SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question about wearing modest jeans?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings

White Stone you wrote: I am being realistic, are you? This is more of what you should ask God, not if your post was modest or not. I have been praying for you to be free from debt and it hurts me to think you are not pinching pennies. One can not pray themselves out of debt, at some point God expects you to stop spending.

Not sure how to reply to this sister.Your post really has thrown me? I replied to your point in your first response because you closed it by saying my post was immodest.To me that meant you found it to be a sinful post, so I thought I should address that. As for what you said above and I quoted, I am working to get out of debt and I don't spend money frivolously at all. I have not bought myself any new clothes at all in several years but I have lost weight, so much so that what I have is just to large a size any more. I am grateful for the suggestion to go to the thrift store and there is one in my area and I do go there all the time. I have no problem with going there but even they sell the jeans that are mid rise and made of stretch material and do not cover properly or modestly. I have need of something to wear and I do not feel that by spending a very small portion of money for one item is neglecting what God has for me in paying off my bills. I am sorry you feel hurt, you do not have to pray for me if in doing so it is causing you pain. I do not want that. I do not want to cause anyone to stumble because of something I said or did. I am not praying myself out of debt in the sense you wrote, I am working very hard to follow Fathers heart in this and to walk in what He has for me daily. Perhaps my original post was worded poorly to cause you to reply the way you have, I am really confused at the moment. Not sure what more I can say to this except thank you for your advice about the thrift shops.

Dawn: thank you for sharing your heart with me. I have at times been heavy myself and I know how hard it can be to find clothes that fit well. I actually thought about wearing more skirts and think that is something that I may look into.

Krispy: I understand what you shared about your boys. I have four boys three that are older and here where I live there are places we can not even go to in the summer time because of how the women dress. It makes it hard for them, we even get up extra early(we are a 24 hour town here) to go to the grocery store in the summer just to avoid the way women are dressed so as to not cause them(my sons) any temptation or reason to stumble.

Holly: Thank you sister for all that you shared as well.

I just want to close this by saying truthfully the only reason I posted in the first place was out of a real desire to be faithful in what Father has been showing me about modesty and how to dress.IT is just kind of hard to find clothes that let you do that.
God Bless
MJ

2009/3/10 19:04Profile
Dawn10379

Re:

2009/3/10 23:03Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Dawn and Joy

Thank you for your posts. I appreciate what you said. I have been really working on how I dress as to not draw attention to myself. I don't want to take the focus off of Jesus and I do not want to cause anyone to stumble into sin. I dress in layers and that seems to be one good way of covering. In the summer it does require more thought because of how hot it can get where I live(into the 100's)so that is why I think the skirts may be a really good idea.
I also wanted to say thank you for the teaching that you shared Joy and your encouragement. I have heard several really convicting teachings that really have changed my heart on this but I am always interested in hearing new teachings and it allows me to share with others here too.

Thank you both
God Bless
Maryjane

2009/3/11 12:03Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

MaryJane,

I am late in weighing in on this question...hope you do not mind one more post?

I thought about this question today as I was working... I somehow seem to sense that the LORD is teaching your spirit on how to dress, and if this is the case, may I suggest you just ask the LORD to give you the specifics on how He wants you to do this. I am sure He would be delighted and pleased with a heart that is open to instruction. Given the popular trend of undressing in the public, it is refreshing to hear of other females sensitive to this issue.

God bless you ....

ginnyrose

2009/3/11 22:21Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Ginnyrose

Thank your for your reply and no its never to late to give good advice as you have. Putting all things to prayer is always the best way to go.

I feel like I should maybe clear a few things up that my first post may have caused some confusion over. I was not asking about the jeans because I was trying to figure out what is modest and what is not. I know almost all the jeans and other clothes made today are not very modest at all. What I was trying to ask was where do other ladies who buy jeans shop for modest ones. Ones that are not following the latest trends that tend to be more immodest. I was trying to ask where to buy a certain kind of jean because I have had no luck in the stores in my area(both thrift and retail)in finding ones that are appropriate. I guess I thought if someone knew of a specific brand or place that I might have more luck. In my very own inapt way I was also voicing my frustration at how (at least in my area) how immodest most clothing is now a days. Even the little girls 5, 6 and 7 wearing things that are so revealing, it breaks my heart.

Anyway if my first post was confusing to anyone then I am sorry for that. I think it is very important for myself and for all those who profess to love the Lord that we make every effort to dress and behave modestly. It is something I have been learning and growing in for awhile now and want to continue to walk in as Father gives leading. Thank you Ginnyrose for your reply and for letting me use your response to clear things up:-)

God bless you
Maryjane

2009/3/12 17:45Profile
adamdawkins

Re:

MaryJane,

I hope you won't think I'm ignoring your clarification on this, I appreciate it was a very practical question.

Firstly can I thank you for posting this. I haven't [i]ever[/i] heard modest clothing discussed or even expressed as a desire among the Christian women at my church. That's not to say that they don't dress modestly, just it doesn't seem to big on the topic list. I certainly think that among the younger women that I tend to be around more (being 21 myself) that jeans would be considered pretty 'modest'. I hope I'll be able to point a few of them graciously to this thread to consider it's point of view, they've probably never contemplated that even jeans may be too immodest. (I mean the high-street sort of jeans, not the sort you're looking for!)

I saw another reply about asking God how He would like you to dress, but maybe you could even ask Him to provide you with the right clothes (as it seems you know already HOW He would like you to dress).

The phrase that came to mind earlier today about this post was something Art Katz always re-iterates which is that God always accomplishes His ends by His means.

Whilst that's usually in the context of people trying to achieve God's ends in a worldly way (marketing tracts from churches etc) maybe it be slightly reapplied and you can take some encouragement from the fact that He will provide you with a way to dress as He has placed on your heart.

Sorry, I know that's not practical help, but I wanted to share my gratitude for the challenge this post brings even to me as a brother. Whilst modesty in the same way isn't so much an issue with our clothing, challenging how much I spend and what on is certainly a challenge! Should I be funding brands that plaster their walls with lust-driven images and provide inappropriate clothing to my sisters? I wonder...

Thanks again,

Adam

2009/3/13 12:19Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings Adam
Thank you for your reply.
You wrote:Whilst modesty in the same way isn't so much an issue with our clothing, challenging how much I spend and what on is certainly a challenge! Should I be funding brands that plaster their walls with lust-driven images and provide inappropriate clothing to my sisters? I wonder...
I understand exactly what you mean, my husband and I will not buy anything from Levi jeans(new or used) because of the extremely vulgar add they had out last fall. It was only on the internet I think and not appropriate at all. The only reason we saw it was because of where my husband works(retail) he has to view commercial adds from time to time of products that the company sells.

Thank you again for sharing this with me. This thread certain has been a growth and learning experience for me as well:-) Father is so good and faithful to open our eyes and draw us closer to Him.

God Bless
Maryjane

PS. What I shared about Levi jeans is a personal conviction from the Father for me and I was not trying to tell anyone what they should be doing. There are I am sure many who have never even heard of or saw the add campaign, was just using it as am example of how some companies do use images that are way over the top and unacceptable.

2009/3/13 12:48Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Should I be funding brands that plaster their walls with lust-driven images and provide inappropriate clothing to my sisters? I wonder...

My answer to this question is a "NO!!"

Many years ago "Guess" placed a full page ad in a magazine. The models were all in suggestive poses. It made me so angry I resolved to never, ever buy any clothes with that brand name on it, not even at a thrift store. And I never did. We do not have to buy clothes marketed by companies that use sin to advertise their products. Before I would buy clothes like that I would make them myself, even if it would come down to sewing pants for my husband!

I don't get mad, do I? :-o

ginnyrose

2009/3/13 21:10Profile
YST

Re:

Hello MJ,
I wear Lee jeans for women. They fit well and last for years. I highly recommend them.

2009/3/13 21:44Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy