SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Something is wrong . . .

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Re:

Hi Matt,

Maybe you should lay off of the television - it is one of Satan's favorite tools in the polluting of God's people. Also you need to go outside more - to get fresh air and sunshine - which help in the cleansing of the pollutants. Keep praying for the Lord to break through the fog.

I will be in prayer for you my friend.

2009/4/10 23:00Profile

Re:

MattC - the only way to fight a lie is with The Truth.

First you need to not watch that television.

We are what we feed on.

Just call a lie a lie and call out to GOD by reading His WORD. Whenever one of those lies come to your mind - just call it a lie and quote Scripture.

Jesus Himself Only used Scripture against Satan himself.

None of us have encountered Satan himself but Jesus did and Only used Scripture to defeat those temptations and that lying spirit.

You [b]can[/b] "retake" the battlefield of your own mind - but only by what you determine to allow into your mind.

Face your fears head on. Don't give in to "paranoia" but fight it by doing good for others.

Our minds are given freewill which is minute by minute "choices" of what we'll "think and believe".

Please get into the battle mode. Protect yourself from anything secular and get into His Word.

You have our prayers and His Love.

2009/4/10 23:05

Re:

Earendel, you asked that we read a whole thread on that forum and I did and you asked the question of what you could have done differently with that person. I answered and you came back with an apples for oranges reply.
What I only have left to say now is, if I [i]were[/i] a Brother, I'd give you a longer answer then this one

Take care in the things of GOD.

2009/4/10 23:16

Re:

Moderation is the key to living in this present age. We say we throw out the TV, but something is going to take it's place and it's not going to be the bible or reading the word, lets not kid ourselves. God weans us off of this world little by little so that each part of our being is established and seasoned with grace. We are creatures of habit and regular routines is what we like. The internet is a huge industry and by just one click I can get into all kinds of clixxs, so what we have done is we have just exchanged one thing for another. For many of us, food will take the place of that bad habit and then we'll become gluttons, hate ourselves for it and mope around for several years until we muster enough strength to get rid of it. I hear and see this stuff all the time, and anyone that says otherwise, your fooling yourself or your the exception to the rule or you've gone through the above and is now ready to wise up.

It takes a long time to get settled into moderation, a long time. When we got saved, we had more hang ups then sinners did. What a mess of habits, faults and quirks. But God is faithful to straighten out the mess. And during this time of cutting away there will be times that we do revert back to that comfort food, that comfort blanket, that show or whatever. It ain't easy. But I have also found in my journey that we don't stay there long, we continue on the trek. And I thank God for His Grace. Without it, were doomed. The first failure I would have been stoned to death. I am thankful for the death burial and resurrection to which our Christ has brought these things to us that we may grow thereby.

2009/4/10 23:19

Re:

Quote:
Moderation is the key to living in this present age. We say we throw out the TV, but something is going to take it's place and it's not going to be the bible or reading the word, lets not kid ourselves.

Where is this in the Bible? This is horrible counsel, with all due respects. I never read anything remotely like this in the New Testament.

Do we say to the theif - to start off by just stealing less each week and if you stop stealing - be sure something else will take that sin's place?

How do you know that if someone stops TV that they won't go to their Bible?

Moderation? What of the alcoholic that gets saved? Do you tell him this same philosophy?

We grow into His nature progressively and not over-night - but to say a human being cannot resist turning the TV on without some other sin taking it's place is sheer error. And to say that we need "moderation" instead of "cesstation" of these things is not Biblical neither.

Did you read Mack's plea?

I find your post purely secular and not sound Biblical guidance.

We grow in the fruit of the spirit and the below from what Peter mentions ... but most of these foolish time wasters CAN be cut off without "withdrawls" that need some other sin to take it's place. Where you got all of what you posted DeepThinker did not come from the Bible.
Do we gradually stop all sins? I should say not and I'm not a legalist. Most sins of the flesh can be stopped. "Exchanging" one sin for another is "human nature". Where is that in your Bible?
Try Cesstation of catering to the flesh and not that "moderation & exchanging" of sin theory and you'd see growth by leaps and bounds.

2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Pe 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

2009/4/11 1:09

Re:

I have to add this. Pride is the root of all sin. Loving self more than GOD.

Pride or self says - "I deserve this" ... whatever "this" is for any of us.

The deep love for and fear of GOD is the only antidote to this pride / self controling thing that humanists call "human nature" and allowing ourselves to be washed by the cleansing of The WORD.
Faith comes by hearing and hearing The WORD of GOD - also Jesus' Name is The WORD of GOD - "The Living Word."
For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Heb 4:12
Praying Psalm 119 is a good place to start as well.

With prayer.

2009/4/11 1:35

Re:

Quote:
Do we say to the thief - to start off by just stealing less each week and if you stop stealing - be sure something else will take that sin's place?

Only a religious mind would come to this conclusion and reasoning. People that have read what I posted know full well that what I said is true. Those, like yourself seemed to have not "been there", so it doesn't apply to you, move on to the next post Brother!

It's easy to quote the bible. Purging of one's sins is not easy. There is a lot of ups and downs. Oh, when you start out in this faith, you have the bull by the horns, you feel great, your standing for the truth (we think we are). Until one day, BAM, God knocks the wind out our sails and brings us down to a low place to teach us some things about Himself. Teaching us that if we want to be great like Him, we must first humble ourselves as a servant. That is a humbling experience, and it ain't easy. Quote the bible, blah blah blah, quoting it means nothing unless the Spirit is quickened and makes it alive in you.

People know what I am talking about, it's to them that I post this. This is for us milk guzzlers.

2009/4/11 8:23
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

This conversation reminded me of Mark 2:22. So I looked in Matthew Henry's commentary (I know he is just a man, so his words are not Scripture, but I give them some weight). He says:

Quote:
2. That these were early days with them, and they were not so able for the severe exercises of religion as hereafter they would be. The Pharisees had long accustomed themselves to such austerities; and John Baptist himself came neither eating nor drinking. His disciples from the first inured themselves to hardships, and thus found it easier to bear strict and frequent fasting, but it was not so with Christ's disciples; their Master came eating and drinking, and had not bred them up to the difficult services of religion as yet, for it was all in good time. To put them upon such frequent fasting at first, would be a discouragement to them, and perhaps drive them off from following Christ; it would be of as ill consequence as putting new wine into old casks, or sewing new cloth to that which is worn thin and threadbare, v. 21, 22. Note, God graciously considers the frame of young Christians, that are weak and tender, and so must we; nor must we expect more than the work of the day in its day, and that day according to the strength, because it is not in our hands to give strength according to the day. Many contract an antipathy to some kind of food, otherwise good, by being surfeited with it when they are young; so, many entertain prejudices against the exercises of devotion by being burthened with them, and made to serve with an offering, at their setting out. Weak Christians must take heed of over-tasking themselves, and of making the yoke of Christ otherwise than as it is, easy, and sweet, and pleasant.

I do agree with limiting the exposure to TV and increasing the exposure to the Word of God. Praise Jesus that you are aware of the state of your soul. Cling to Him, seek to get as close to Him as you can. He can and will save you.

white stone

2009/4/11 9:12Profile

Re: Something is wrong . . .

Quote:
Something is terribly wrong, but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

There certainly is a lot of wrong we can think of right off the bat. I remember when the September 11th events were taking place, and that early part of the day, I had such an overwhelming burden that I had to find a outlet some place other than the street that I was on to allow the Holy Spirit to express His desire through me. I remember weeping uncontrollably and kept wondering why I was weeping, and I knew it was not for me. When I got home, the events that unravelled were devastating.

There is a plan in motion to harass the Christian, the policies that are being made in America is not for the betterment of society, but to corner the true believer. For example, Obama wants to remove the "conscience clause" so that no physician will turn any one seeking abortion. That would be just the beginning. If they have their way with this bill, Gays will push for those who have a conviction that homosexuality is wrong to be targeted.

Is there something amiss? I think so!

2009/4/11 10:00
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Php 4:5 [i]Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.[/i]

[b]Php 4:5 -
Let your moderation be known unto all men[/b] - That is, let it be such that others may see it. This does not mean that they were to make an ostentatious display of it, but that it should be such a characteristic of their lives that it would be constantly visible to others. The word “moderation” - ἐπιεικὲς epieikes - refers to restraint on the passions, general soberness of living, being free from all excesses. The word properly means that which is fit or suitable, and then propriety, gentleness, mildness - They were to indulge in no excess of passion, or dress, or eating, or drinking. They were to govern their appetites, restrain their temper, and to be examples of what was proper for people in view of the expectation that the Lord would soon appear.

[b]The Lord is at hand[/b] - Is near; see the Phi_3:20 note; 1Co_16:22 note. This has the appearance of being a phrase in common use among the early Christians, and as being designed to keep before their minds a lively impression of an event which ought, by its anticipation, to produce an important effect. Whether, by this phrase, they commonly understood the coming of the Lord to destroy Jerusalem, or to remove them by death, or to judge the world, or to reign personally on the earth, it is impossible now to determine, and is not very material to a proper understanding of its use here. The idea is, that the expectation that the Lord Jesus will “come,” ought to be allowed to produce moderation of our passions, in our manner of living, in our expectations of what this world can furnish, and in our desires of earthly good. On him who feels that he is soon to die, and to stand at the bar of God - on him who expects soon to see the Lord Jesus coming in the clouds of heaven, it cannot fail to have this effect. People indulge their passions - are extravagant in their plans of life, and in their expectations of earthly good for themselves and for their families, because they have no realizing sense of the truth that there is before them a vast eternity. He that has a lively expectation that heaven will soon be his, will form very moderate expectations of what this world can furnish.

Albert Barnes

[i]Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled. But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;

And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.[/i]

1Co 8:7-12

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=8295&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]Others May, You Cannot[/url]

2009/4/11 10:03Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy