SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : OLD MESSAGE, NEW METHODS?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
enid

Nottingham, England

OLD MESSAGE, NEW METHODS?

Is it possible to preach and evangelise the message of the gospel, using new methods, without compromise?

I ask this, because that is what we have seen taking place in many churches.

One example is, using secular songs, and changing the words with christian words and phrases. Is that scripturally acceptable? If not, why not? If yes, where in scripture does it become acceptable?

Also, is it possible, if there are any replies, for this question to be answered without degenerating into unnecessary arguments and divisiveness?

Thanks.

2009/3/9 7:51Profile
HeartSong

Re: OLD MESSAGE, NEW METHODS?

Quote:
One example is, using secular songs, and changing the words with christian words and phrases. Is that scripturally acceptable? If not, why not? If yes, where in scripture does it become acceptable?

For me, when this is done, my mind plays the "old words" right along with the "new words." Both times that this has happened, the "old words" are in direct opposition to the "new words." One time in church, I was horrified to find myself worshiping Christ and Rudolph at the same time.

I was listening to a Leonard Ravenhill sermon (Purity and Fire - Part One) just yesterday, and he was saying that using music to evangelize in not mentioned even once in the New Testament. From what I can recall, he is correct.

As far as the drama/skits, sadly just yesterday a Pastor was shot during the service at his church and most of the congregation did not react right away because that thought it was part of a skit. This is not good. Confusion is not the result of truth.

2009/3/9 11:04Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Quote:
my mind plays the "old words" right along with the "new words."

Dear HeartSong,

That is exactly my feelings. If the words in any song are not Scriptural, my 'radar' goes off and I shy away from it. I find I feel more secure with much older songs.

When I sing, it is just between my God and myself. No one else should hear me sing, it would be unkind to them. I sing 'Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty' when I sit outside in the morning, gazing at the sky while the cats eat their breakfast. Also, at night looking up to the stars as I stand by for the dogs get their last 'outie' for the night. To me singing is for Praise and staying strong in my faith. All day long, the words of that song are being played in my mind. Hard to be fearful when you are praising God.

My husband and I worship at home exclusively. There are no physical churches nearby that we would care to attend.

Terrible about the death by shooting in the Church yesterday. Sadly it seems to have gotten little news coverage.

Kind regards,
white stone

2009/3/9 11:32Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
No one else should hear me sing, it would be unkind to them.

When our voices are raised in unison unto Him, those that are less gifted get carried up by those that are more gifted. This happened to me in a church in Scotland - oh what glorious singing unto the Lord!

Quote:
Hard to be fearful when you are praising God.

Amen!

2009/3/9 11:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy