SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Some Stirring Quotes..

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Some Stirring Quotes..

"God waits to be wanted."
A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God
"To insist upon holiness...that is the one thing."
Samuel Brengle

"Passion is not a high emotion, but a steely determination, fired by love, to stay centred in the awareness of Christ's present riseness, a drivenness to remain rooted in the centre of who I am, and a readiness to pay the price of fidelity."
Brennan Manning, Abba's Child

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."
C.S. Lewis

"We must shift our interest from the seen to the unseen."
A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God

"I have a lot more to say about this, but it is hard to get it across to you since you've picked up this bad habit of not listening . By this time you ought to be teachers yourselves, yet here I find you need someone to sit down with you and go over the basics on God again, starting from square one - baby's milk, when you should have been on solid food long ago! Milk is for the beginners, inexperienced in God's ways; solid food is for the mature, who have some practice in telling right from wrong.
So, come on, let's leave the pre-school finger painting exercise and get on with the grand work of art. Grow up in Christ. The foundational truths are in place: turning your back on "salvation by self-help" and turning in trust towards God; baptismal instructions; laying on of hands; resurrection of the dead; eternal judgement. God helping us, we'll stay true to all that. But there's so much more. Let's get on with it!"
the writer of the book of Hebrews

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Jim Elliot

"I want to be so definite and so burning that God will be manifest wherever I go. I am not anxious for place or name, and if God can use me to glorify Him just as well at the rear as at the front, I shall gladly say 'Amen'".
Samuel Brengle

"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he can not imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
C.S. Lewis

"If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honour, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
David Livingstone

Prayer feeds the soul - as blood is to the body, prayer is to the soul - and it brings you closer to God. It also gives you a clean and pure heart...Prayer makes the heart large enough until it can contain God's gift of Himself."
Mother Theresa, The Simple Path

"So, my dear friends, since this is what you have to look forward to, do your very best to be found living at your best, in purity and peace. Interpret our Master's restraint for what it is: salvation.
the apostle Peter

"If God's people could look upon their greatest loss as possibly their one and only supreme opportunity throughout an eternity to prove their love and loyalty and to magnify their Lord, and, instead of repining and fainting and rebelling, would look up and rejoice and count it joy for His dear sake, how would it confuse the Devil and astonish hell, rebuke unbelief and fill the world with light."
Samuel Brengle, after the death of his wife

"The only difference in death between a Christian and one who is not is that the Christian is ready to meet Jesus. A Christian is dead already - dead to the world, but alive to Christ. Death for you as a child of God is to fall asleep in His arms and awake in the other world, alive forever beyond the power of pain, safe forever from all sickness and suffering."
Winkie Pratney, Fire on the Horizon

"Peter and his fellow apostles, on the other hand, became more and more convinced that their Master had truly risen. In fact, they were so sure of it, that they spent the rest of their lives going about the world teaching it as the chief and fundamental reason why men should accept Him as Christ. To men of their sort with almost no resources, this meant a perpetual and staggering record of self-sacrifice, with constant hardship, suffering, persecution, and nothing to look forward to at the end but a bloody death like His. Such men do not ordinarily get themselves crucified or beheaded for an illusion, much less for a lie."
William Thomas Walsh

"I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun - not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
C.S. Lewis

"Most of us will not have to repent of the great evils we have done, but of the apathy that has prevented us from doing anything at all."
Martin Luther King

"Grace makes beauty out of ugly things."
Bono

"While many people have rejected the organised church with it's creed and rules, they will respond to a person who is walking evidence of the transforming power of Jesus Christ."
Robert E. Coleman, commenting on the Asbury Revival, One Divine Moment

"The "least of my brethren" are the hungry and the lonely, not only for food, but for the Word of God; the thirsty and the ignorant not only for water, but also for knowledge, peace, truth, justice and love; the naked and the unloved, not only for clothes but also for human dignity; the unwanted; the unborn child; the racially discriminated against; the homeless and abandoned, not only for a shelter made of bricks, but for a heart that understands, that covers, that loves; the sick, the dying destitutes, and the captives, not only in body, but also in mind and spirit; all those who have lost all hope and faith in life; the alcoholics and dying addicts and all those who have lost God (for them God was but God is) and who have lost all hope in the power of the Spirit."
Mother Theresa, The Simple Path

"All that we have and are is one of the unique and never-to-be repeated ways God has chosen to express Himself in space and time."
Brennan Manning, The Signature of Jesus

"One may wonder why God did not immediately cast Satan into hell, knowing that he would beguile man to sin and thereby bring the human race under judgement. Though no answer can take away the mystery, still it can be observed that the demoniac presence in this world now creates a situation whereby man - through anguish, especially in a vicarious relationship - can learn even greater depths of holy love. As the ultimate cause of all suffering, then, the devil actually fulfills a beneficial function in the divine economy."
Dr Robert Coleman, Singing With The Angels

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
2 Chronicles 7:14

"It may be that in the eyes of God it is a greater honour to be chosen prior to the outbreak of revival, to be an emissary and a channel of the living God in the preparation time, in the harder time, than in revival time itself. Masses of people then will benefit from the flooding of the rivers of God, but the honour of the battlefield, I suggest, is given to the pioneers who prepare the way for the later flood tides. It may be that you now live in the hour of greatest opportunity from God's standpoint. What an hour in which to be alive!"
Hugh Black, Revival - Personal Encounters

"My people's greatest need is my personal holiness."
Robert Murray McCheyne

"Our greatest need is a far greater revelation of who God is."
Joy Dawson

"Sin has been pardoned at such a price that we can not henceforth trifle with it."
C.H. Spurgeon

"Our problem, it seems to me, is not so much to find a message for the age, as to find and keep the beaming joy, the glow, the glory, the radiance, the burning love which are found alone in looking long and daily into the face of Jesus revealing the glory of God, and in humbly, joyously, embracing the cross, and following Him."
Samuel Logan Brengle

"Let us fear God and we shall cease to fear man."
Mohandas K. Gandhi

2004/8/15 15:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy