SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is the big deal anyway??

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tinluke

New England USA

What is the big deal anyway??

I wish I could say that I'm shocked by all the fuss over Pastor Wilkerson's recent "Urgent Message" but sadly, I'm not at all. Why wouldn't our Heavely Father warn us to prepare physically and spiritually?! Yes, I believe God can send manna from Heaven and I totally believe in miracles. Perhaps the biggest miracle of all will be when God's people stop squabling over silly things and start OBEYING HIM! I think it would be an absolute miracle if God's people started obeying His warnings and doing what He told them to do.

2009/3/15 12:08Profile

Re: What is the big deal anyway??

You have to remember there are people that don't even believe that prophets exists today. Thats crowd number 1. Crowd number 2 are those that reject the baptism of the holy Spirit, which means that the gifts of the Spirit don't operate in the church today. Crowd 3 are those that put God in a box and He is neatly set so that nothing is disturbed, that means that anybody like David Wilkerson that comes along acting like a fanatic shouldn't be heard or taken seriously. There you have it, it's all based upon where you stand in your belief and how you view the word of God.

2009/3/15 18:56
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

Deepthinker, one thing i noticed about the belief of the gifts of the spirits our that the ones who believe in it and even perform it , begin to become obsessive with it to the point that some of the churches i have gone too have shortened their sermons to ten minutes or 20 and the majority of the time our getting a spiritual high falling on the ground and dancing around and speaking in tongues. Read the testimonies of wesley, edwards, whitfield even paul washer, these men preached biblically and the holy spirit would come and convict souls to repent. We i think focus on these spiritual gifts and leave out others like the fruit of the spirit, peace, joy, love, meekness, temperance, longsuffering, hope, how about discernment and to preach repentance and the holiness of God, you our filled with the holy spirit. Why only prophecies, tongues, dancing in the spirit, etc. I am not saying that it doesn't happen but the focus is too much on it. I had a friend who made a prophecy to me that was pentcostal and he was wrong, i think he went by feelings on it then it being from God. But you know who knows, the spirit is strong.

2009/3/15 21:50Profile

Re:

I agree with you 100% bible4life:

I was baptised in the Holy Ghost 10 years ago. It changed my life, but I finally had to leave that Church because it was totally focused on signs and wonders.

I believe in the signs and wonders. I have witnessed them with my own eyes, however God has called me to witness to the lost. The end certainly is near, and the harvest is before us.

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

bible4life wrote:
Deepthinker, one thing i noticed about the belief of the gifts of the spirits our that the ones who believe in it and even perform it , begin to become obsessive with it to the point that some of the churches i have gone too have shortened their sermons to ten minutes or 20 and the majority of the time our getting a spiritual high falling on the ground and dancing around and speaking in tongues. Read the testimonies of wesley, edwards, whitfield even paul washer, these men preached biblically and the holy spirit would come and convict souls to repent. We i think focus on these spiritual gifts and leave out others like the fruit of the spirit, peace, joy, love, meekness, temperance, longsuffering, hope, how about discernment and to preach repentance and the holiness of God, you our filled with the holy spirit. Why only prophecies, tongues, dancing in the spirit, etc. I am not saying that it doesn't happen but the focus is too much on it. I had a friend who made a prophecy to me that was pentcostal and he was wrong, i think he went by feelings on it then it being from God. But you know who knows, the spirit is strong.

2009/3/15 23:04
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Actually, I thought "what's the big deal?" about David Wilkerson's prophecy, but perhaps for a different reason.

Time will tell if it comes to pass or not - there is really no part in getting into a fuss about it now. He wants to bold enough to make that kind of prophecy? Fine. Time will tell.

We don't obey David Wilkerson - we obey Scripture. David Wilkerson's prophecy is extra-Biblical, therefore, we have no way of knowing for certain whether it is true or not (yet), so there is really no point in arguing about the validity of it when the truth of the matter is not one of us knows for sure. We must still continue to live godly lives and act with wisdom.

However, I don't think it takes much a prophet to identify the fact that America is in horrible shape culturally, morally, politically, economically, and spiritually.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/3/15 23:26Profile
psalm1

Re:

Calamity is always a safe prediction.

Something will happen sooner or later.

I often wondered if Raman and Ironman's prediction of financial doom was spot on. (it happened almost exactly a year off)

Maybe God put off the calamity i year just so they couldn't take credit.....they bet the farm and lost.

2009/3/16 0:17Profile
passerby

Re: What is the big deal anyway??

(Luk 17:26-27)

"And as it came to pass in the days of Noah, even so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.
They ate, they drank, they married, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all".

2009/3/16 3:10Profile

Re:

Quote:
We, I think focus on these spiritual gifts and leave out others like the fruit of the spirit, peace, joy, love, meekness, temperance, longsuffering, hope, how about discernment and to preach repentance and the holiness of God, you our filled with the holy spirit

I agree totally. Now, with that, the Holy Spirit who is the one who produces the Fruit, also produces the gifts of the Spirit "as He wills". Fruit does not produce right away. Yes, when we repent we feel that overwhelming joy and peace, but that is only the result of being let out of a prison. But that wears away in a few weeks when we are faced with a trial or can't pay our bank loan.

Paul had a balance between the two. He had the fruit and the power, because he said "though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels and I have not Charity, I am just a tinkling sound of cymbal." So Paul knew that without the Fruit of the Spirit the power would be worthless. "Faith worketh by love".

Do we do away with the power of God because people are mishandling it? God forbid. They are like children with toys, they need to be taught some valuable truths about operating the gift that they have received (if indeed it is a gift from God) and the fruit of the Spirit, for they work hand in hand. The Corinthian Church was such a church, Paul was dealing with true believers that had the gifts but they were exhibiting and competing with one another before everyone and Paul had to rebuke them sharply, but he didn't want to discourage their faith from operating in the gifts, just to add to their faith which was gravely lacking. They didn't learn to love one another or those coming into the church. However, they were still God's children, and God loved them. And being a God of love He certainly corrected them and chastised them. Everyone of us has a gift of some sort, and it can be the miraculous, or having an ear to listen that gives the person speaking an understanding that the person listening does understand what they are saying, that can very comforting to know, that falls under the category of "helps". Being a "lesser servant" which what the true meaning of the word "Minister" is, having that spirit of meekness, is something we should all strive for.

For me, I want both the love of God and the compassion to see people healed and delivered by the power of God. I think we've had a lot of demonstration of nothing. People falling on the ground, (which can happen if you've truly been touched by God) but it's become an expected trend that when go up front to be prayed for that you just automatically fall. I remember a minister trying to push me down, He had a hold of my hand I had a firm grip on his, and I wasn't letting go. He looked at me and smiled and said, "Ok". Nothing was going on in his services of late so he was looking for anyone that he can get on the floor so that it would appear that God was moving in their midst. The brother wasn't a Charlton by no means, but no doubt he was discouraged by the lack of the power in his church and sometimes we take matters into our own hands.

But I also remember being in another meeting by a travelling evangelist and I did go up and when he touched me, my body felt limp and I fell, I couldn't stand up. (I am a big man to begin with so I don't readily have faith for the poor guys behind me to catch me, but they did). But it wasn't something that I was looking for, and I still don't look for it because it did nothing for me. For others it may, and I never knock those that do, because we just don't know until they open their mouths to tell of their experience, unless of course we have the God given ability to discern.

2009/3/16 9:33

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy