SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Divorce and Re-marriage

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
TracyInMD

Maryland, USA

Re: Divorce and Re-marriage

I used to think you could get remarried, after all, every pastor I know has ever preached that as long as the person committed adultery that is one reason why you can. Aren't we to follow our pastors? ("Church structure" teaches that--we are to follow our pastors, and I'm not against following authority.) Surely they cannot be wrong when they appear to be careful with God's word. Those same pastors were careful to say that you should make all attempts toward reconciliation. It's all I've ever been taught.

However, I've begun to question all my previous thinking about Christianity, including thoughts on remarriage. This is what I've seen in myself over the last 3 years: self-centered Christianity for most of my saved life. I never really heard the true gospel until this fall...and if you never heard the gospel, how can you really begin to know who God is? Nobody in church has taught me the gravity of my sin, or if they did, I must have minimized it in my fleshly mindset. I'm thankful for the Spirit's teaching, despite all this.

I see the scriptures that make it seem like remarriage is possible...the "except in the case of adultery" scriptures. That sure makes it confusing, if you ask me. By default, my flesh accepts the "sure I can get remarried, IF my spouse commits adultery" option. (I wonder to myself why God would not have been crystal clear, unless He has, and in my self-centeredness, I did not prefer it. Oh, how possible that is, I now see.)

These days I am highly suspicious that God does NOT want people to get remarried. I'm thankful to hear other viewpoints than the ones I've held previously. I mean, if you or I had offended God, wouldn't we want to know? Many will say, "But God forgives!"--of course He does; nobody is saying God doesn't forgive. But IF there are a lot of people who think other than what I think, it now makes me question my previous thinking. Everything is under scrutiny now, as I realize I've believed many lies or half-truths, based on my self-centered view of God.

2009/3/15 6:58Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Guys/Girls

What will you do if the man who God choses to led the next Move of God is married to divorcee?

Think about Hosea told to marry a Harlot.

What about David and Bathsheba For those of us who have experienced moral failure, divorce, or other such life experience, it is a message of hope, healing, and restoration that reminds us that God's agenda is not to crush sinners under his feet, but to heal them and restore their relationship with Him.

At the end of the day Christianity is not about rules or the law. We have all failed to come up to the standard that God has set we are all sinners. Jesus came so we can be free from sin. John 1:29.

But yet God tells us to be Holy as he is Holy 1 Peter 1:16. We are also told to be perfect Matthew 5:48. Are we supposed to find Holy perfection in following Rules and Laws. Heb 7:11

Gal 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

We will never ever find perfection in the flesh we will never in our own strengh be able to please God we must be led by the Spirit of God.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. 13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: 14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

That we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith in Jesus.

Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. 26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

When faith is come we are no longer under the school master(The Law). The laws purpose was to bring us to Christ. After meeting Christ we are to go to perfection. Heb 6:1 but that perfection is not found in the law Heb 7:11 but found in the spirit.

If your reading this post and your divorceed and remarried God does not condem you and neither do I. If anyone is applying pressure on you to leave your current Wife/Husabnd because you married before tell them to get on there bike and take a very, very long ride on it.

You begun in the Spirit, continue in the Spirit.

2009/3/15 18:40Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:
What will you do if the man who God choses to led the next Move of God is married to divorcee?

Question whether or not God really picked the man and wonder whether or not it is truly a move of God.

2009/3/16 13:02Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Quote:

Miccah wrote:
[u][b]Mark 10:11-12 (NKJV)[/b][/u]

11 So He said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her. 12 And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

Adultery is sin. Divorce is sin. Jason is correct. Unless it is remarring your spouse, there is no grounds for a biblical remarriage to another after a divorce.

My friends. I am leaving this conversation with this final thought.

When I go to the Lord and stand in front of Him on that day. I am confident that I will stand before Him and will be able to say that, on this topic, in this post, I stood by His word and His word alone. If anything, I appologize for sounding harsh and uncarring. If I came off this way, I am sorry.

I did not place my own personal thoughts in place of scripture. I did not place my feelings about what I believe is fair and right, above scripture. But that I placed scripture above all else.

Blessings my friends. Follow the Word and the scriptures, not man's interpretation.

2009/3/16 13:17Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Tracy,

I wanted to say that your comment on the subject was very good and honest.

2009/3/16 14:01Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

I've read through this discussion and have done my best to stay out of it but after this comment, I cannot...

Quote:
HomeFree89 wrote:
Quote:
murrcolr wrote:

Question whether or not God really picked the man and wonder whether or not it is truly a move of God.

My goodness, what a lofty statement. You seem pretty whole and holy and since Jesus said, "They that be whole need not a physican" (Matt 9.11-13), perhaps then you could miss it and not be a part of it - since you're so well and all. Just a thought.

Jesus also said we would know them by their fruits (Matt 7.16, 7.20) so I don't look to see if someone has or has not been divorced; what I look for is to see if they are humble and have any of the fruit listed below...

[i]The Spirit, on the other hand, brings a harvest of love, joy, peace; patience towards others, kindness, benevolence; good faith, meekness, self-restraint.[/i]
Galatians 5.22-23 WEY

How soon all the well people forget the hole from whence they were dug and that "God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble" (James 4.6), whether they are divorced, adulters, murderers or not!

2009/3/16 14:02Profile
Vakugal

Bangalore, India

God did use a muderer ... The Apostle Paul. God has chosen the worst of the lot to be HIS saints.
But that does not give an excuse to go ahead and comit a murder or sin in any way.
We will regret if we give in to our longings and not take up the cross and die.
Often our question is "is this right or wrong?" and not "what should I do?" And we know when we have asked a question and we are looking for a specific "answer". And we will ask till we get it, almost like Baalam.
Jesus told us to love our wives as Christ has loved the Church, i.e me and you. Have I not played the harlot? Have i not failed HIM miserably.
When I ran away from the Lord, in all love He persuaded and called after me, but He did not force me. But waited in hope and love that I would turn back to HIM.
Them that are forgiven much loves much.
Yes it seems impossible, the pain is too hard to bear, the thoughts to hard to ignore, my rights to hard to give up. O this yoke too heavy to bear.
Jesus says "come to me and I will teach you. My yoke is light and my burden easy."

O let us look at HIM and get a glimpse of what He suffered for me and you and let us do the same for him or her for whom too JESUS has died.

2009/3/16 15:39Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

Vakugal wrote:
God did use a muderer ... The Apostle Paul. God has chosen the worst of the lot to be HIS saints.

I personally feel he still does use the worst of the lot to be his saints, and some work so hard at being perfect, they work there way right out of Gods use. It's like if someone handed you a million dollars at birth, how much will you know about money compared to the ones that have had to work through many valleys in life to reach the top? Personally speaking, I don't want anyone counseling me that has not been there or done that, how would they ever know how you feel?

2009/3/16 18:59Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

Lysa wrote:
How soon all the well people forget the hole from whence they were dug and that "God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble" (James 4.6), whether they are divorced, adulterers, murderers or not!

This is so powerful, and so true, and I thank you so much for this statement, it has Blessed me so much, it made my day.
God Bless
Mr. Bill

2009/3/16 19:05Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:
My goodness, what a lofty statement. You seem pretty whole and holy and since Jesus said, "They that be whole need not a physican" (Matt 9.11-13), perhaps then you could miss it and not be a part of it - since you're so well and all. Just a thought.

No Sister, I trust there was no pride in that statement, I need Jesus as much as anyone. That truly would be my first response if there ever was a "move" like that. I would see it as God contradicting Himself.

Please bear with me. I know I am young, but this is how I see it in the Bible.

If God says that those who marry a divorced woman commit adultery (Matt. 5:32), do you really think He would use them to start a movement?

The Bible says in Romans chapter 7, "For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man." This appears to say that they are in a continual state of adultery.

Quote:
Jesus also said we would know them by their fruits (Matt 7.16, 7.20) so I don't look to see if someone has or has not been divorced; what I look for is to see if they are humble and have any of the fruit listed below...

I would agree to a certain extent. Yes, we need to look and see if the person is humble, etc. However, even if they have all those fruits, it doesn't negate what is said elsewhere in the Bible about divorce/remarriage.

Edit: Check out Matthew 7:22-23, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

That sure would look like fruit, wouldn't it?

2009/3/17 12:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy