SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : AWT Entertainment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
lwpray

Sweden

AWT Entertainment

I hope that we will remove from our hearts every ugly thing and every unbeautiful thing and every dead thing and every unholy thing that might prevent us from worshipping the Lord Jesus Christ in the beauty of holiness. Now I am quite sure that this kind of thing is not popular. The world does not want to hear it and the half-saved churches of the evangelical fold do not want to hear it. They want to be entertained while they are edified. Entertain me and edify me without pain.
(“The Chief End of Man,” Sermon #9, Toronto, 1962)

2004/8/17 13:34Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: AWT Entertainment

Then there are some among us these days who have to depend upon truckloads of gadgets to get their religion going, and I am tempted to ask: What will they do when they don’t have the help of the trappings and gadgets? The truck can’t come along where they are going!
(The Tozer Pulpit, Book 8, p. 50)

2004/8/18 7:51Profile
lwpray

Sweden

The tragic results of this spirit are all about us: shallow loves, hollow religious philosophies, the preponderance of the element of fun in gospel meetings, the glorification of men, trust in religious externalities, quasi-religious fellowships, salesmanship methods, the mistaking of dynamic personality for the power of the Spirit. These and such as these are the symptoms of an evil disease, a deep and serious malady of the soul.
(The Pursuit of God, pp. 62-63)

2004/8/18 10:22Profile
lwpray

Sweden

IN OUR DAY WE MUST BE DRAMATIC ABOUT EVERYTHING. We don’t want God to work unless He can make a theatrical production of it. We want Him to come dressed in costumes with a beard and with a staff. We want Him to play a part according to our ideas. Some of us even demand that He provide a colorful setting and fireworks as well!
(The Tozer Pulpit, Book 8, pp. 48-49)

2004/8/19 11:05Profile
moreofHim

Re: entertainment

I wanted to thank you for posting this series. My daughter (14) has been wanting to read this because of her love and gifting for worship and music. It will help keep her focused as she grows and ministers in her calling. We have not bought the book yet- but this is good for her for now. :)

In Him, Chanin

2004/8/19 14:10Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

The cuts and quotes are take from:

A.W. Tozer
On Worship and Entertainment

SELECTED EXCERPTS
Compiled by
JAMES L. SNYDER

Christian Publications
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

2004/8/19 14:21Profile
moreofHim

Re: entertainment

Thank you, Lars.

2004/8/19 14:32Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Let’s pray that God will bring conviction on the world. Let’s pray that He will send conviction back. Religion has become so popular now that it is shown in theaters, sung over radio and in barn dances. Just one more form of entertainment.
We fundamentals and evangelicals just will not believe the truth about ourselves and the kind of people we are. So we have a popular religion but very little power because we have very little conviction, very little repentance and very little sorrow.
(Sermon, “Men Do Not Believe the Truth about Themselves,” John 8:38, General Council)

2004/8/21 12:15Profile
lwpray

Sweden

The tragic results of this spirit are all about us: shallow loves, hollow religious philosophies, the preponderance of the element of fun in gospel meetings, the glorification of men, trust in religious externalities, quasi-religious fellowships, salesmanship methods, the mistaking of dynamic personality for the power of the Spirit. These and such as these are the symptoms of an evil disease, a deep and serious malady of the soul.

2004/8/22 4:46Profile
lwpray

Sweden

But the evangelicals of which we are a part say, “Let the cross kill Jesus but we will live on and be happy and have fun.” But the cross on the hill has got to become the cross in the heart. When the cross on the hill has been transformed by the miraculous grace of the Holy Ghost into the cross in the heart, then we begin to know something of what it means and it will become to us the cross of power.
(Sermon #40 on Hebrews, Toronto)

2004/8/25 12:04Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy