SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : This reprehensible laxity, is misnamed "love"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Miccah

Wisconsin

This reprehensible laxity, is misnamed "love"

[b][color=FF0000]This reprehensible laxity, is misnamed "love"[/color][/b]

(Arthur Pink, [color=0000CC]"Love Reproving"[/color] 1943)

Few words have been used more inaccurately and loosely in recent years, than has "love." With a great many people--it is but a synonym for moral laxity, weakness of character, a taking the line of least resistance, a quiet tolerating of what is felt to be wrong.

Multitudes of parents have supposed they were treating their children "lovingly" when they overlooked their folly, made excuses for their wildness, and refused to discipline them for disobedience. They have prided themselves on being "kinder" toward their children than the "stern measures" which were meted out to themselves in their own youth. But it is laxity--and not love--which allows a child to have its own way. "He who spares his rod--hates his son; but he who loves him--chastens him early" (Proverbs 13:14). Let those of our readers who have young children ponder Proverbs 19:18; 22:15; 23:13, 14; 29:15, 17, and remember, that those are the words of Him who is Love!

This same evil has held sway in the churches. Leniency and weakness have overridden righteousness and faithfulness. Instead of maintaining and enforcing the discipline which God's Word enjoins--the great majority of the churches have winked at even glaring sins, refusing to deal with those who walk disorderly. This reprehensible laxity, is misnamed "love". A mushy sentimentality which shrank from "hurting the feelings" of others--has ousted all concern for the glory of Christ and the honor of His house.

This is one of the inevitable effects of the lopsided preaching of the pulpit, where the 'love' and 'grace' of God were constantly proclaimed--while His 'justice' and 'wrath' were studiously ignored. God is 'light' (1 John 1:5) as well as 'love' (1 John 4:8); 'holy' as well as 'merciful'; 'severe' as well as 'good' (Romans 11:22). Unless the balance is preserved between those two sides of the Divine character, not only will He be grievously misrepresented--but the most serious results will follow!

2009/3/19 3:17Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: This reprehensible laxity, is misnamed "love"

It is easy to see this so prevalent in this day and age.

A misuse of scripture says, love covers a multitude of sins. Or rather, overlook to sin to keep the people coming.

The scripture in James 5v20 says, 'Let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins'

From the error of his way.

Proverbs 10v12 tells us that love covers a multitude of sins. That love is shown through correction, not ignoring the sin.

May God help us to be loving His way, not ours.

2009/3/19 8:04Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: This reprehensible laxity, is misnamed "love"

AMEN and AMEN!

I think about this concept a lot and in thinking about it I always visual it this way.

Now suppose there is a bridge out and before you get to it there is a sign "BRIDGE OUT" on a barrier with another sign pointing to a detour. Now suppose you are standing nearby and a car comes a careening up the road and you see it go around the sign and head on down the road. You know that they will meet with certain disaster if they continue on their way. What will you do? Stand there silently and watch them go by or will you shout, wave your arms working to get their attention to alert them of certain disaster up ahead? Which responce is the loving one? So it is with life and sin. Do we sound a warning when we see sin practiced by blinded persons or do we remain silent?

Excellent article. Thanks for posting..

ginnyrose

2009/3/19 22:47Profile

Re:

The church has catered to the will of the people either out of their own greed by growing their church or out of a desire not to offend.

When Moses went up to the mountain to be with God, the man left to tend the sheep named Aaron decided that instead of holding true to what was right he would let the people decide. Hence the golden calf was born. A worship of our own creation crafted in our own mindset.

Fast forwarding to now, Christ has gone to be with the Father for awhile leaving many Shepherds behind to tend His sheep. Many have taken the path of Aaron. They dominate the airwaves and pulpits of this time. It's big business. They cheapen God's mercy by winking at sin and many leaders are caught up in sin themselves. Holiness and obedience are lost to a lazy pulpit.

Mercy and grace are, first and formost, for the unbelieving sinner. God's love in mercy and grace after conversion for the believer moving forward should be the exception rather than the rule. Holiness and obedience should be the ruling and dominant expectation in Christ for a believer.

Christ didn't die so the unbelieving sinner can now become a believing sinner. One wonders whether, in this case, a true believer can actually live in this manner. If one is in it for the fire insurance policy, then that selfish motive does not denote a truly repentent heart. But I also believe our obedience in Christ should come from our love for Him, not out of any legalistic obligation. The military obeys their commander out of a disciplined obligation and strict legalistic expectation. There's no relationship there between the commander and his subbordinates. It's not obedience out of love. However, in contrast, when I obeyed my father as a child I didn't do it exclusively out of obligation, I knew he loved me because we were bound by blood. He my father, and me his offspring. He looked after me and protected me. And when chastening came I knew I had done wrong. But I didn't fear being disowned and thrown out on the street. The obedience I had was wrapped up in a loving relationship.

Similarly we are bound to God through Christ's blood. Where's the love for God that WANTS to obey in this relationship? Where's the loving gratititude towards a God who gave His Son up for us and now wants us to obey in the knowledge of this love for us? This is what I believe is missing, loving to obey out of love for Him. Hungering and thirsting for righteousness in a love born of God. Today's pulpit acts as if obedience is some kind of legalistic yoke and not a God mandated requirement in love. They rarely preach that our strength in obedience is Christ Himself. I wonder if they even understand this.

2009/3/20 7:57
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Christ didn't die so the unbelieving sinner can now become a believing sinner.

This is an impossibility, is it not?

Quote:

Where's the love for God that WANTS to obey in this relationship? Where's the loving gratitude towards a God who gave His Son up for us and now wants us to obey in the knowledge of this love for us? This is what I believe is missing, loving to obey out of love for Him.

I was thinking long and hard about this concept today (and I had not read this post). Actually, I am quite concerned that my love for him is wholly inadequate. As far as people are concerned, too many people have disappointed me, have let me down when I needed them the most: in short, people are so flawed that it effects my trust in them. How, now am I able to love someone - who I had never seen - with no reserve, with a lot of woollies in my emotion? I believe and act on it and am looking forward to the day when my love will be perfected. This is my conclusion. (Jesus says "If ye love me keep my commandments" so how do I regard these commandments? With a submissive heart/mind or with disdain? Maybe this give one a clue how much love there is? am wondering...)

ginnyrose

2009/3/20 21:21Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy