SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : ? About the Geneva Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lor_E

Montana USA

? About the Geneva Bible

Recently a friend gave me a 1599 Geneva Bible. Does anyone know if there is any aids to study this particular version? Although I have read enough of other things to know that 'v' is usually a u, and the 'f' is usually an s, there are other words that are difficult to understand. I suppose I could compare with the KJ and go to the strongs from there, I just wondered if there was anything comparable for this version of the Bible.

Thank you for any assistance.
Blessings,
Lori

2009/3/19 7:08Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re: ? About the Geneva Bible

Ok, so no one really has heard of a study guide, or such...

Has anyone had much to do with this version?

I had read the foreward and it seems this is the version of the reformers, complete with notes from them. Does anyone know anything about this version?

Thanks for any advice on this version.
Lori

2009/3/21 10:50Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: ? About the Geneva Bible

I read from the Geneva Bible. Yes, it is a Reformation-era Bible with notes from Reformers. It was translated by Reformed Christians fleeing from persecution, and not by the authority of any state-sanctioned translation team. It was by the people for the people, hence it is sometimes called the "People's Bible".

It sounds like you have a facsimile copy, since it still has the older spellings. The copy I have is the reprint from Tolle Lege Press, who modernised the spelling and chose a more readable typeset. The text is unchanged. They are very nice editions - I have the basic hardback.

I'm not aware of a stand-alone study guide to go with the Geneva Bible. The Tolle Lege edition I mentioned has a brief glossary in the back with the definitions of the older words.

www.genevabible.com

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/3/21 11:39Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Thank you very much, I appreciate it very much. Sounds like just what I needed.

blessings,
Lori

2009/3/22 7:42Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

This is good to know, because I have the facsimile copy as well. Thanks Taylor.

Quote:

TaylorOtwell wrote:
I read from the Geneva Bible. Yes, it is a Reformation-era Bible with notes from Reformers. It was translated by Reformed Christians fleeing from persecution, and not by the authority of any state-sanctioned translation team. It was by the people for the people, hence it is sometimes called the "People's Bible".

It sounds like you have a facsimile copy, since it still has the older spellings. The copy I have is the reprint from Tolle Lege Press, who modernised the spelling and chose a more readable typeset. The text is unchanged. They are very nice editions - I have the basic hardback.

I'm not aware of a stand-alone study guide to go with the Geneva Bible. The Tolle Lege edition I mentioned has a brief glossary in the back with the definitions of the older words.

www.genevabible.com

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/3/22 10:27Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy