Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question about Bishops

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
BlazedbyGod

Question about Bishops

1 Tim 3:2 "A bishop then must be blameless, [b]the husband of one wife[/b].."

Any insights on " ....the husband of ONE wife..."?

Thanks to all who reply

2009/3/6 9:39Profile

Re: Question about Bishops

In context it is excluding anyone who has been divorced because the most of the requirements for "bishops" (elders/pastors) have to do with his reputation and the reputation of his family. Thus the verse about if he can't guide and direct his own house how can he be expected to guide and direct God's house?

For me, this is not open to debate, altho some here will debate all day long that a divorced man can be an elder/pastor. Scripture says [b]no, he can't[/b].

In my opinion, this does not refer to men who's wife passed away and then he married a second time. Other scriptures make it clear that that is perfectly acceptable in God's eyes.

This is not in any way to say that divorced people can not be used of God. I get accused of saying that. That's not what I'm saying. But when it comes to being an elder/pastor... scripture, [b]not me[/b], says they can not.

Got an issue with that? Go tell God about it... He wrote it.

Krispy

2009/3/6 10:00
BlazedbyGod

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
In context it is excluding anyone who has been divorced because the most of the requirements for "bishops" (elders/pastors) have to do with his reputation and the reputation of his family. Thus the verse about if he can't guide and direct his own house how can he be expected to guide and direct God's house?

For me, this is not open to debate, altho some here will debate all day long that a divorced man can be an elder/pastor. Scripture says [b]no, he can't[/b].

In my opinion, this does not refer to men who's wife passed away and then he married a second time. Other scriptures make it clear that that is perfectly acceptable in God's eyes.

Krispy

Thanks Krispy, I tend to see it that way too. But I am just cuirous, because a brother of mine joined a ministry where the Bishop there is called an " ARCH-BISHOP"-and the man is recently divorced from his wife of 26 years and 4 children, they've divorced before, got married again-and now divorced again, and now, he as of 2008 married someone else.

2009/3/6 10:09Profile

Re:

He has no business being in the pulpit or mascarading as an elder. The Bible has another name for "Arch-Bishops"... it's called "NICOLAITAN". This was people who lorded their religious "authority" over the common people. Thats what these titles and robes and all that stuff does.

Krispy

2009/3/6 11:10
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Ditto to Krispy.

Also, do you think that elders [b]must[/b] be married, since it says that they must be the husband of a wife.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/3/6 12:41Profile

Re:

Personally, I think it's better if they are. But I dont think we can be dogmatic about that based on what this verse says. It's obviously stating that if you're going to be an elder you need to have your own house in order. I think if a single man meets every other requirement, then it's hard to deny him... and God may have given him the gift of celebacy in order to have more time to serve God.

But personally, I think it's better if he is married because a wife and family keeps a man grounded.

Also, how can a single man teach others about marriage or raising children?

Krispy

2009/3/6 12:49
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Paul was single, wasn't he? :-)

2009/3/6 13:56Profile
bobmcd510

Re:

Yep, Paul was single and look how much insight he had into marriage! He wrote Corinthians. He said that being single is preferred though not required so it can't mean that a bishop be REQUIRED to have a wife. What he meant by "husband of one wife" was basically a condemnation of polygomy.

2009/3/6 14:12Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re:

Paul was knowledgable of marriage, yea, Paul was single, yea......but I still think there is a difference between someone who just has the knowledge and wisdom, versus someone who has the knowledge, wisdom, AND experience.

Paul was not married, ...........but Jesus is, (and of course I do not mean in the flesh)

I think the verse, applies to both againist polygomy, but aslo against divorce and remarriage for someone who calls themselve a bishop.

Paul was an apostle, but isn't a Bishop different?

2009/3/6 14:45Profile
bobmcd510

Re:

You said that Jesus is married which is correct. Was not Jesus speaking through Paul as he wrote the scriptures? So I don't see why the Holy Spirit speaking through a single man cannot give advice to a married man.

2009/3/6 14:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy