until six months old or longer. Of course, this ties in with 1 Pet 2:2.
(1 Cor 3:2 and Heb 5:12, 13 are slightly different.)

God used this picture to comfort Abraham that He really could give him everything that he needed.

2009/6/24 11:21

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy