SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A Root of Bitterness (A Spiritual Root Canal)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

A Root of Bitterness (A Spiritual Root Canal)

Hi guys, brother Paul West asked me if I might post this. After getting a couple of PMs from dear saints expressing how this was timely and a challenge to them, I believed it to be a good idea. God bless all of you who are struggling with these issues and may the Lord lead you to victory.........Frank. PS I wrote this about 3 years ago.

“Pursue peace with all people and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God: lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble and by this many become defiled.” (Heb 12:14-15)

Recently I had a root canal done I had went to the dentist for my usual checkup and cleaning and was told that I had some decay. Now, I had no indications, pain or discomfort that would have alerted me to the fact that there was decay in process. So, the following week I went in and had the filling done. I was in the chair for almost two hours, for what was supposed to be a small filling.

Apparently the dentist went too deep and exposed a nerve, then put the filling right on top of the nerve. Not only did it make my tooth extremely painful and sensitive to hot and cold, it also caused great pain in my ear, the side of my head, and my shoulders. Apparently the nerve from this tooth, goes vertically down from the lower tooth and runs right into a main nerve which can affect many different parts of the body. The solution to this problem is a root canal.

This involves drilling out the filling which covers the exposed nerve, then taking out the whole nerve, the “root,” is removed completely and finally when that is done and finished, then comes relief.

A couple of years ago my mother and father came to visit us from Scotland. Prior to coming to Jesus, my father was a violent alcoholic. I grew up witnessing violence and hatred. My father did not like me at all. I was interested in the things of Jesus as a boy and this made me an enemy to my father, as he had “lost,” his wife to Christ. He only ever referred to me as “idiot,’ or “hey you.” I longed to be loved by this man. I longed to hear my name on his lips. Nothing was ever good enough, he was never impressed by anything that I did, and I did not hear one positive word out of his mouth for me my whole childhood. I simply gave up trying. Now, all these years later, we were both Christians.

I came to Christ at the age of 26, just a couple of years after my dad came to Christ. Jesus had delivered me from a life of drugs and alcohol and debauchery for lack of a better word. Yet even although we were both Christians, my dad was still very much a “closed book.” I, on the other hand had been radically transformed inside and out. I had forgiven my dad for everything, but I guess I still wanted to hear affirming words from him. I wanted to have a “real,” conversation with him.

My father is not a well man and the thought of him dying and leaving these things unsaid was a sad thought. One night after a prayer meeting I prayed for a young man for a certain issue in his life. I told him that he had to see his situation as a battle and that he had to fight to gain victory. As I drove home that night, the Lord turned that prayer on me. He showed me that the enemy had planted a flag, right in the center of my heart, claiming this was his territory. The Lord wanted me to go to battle, break through the lines and remove that flag. He gave me the exact words to say. I was to go home, find my father in the basement, turn the television of, look him straight in the eye, and tell him I was going to say something and I did not want him to interrupt. Then I was to say to him, “Dad, as far as I am concerned, there s no past between us, only now and the future and I love you so much.”

Now that may sound simple to many of you, yet, this was one of the hardest things that I had ever contemplated. I instinctively said in my mind “that’s not possible,” and out of my mouth came this “It is possible.” I had no idea where the words came from, but it was a rebuke from the Lord. As I drove home, I was involved in a battle. Fears and insecurities, fear of rejection all surrounded my mind. My root had been exposed. No matter how hard I had tried to cover up this exposed nerve, it had caused me pain and effected many areas of my life. Tonight was the night for my spiritual root canal. Driving home, the covering was ripped away and the nerve was exposed.

I got home, went straight to the basement, trembling, turned the television of and told my dad that I had something to say and I did not want him to interrupt. I told him that as far as I was concerned, there was no past between us, only the present and the future and that I loved him so much. I wept, a forty year old man wept and hugged his dad like a child, my dad wept too.

A few months after my parents had returned home I got a call from my dad. We talked some small talk, and then , quite aqukardly , he said this to me “You made a fantastic job of the tile work in the bathroom.” Again, many of you may not understand the significance of this, but it rocked my world. It may be the sweetest words I have ever heard. If my father died tomorrow, I will know that he was proud of me.

Once a nerve is removed, it can never hurt you again. Let me ask you this, do you have a nerve problem? Do you need a spiritual root canal? Perhaps it has been buried for so long that you believe it is dealt with. The thing about decay is that it is a process, it will not stop of its own accord. If it is covered up it will begin to spread and effect other areas of your life. It needs to be uncovered and dealt with. If there is someone in your life who has hurt you, or disappointed you, if there is a root then the word tells us to “peruse peace,” and not to “fall short of the grace of God.” This root will “cause trouble,” and “defile you.”

Open up your heart to Him. Ask Him to try you and see if their is anything that is causing you to fall short of the grace of God. The root of your trouble may be very legitimate, you may have been wronged and wounded. Do not wait on the other person. Maybe its a brother or a sister, Mother of Father, perhaps a grown child. Maybe its been years since you have spoken and the nerve has been covered up by distance and time. The time is now to brake the power of the damaged nerve, it must be removed, and until it is, it has the power to control you and cause you pain and cause you to fall short of Gods grace.

Make the call, reach out to that person. I understand the potential is there for great pain, for more suffering, but I also know that the power of God is at work when we trust in Him and follow His word.

We are more than conquerors in Christ Jesus. Even if ten thousand come against us, we will slay them all by the power and victory of Christ Jesus. That night I spoke to my father, I slew the enemies that had came against me, I reached the center of my heart and I took the enemies flag, uprooted it, broke it in two over my knee and threw it to the ground. I had, by the power of the Spirit, reclaimed this territory for the glory of God. Now He ruled and reigned over the deepest part of me, the most vulnerable part of me and He could change me from the very core of who I was . May His marvelous name be praised. Brothers and sisters, take back that which is yours, break the power of the enemy in your life. And your weapon? ………………………….LOVE…….Jesus is LOVE!!!

2009/3/14 11:34
growingholly

Re: A Root of Bitterness (A Spiritual Root Canal)

may God bless you and those who read this wonderful post.
glad you shared.

2009/3/16 14:16Profile

Re:

I appreciate the blessing :).......Frank

2009/3/16 15:58
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Frank, I too appreicated this what I read.

I thought it was timely also.

Please pray for me as you can with love and grace. I have had an unindentifiable pain for several years now(not physical) and I have thought this could be the case.

Thank you Frank.

2009/3/16 18:01Profile

Re:

HI Chris

I will certainly pray for you brother. To me, this is the stuff of life, where the rubber hits the road for Christianity. It all begins in the temple and flows from there, so to speak. I posted this on the other thread, it may be worth posting here, its a kinda update on "A Root of Bitterness," called "The River of Life."....Frank

http://scottishwarriors.wordpress.com/2008/04/02/the-river-of-life/

2009/3/16 19:33
thomasm

Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada

Hi Frank,
Thanks so much for sharing, I'm lead to search my own heart, for hided roots. God bless you in all you do. May His love guide you and keep you.

Love in CHRIST tom

2009/3/17 3:43Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

This testimony reminded me of this, K.P. Yohannan, sermon....

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=15281

In Christ
Jeff

2009/3/17 12:10Profile

Re:

Hi Jeff, thanks for the link, I am going to listen to the sermon. When I think of Jesus entering into Hades after His victory on the cross, I imagine Him kicking in the doors of my heart and letting me know that He has come to set me free. This place of death at the very center of my heart is now His by right and He wants all of us, He wants to be enthroned and "it is the reward of His suffering." To hold back, to allow bitterness and its root a place in our hearts is to rob the Lord of the fullness of His reward. It also greatly curtails our usefulness as His servants................Frank

2009/3/17 12:41

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy