Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Preachers and preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
lwpray

Sweden

Preachers and preaching

Another kind of religious leader must arise among us. He must be of the old prophet type, a man who has seen visions of God and has heard a voice from the Throne. When he comes (and I pray God there will be not one but many) he will stand in flat contradiction to everything our smirking, smooth civilization holds dear. He will contradict, denounce and protest in the name of God and will earn the hatred and opposition of a large segment of Christendom.

2004/8/17 1:28Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: Preachers and preaching

THE HOLY SPIRIT rules out all of this sparkle and charm and pulpit presence and personal magnetism. Instead, He whispers to us: “God wants to humble you and fill you with Himself and control you so that you can become part of the eternal work that God wants to do in the earth in your day!”

2004/8/17 13:22Profile

Re:

I completely agree with what you wrote. This is your quote: "Another kind of religious leader must arise among us. He must be of the old prophet type, a man who has seen visions of God and has heard a voice from the Throne. When he comes (and I pray God there will be not one but many) he will stand in flat contradiction to everything our smirking, smooth civilization holds dear. He will contradict, denounce and protest in the name of God and will earn the hatred and opposition of a large segment of Christendom."

2004/8/17 15:37
lwpray

Sweden

Re: Preachers and preaching

MANY PERSONS PREACH AND teach. Many take part in the music. Certain ones try to administer God’s work—but if the power of God’s Spirit does not have freedom to energize all they do, these workers might just as well have stayed home.
Natural gifts are not enough in God’s work. The mighty Spirit of God must have freedom to animate and quicken with His overtones of creativity and blessing

2004/8/20 12:19Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
The mighty Spirit of God must have freedom

It seems like what we read in Revelation 3 with the Laodicean church. The Lord is standing at the door knocking. He is outside their church.

Who is going to have the courage to get up and answer the door in this generation? How did He get shut out to begin with? Who showed him the door and made Him unwelcome? How is it that people could be content to have church apart from Christ and the moving of the Holy Spirit? I fear for this generation of leaders. The Great Shepherd is at the door, the Shepherds won't answer and the Sheep are along for the ride.

2004/8/20 13:15Profile
moreofHim

Re:preachers and churches

Quote:
How is it that people could be content to have church apart from Christ and the moving of the Holy Spirit? I fear for this generation of leaders. The Great Shepherd is at the door, the Shepherds won't answer and the Sheep are along for the ride

Don't mean to get off the subject too much, but i was just thinking about this as I passed this huge Baptist church they've been building near our house. I just look at it with sadness because I know that it will be filled because it will be the "new popular" place to go and they think they are doing the Godly thing because they are going to "a church" (and an especially nice, new big one at that). I was sad for the Lord. I just prayed "Jesus I hope you visit that place. Will anyone really be wanting the real You there? Lord, it would be great if you devestated them with your presence." But something tells me they aren't going to WANT to be devestated. :-o

2004/8/20 13:49Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Will anyone really be wanting the real You there?

What a rivoting question! Oh God have mercy! Have we made Christ in the likeness of our own desires? I was in a class once and heard a woman say something to the effect, "I love the Jews- I was raised to love the Jews!" The instructor replied, "You're not in love with the Jews." "Yes, I was raised to love the Jews", she said. The instructor concluded, "You are not in love with the Jews, your in love with the IDEA of the Jews."

Are we in love with our idea of Christ or with the real Christ as He is and has always been? Have we discarded the elements we would like to forget- and fallen in love with a silouette of what Christ really is?

2004/8/20 13:57Profile
lwpray

Sweden

True overcomers

Far more than a play with words:
True overcomers – the ones overcome by the Lord, the ones devastated by the Lord.

A provocation carrying piercing and penetrating power which no one will be able to dodge or ward off:
“Who is going to have the courage to get up and answer the door in this generation?”

L. W.

2004/8/20 14:09Profile
lwpray

Sweden

In love with the IDEA...

“Your in love with the IDEA of. . .”
The difference between being religious and being relevant.
L. W.

2004/8/20 14:12Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: In love with the IDEA...

I have this burning in my heart that when He finally gets in He will deal first with those who have changed His house (the Church- the true Temple) into a den of thieves. He will overthrow the tables of those who are now rich and increased with goods by teaching things they ought not. When there is more emphasis on the need to pay than to pray- the house has been changed!

I can't get this quote someone made yesterday out of my head, "The Lord loves you just pay your tithes." If that is true God have mercy on them. When people are seeking instruction on how they might please God and the emphasis is being placed on them giving their money to that ministry and not upon the real and weightier matters of growing closer to Christ. How close have we come to when Peter told the man "Thy money perish with thee!" It is a dreaded and fearsome thing in my mind.

2004/8/20 15:50Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy