SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Miss USA pageant

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
wind_blows

Miss USA pageant

Hey
some of us were discussing what happened recently with the whole Miss USA pageant(I don't watch, info comes from the news) any way there were some that thought she was really courageous to speak out about marriage being between a man and woman. I don't want to take that away from her, but we were discussing how someone who professes to be a christian would go on television and basically walk around in nothing but a bikini for the whole world to see. What about modesty? It seems that in the church modesty is just not taught that much at least when it comes to how we dress. Not that any of us is perfect because we are not but isn't it time that we as Christians start walking out in our lives "all" that we profess to believe. I was just really surprised at how many did not have a problem with her wearing next to nothing because it was a competition?

Thanks for listening as I said this was a kind of top topic this evening and I just kind of wondered what every else thought. Am I being a prude?

Your little sis in Him
Elizabeth

2009/4/22 21:29Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Miss USA pageant

Quote:
Am I being a prude?

No. God's word does not change, regardless who says what.

Elizabeth, you are not the first person to ask this question and you won't be the last, unfortunately.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

EDIT: After posting I thought of a few more things. Situations like this will generate a lot of questions in some people's minds like 'she is a Christian and she [un]dresses like this and has a testimony, why can't I?' Elizabeth, this can become a real stumbling block to young females. Let me assure you of one thing: you are responsible to be obedient to God. Don't look around and allow others to influence you to do what is questionable, regardless of their testimony. She has to answer to God for herself, just like you have to. We do not know what her relationship with God is like, but you are responsible for yours: protect it! God bless you, Elizabeth!

2009/4/22 21:43Profile

Re:

The issue of the bikini and the whole premise of the Miss America pageant is why I havent commented. I'll not sit in judgement of her salvation, but she does need to learn something about modesty.

Now, I think the whole "gay marriage" question was a complete set up to make a big bru-ha-ha in the media. I think this Perez Hilton guy is a grade-A jerk. He knew what her answer was before they asked her. The whole thing is a sham. She was just too naive to see it coming.

And since when in America is it wrong to have an opinion? We have to sit back and listen to the trash coming out of Hollywood and the elite policital left... but we cant have a voice?

This country is going to hell in a hand basket faster than most of us realize. Our founding fathers should be thankful they are not around to see all this.

Krispy

2009/4/23 7:05
wind_blows

Re:

Hey Krispy(the first part of your name makes me think of donuts:-)

Wanted to come back and say that if I sounded as if I was judging her salvation, that was not what I meant. I don't know her, or her heart so I can't speak to that. I also think she was set up with the question, and like I said I don't want to take anything away from her for how she answered. I was in my own probably inapt way trying to comment more on the modesty issue of it all. It was not just the bikini that she wore, the evening gown dress was pretty revealing. I just think that its time as Christians if we are gonna wear His name and walk out this life in Him, then we need to start by learning what it means to obey and submit to Him. And I think that means in all things.(speaking of myself to) I guess yesterday was a eye opening day for me, because of the whole earth day discussion with people wanting to basically worship the earth(not people from SI) and then later on having this topic and seeing how many people don't seem to care at all about modesty(again not talking about people from SI) just really surprised me. All this coming from people who profess to be saved??? I just find it really sad

Anyhow thanks for sharing your thoughts brother, hope I did not offend in anyway:-)

Your little sis in Him

2009/4/23 11:17Profile

Re:

No, not at all... I understood exactly what you were saying. But thanx for the clarification anyway!

I agree with what you said.

Krispy

2009/4/23 12:14
Lorijean

Austin, Texas

Re:

I understand and agree with what all of you are saying. A Christian should dress modestly, and it does seem peculiar that a Christian could have no problem dressing they way they do in a beauty pageant. I had those same thoughts when I saw the story on the news. But, I think it’s also a “growth thing”. Praise God, He meets us where we are!

I’m embarrassed to remember, as a born-again believer who wanted to please God and serve Him with all my heart, going to the local public swimming pool in that same attire. It never occurred to me that it was wrong – I had no idea. I had worn a bathing suit publicly all my life, so it’s just the way I lived. But in time, God in His longsuffering and mercy showed me what modesty means and how to dress in a way that would please Him. Maybe it took longer because the church we attended didn’t preach on modesty or dress standards. Now we have the opposite problem. The church we attend now has dress standards that sometimes border on legalism!

Lorijean

2009/4/23 12:39Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy