SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is a lie

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
wind_blows

What is a lie

Hey
I have a question for you guys. I understand that lying is sin, but I was wondering what actually classifies as a lie. I mean is it only a lie when you purposefully say something that is not true(make stuff up) or is with holding information from someone a lie as well. For example if I am asked a question directly about something and I avoid answering fully the question is that like lying. If I only give partial information and hold back some is that lying according to the Word?

Just looking to understand this better.

Thanks
your little sis in Him

2009/4/18 2:00Profile
Totality

Sulphur Springs, Texas

Re: What is a lie

Quote:

wind_blows wrote:
Hey
I have a question for you guys. I understand that lying is sin, but I was wondering what actually classifies as a lie. I mean is it only a lie when you purposefully say something that is not true(make stuff up) or is with holding information from someone a lie as well. For example if I am asked a question directly about something and I avoid answering fully the question is that like lying. If I only give partial information and hold back some is that lying according to the Word?

Just looking to understand this better.

Thanks
your little sis in Him

Well, God commands us not to lie and yet He told Samuel the Prophet to go anoint David and if they ask him where he is going to say that he will sacrifice, which he did. God directly told Samuel to withhold information, so it can't possibly be a lie

2009/4/18 2:16Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Dear Elizabeth,

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 [b][color=CC3300]Even the Spirit of truth[/color][/b]; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

What is a lie?

In my opinion, anything that is not of the Spirit.

Kind regards,
white stone

2009/4/18 9:53Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Hey White_Stone

I appreciate your answer but I am not sure I fully understand it. Are you saying then that there are times when if one feels the leading of the Holy Spirit to with hold information then that is not lying.

I don't want to be overly vague but I am trying to seek advice for a friend with out giving to much information as per her request. Lets use this example, say that someone asks you a direct question like, "Why are you bringing your car into the shop today?" you tell them that you want them to look at the oil leak in the car. "They ask is that all that is wrong with the car?" You say yes even though you know that the muffler may need some work to? Is that a lie not to answer the question completely with all information?

I know this is a silly example but it is the best I can think. Thanks for your advice.

Your little sis in Him

2009/4/18 11:26Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

To your question on what constitutes a lie and do I share info...

I have learned that when people ask questions that for any reason I do not want to share any info, just tell them you do not want to say. This is blunt, up front and when said in a nice way it will not offend. You may say something like this "I would not mind saying but there are reasons why I cannot discuss this...." Now in the case of the muffler, just tell them you know the muffler has problems but you do not want to fix it at the moment. Simple.

I have learned it is best to say the truth even when it appears to be awkward. But you do not have to say everything you know and tell them you cannot discuss it. It is best to be upfront with answers that way people will not be second guessing you which will create more problems.

Now in the case of a Christian being interrogated by a law officer about the whereabouts of other Believers, etc., the answer will have to come from the Holy Spirit. Scripture tells us to not premeditate on these answers.

Does this answer your question?

ginnyrose

2009/4/18 12:51Profile
JoanM

I love the way Jesus answered questions.

He always spoke the Truth. There is much to learn and to be gained by a meditative study these questions and both His answers and HOW He answered them. Some of it is right to the point of what you wonder about.

2009/4/18 13:44Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Hey
Thanks for the reply ginnyrose, and everyone. I do think I understand better and am grateful for the wisdom you guys shared.

Sometimes it is really hard to be completely honest with people. I always try to speak with those around me honestly, but I do also try to be careful of their feelings if possible. My friend is facing a difficult decision so this advice has been helpful to us both.

Thanks
your little sis in Him

2009/4/18 17:21Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
is with holding information from someone a lie as well. For example if I am asked a question directly about something and I avoid answering fully the question is that like lying. If I only give partial information and hold back some is that lying according to the Word?

One of the challenges of our Facebook society is how we manage to keep our own privacy...our own secrets. Our personal information is a type of property, and people simply don't have a right to it just because they feel entitled to "the Truth."

For instance, tell me, were any of your parents alcoholics? How much money do you have in savings? Tell the truth now!(sic)

Even our Lord kept secrets from people. He had no problem giving obtuse answers or refusing to answer impolitic or improper inquiries. "Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things." (Mark 11:27-33)"

The Father himself keeps secrets. "Truly you are a God who hides himself, O God and Savior of Israel." Isaiah 45:15

Even now, though men of academic learning feel they can search out all mysteries and conjure up answers to their questions, the Lord still is able to keep secrets. "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever" Deuteronomy 29:29

The bottom line...people are out of line when they assume that because you value being truthful, that you are somehow ethically bound to give them any piece of information they want from you.

Blessings,

MC

2009/4/18 18:31Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Hi wind,

I just went through this discussion with my grandfather, who thinks that getting a wrong answer on a test is a lie, because you are decieving yourself, accidentally giving someone wrong directions is a lie, ect... He thinks lies can be unintentional. This is patently false:

It is simple- a lie is the intent to decieve or act deceptivly.

Here is a biblical definition of lie from Leviticus 6:2

Kachash (strongs 3584)- To be untrue, in word or deed- decieve, deny...deal falsely.

Use the distinction of [i]intention[/i] verses unintention for your foundation of discerning what a lie is.
Thanks,
Joe

2009/4/18 19:05Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
but I was wondering what actually classifies as a lie

I would say that a good working definition of a lie would be; something that is not true, spoken by someone with the intention to deceive.

Quote:
If I only give partial information and hold back some is that lying according to the Word?

Yes it is lying but the question you didn't ask is, "is it ever right to lie?" I think the Bible shows situations where it is right. Rahab is the classic example, she lied about the whereabouts of the spies and she had no choice but to lie or else break a higher moral good. Had she told the truth then innocent lives would have been lost. She lied rather than sacrifice those innocent lives. By the way, she's on the geneology of Jesus Christ and also in the faith hall of fame in Hebrews 11.

In Christ,

Ron

2009/4/18 19:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy