SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Who is John Piper and Mark Driscoll?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
I know that there will be plenty of bloggers and posters who will continue to bash him no matter what he does or says because Mark is way outside the box that some of you are in.

This statment is a cover-up. I have seen people trying to correct the filthy language and corrupt talk that he seems to present and even glory in at times.

Besides that God bless him and his ministry.

-Jim

2009/3/4 9:12
Santana

Re:

Thanks for the post from the Q&A. That really cleared up a lot of things.

But like I said, I can't listen to Driscoll because of my horrible past. There's certain 'words' and 'language' that he uses that trigger off specific thoughts. For a few years God has been cleaning my mind and I don't want to go back there. That's just me.

I'm not trying to live in a shell but my thoughts need to remain pure...no matter who or what I stay away from.

I'm safe with Piper. (Key word is I'M)

2009/3/4 12:22Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

Quote:
But when you are chosen of God to start a church at 25, in 10 yrs see it burgeon to 7000 members, have another 8 campuses and a coming of two more, plus raise a family of 5 children, work with dozens of people, raise up new leaders, find time to study and present the gospel as coherently as Mark does....then after youve made your errors, your church mistakes and have put yourself out on the front lines with alot to lose....then your critique of Mark would have some weight. Dont forget the spiritual warfare directed against your family and your own mind and heart, in the case of some of you, the devil doesnt waste his time picking on you. But with men like Mark, and I mean men, men of God like Mark you will have your own bullseye painted on your chest and get shot at. You will have plenty of opportunity to raise the shield of faith against firey darts of the enemy shot from the bow of Christians who have no idea what it is to be on the front lines of ministry

There is a lot of faulty logic as well as unbiblical statements in this quote.

First of all, it is important to remember that God does not give a person more than they can handle. Maybe Mark can handle more than I can. Perhaps that is why God has him leading Mars Hill and not me.

Making Mark a martyr does not help your argument. It is important to remember that Christ endured the same things we did, yet never sinned. Shouldn't we hold ourselves to this same standard, including those who are leading us? We may never achieve perfection until the day of Christ, but that is not a reason to stop trying.

Mark may have a Biblical understanding of God (what some would call sound theology), but if you are not changed by that understanding, what good is it? As already stated, repentence involves turning away from that sin.

I would also like to say that we are all "on the front line" by being part of the elect. By saying that "some are on the front lines" implies that we allow some to fight the Good Fight while the rest of us sit back and put money in the offering plate.

I would encourage you Micaiahsword to not respond so quickly with emotion, but consider and meditate on the Word of God.

2009/3/4 15:06Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
God does not give a person more than they can handle

Really? Then why do we need Him?

That statement to me seems more unbiblical than anything Micaiahsword said.

I think it is very funny that everyone can criticize what God is doing in Seattle through Mars Hill because it doesn't "fit" their idea of how it should be done. Seems the Pharisees had a similar attitude because they thought they were "more holy" because of what they did or didn't do. Yet they were the most harshly spoken to by Jesus because they would not come to Him for righteousness.

Seems to me that God is giving life to the lost in Seattle and all most can do is write it off as a seeming work of the devil? I've seen that somewhere in Scripture before(be careful brethren).

Leave it alone and let God sort it out, it seems that God is pleased to move through many things we write off.

2009/3/4 15:31Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

"13No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." 1 Corinthians 10:13

That statement to me seems more unbiblical than anything Micaiahsword said.

Looks like it is in the Bible.

EDIT: I am not denying man's total depravity and our inablity to do anything according to our own means. At the same token, He knows our limits.

2009/3/4 16:40Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
1 Corinthians 10:13

Please look at the context this verse is coming from. It does not mean that God won't put us in situations we cannot handle.

2009/3/4 16:45Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

Roaringlamb,

Just to preface, I am typing this with humility. I may be misunderstanding 1 Corinthians 10, but if you would allow, I'd like to talk through this and what my understanding of what Paul is saying to the church in Corinth. I truly desire to have a correct understanding of all scripture, so perhaps you could help me understand your understanding of this passage by me revealing my own understanding.

Obviously Paul is writing to the church in Corinth and this specific chapter he is speaking of the example of Israel and their sinfulness.

He says this example is "given so that we might not desire evil as they did" (v. 6). He then gives 4 admonisions 1.) Do not be idolaters (v.7), 2.) Do not indulge in sexual immorality (v. 8) 3.) do not put Christ to the test (v.9) and 4.) do not grumble (v.10).

He then repeats in verse 11 that they are given to us (the church - us) as an example. In verse 12 he says "let anyone who thinks he stands take heed lest he falls". Cross reference this with Romans 11:20 and I would understand this to mean that it is our faith that we should stand firm in.

He then continues into verse 13 by saying, "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

In other words, because God is faithful, he will not let us temped beyone our ability. Which means if we are standing firm in our faith, we will not be tempted beyond our "ability" and will be provided "a way of escape".

I guess I do not understand how this does not mean that God will not give us more than we can handle. We are able to remain free from sin, but only through Christ who gives us the strength we need.

It is my true desire to understand God's word and apply it to all aspects of my life, so I do seek your understanding.

Regarding Mark Driscoll: It is not my desire to "be a pharisee" but I do desire for God's people to be a holy people.

Just a few passages from 1 Corinthians 10 to keep in mind.

Verse 21 - You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.

Verse 23,24 - "All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up. 24 Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.

Verse 31-33 - 31So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, 33just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.

I appologize for the length, but again, it is my desire to have a correct understanding of scripture.

I also do not desire to be quarrelsome, ever. My intent is to help "sharpen iron" and be "sharpened".

Respectfully,
Ben

2009/3/4 18:38Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Brother Ben I appreciate your humble attitude and I too wish to "write" this in the same spirit.

Before I start, I wanted to say that I think if you took the time to listen to Mark Driscoll, you'd find that he too desires that Christians would walk differently than the world and he would echo your sentiments for holiness.

Too many read things they see on the net and then believe it before finding out for themselves(I have done this in the past so I speak from experience).

Now onto 1 Corinthians 10:13 :-)

It is interesting that there are two Greek words used for "temptation" and "tempted" in this verse.

The word for "temptation" is "peirasmos" which according to Thayer's Greek Lexicon means-
Thayer Definition:
1) an experiment, attempt, trial, proving
1a) trial, proving: the trial made of you by my bodily condition, since condition served as to test the love of the Galatians toward Paul (Gal_4:14)
1b) the trial of man’s fidelity, integrity, virtue, constancy
1b1) an enticement to sin, temptation, whether arising from the desires or from the outward circumstances
1b2) an internal temptation to sin
1b2a) of the temptation by which the devil sought to divert Jesus the Messiah from his divine errand
1b3) of the condition of things, or a mental state, by which we are enticed to sin, or to a lapse from the faith and holiness
1b4) adversity, affliction, trouble: sent by God and serving to test or prove one’s character, faith, holiness
1c) temptation (i.e. trial) of God by men
1c1) rebellion against God, by which his power and justice are, as it were, put to the proof and challenged to show themselves

Now the word for "tempted" is "peirazō", same root but different in meaning.

According to Thayer's this means-

Thayer Definition:
1) to try whether a thing can be done
1a) to attempt, endeavour
2) to try, make trial of, test: for the purpose of ascertaining his quantity, or what he thinks, or how he will behave himself
2a) in a good sense
2b) in a bad sense, to test one maliciously, craftily to put to the proof his feelings or judgments
2c) to try or test one’s faith, virtue, character, by enticement to sin
2c1) to solicit to sin, to tempt
2c1a) of the temptations of the devil
2d) after the OT usage
2d1) of God: to inflict evils upon one in order to prove his character and the steadfastness of his faith
2d2) men are said to tempt God by exhibitions of distrust, as though they wished to try whether he is not justly distrusted
2d3) by impious or wicked conduct to test God’s justice and patience, and to challenge him, as it were to give proof of his perfections.

I believe the idea here is that God will test our faithfulness in our trials which all men go through. What will the testing of our faith produce?

Will it be idolatry like those mentioned before this exhortation, or will it produce a deeper faith?

I suppose the idea is that God may put us in the fire, but never let it subdue us, but it will be His power and His glory that are what is displayed in the "way out" or "deliverance". Maybe this is what you're getting at.

I just don't buy the idea that God doesn't put us in trials that we can't handle. Scripture doesn't really support this as many people in the Bible were in situations that were too much for them and their need of God's power to deliver was made manifest by that.

2009/3/4 22:14Profile

Re:

"I think it is very funny that everyone can criticize what God is doing in Seattle through Mars Hill because it doesn't "fit" their idea of how it should be done. Seems the Pharisees had a similar attitude because they thought they were "more holy" because of what they did or didn't do. Yet they were the most harshly spoken to by Jesus because they would not come to Him for righteousness.

Seems to me that God is giving life to the lost in Seattle and all most can do is write it off as a seeming work of the devil?" roaringlamb

I remember a similar rant from a Todd Bentley follower on this forum. He called people here Pharisee's because Bentley's teachings didn't fit the "package" of some who were on this forum. We were told that Bentley was 'the real deal' and we have no right to say anything unless we go to Lakeland or listen to him speak on a consistent basis. Many were criticized for speaking against 'this move of God'. Turns out that the warnings were completely justified both before and after the Lakeland meltdown. Before I get painted in the category of Phariseeism like many others, and before I'm accused of putting Mark Driscoll in with the Todd Bentley's of the world please understand that A) In no way am I doing this and B) The point I'm making is a general point of discussing ministries overall. Let me just say that God cares about who leads His sheep and where they are led. There have been enough wolves (again, in general, not Mark specifically)throughout history to give people caution. If Martin Luther was worried about being labeled a Pharisee or stopping movements of God we would all still be praying to dead people. So I don't see any reason why the name calling and the attacking style of those who defend certain ministries is necessary. This stuff usually comes on the heels of a criticism of a ministry someone likes. Anyone who is even remotely astute to the history of this forum knows that it is FILLED with critiques, criticisms, and opinion. No one has much of a problem if it's another ministry but if it's one they are close too.... watch out!!! Roaringlamb would you oppose criticism of a Benny Hinn ministry? Are there any ministries out there that have given you pause? Where does true discernment begin and Phariseeism end on this forum in your opinion? Because there have been assessments of some ministries have proved to be accurate. Where's the line? You made the Pariseeism accusation. Have you never given an opinion on a ministry... ever? And where did someone write this off as being the work of the devil on this thread? I didn't catch that.

I've listened to Mark Driscoll and read some material from him but it's been awhile. I think he's sincere in his beliefs and his relationship with Piper is a good balance for he and Piper. He might ride the line in certain areas and offend some in doing so. Okay, it seems that he is at least aware of some of it. Piper really likes the guy and I think his endorsement of Mark as being a good friend is worth noting if you don't know much about him. I wish him well. But regardless, ministries have come and gone, some good, some not so good. The truth is that criticisms will also come and go and not all people who assess and criticize are Pharisees. Those ministries who stand the test of time are proven by God.

2009/3/5 8:20
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

I have thought about this quite a bit since yesterday and have even started studying 1 Corinthians as a result of this discussion. I have come up with a few thoughts.

I think a person's understanding of God's sovreignty is important to understand what one would mean when they say something like "God does not put us in situations we can not handle". If God is in complete control of every situation, then there is not a situation he would put us in that he we can't handle because there isn't a situation that He can't handle.

I am of the persuasion that all that we do is a result of God working through us. I don't believe that we are capable of doing anything without God. (For those who live in rebellion, they may not acknoledge God, but it is God who enables them to do those things) It is God, afterall, who fills my lungs with breath and keeps my heart beating.

If there were a situation that I, as a believer, were to be placed in, that would mean that God has allowed me to be in a position that He is not able to control. Now, I may fail (in a human sense) but that does not mean that I was not able to overcome the situation.

I think you touched on this a bit when you said:

Quote:
I suppose the idea is that God may put us in the fire, but never let it subdue us, but it will be His power and His glory that are what is displayed in the "way out" or "deliverance". Maybe this is what you're getting at.

All things are for God's glory. So, if I am in a situation that "seems dire", he will be glorified. My pastor once used this as a good example. Say I am diagnosed with cancer. There are two ways things are going to happen. I can be cured. Praise God! He will receieve the glory. The second - I die. Praise God! I get to spend the rest of eternity with God! No matter the outcome, he is glorified. Even if we do not rejoice, he will still receive the glory.

Now, I know that 1 Corinthians 10:13 is referring specifically to temptation, but isn't that where all sin starts? Aren't we tempted? When Satan tempted Jesus in the desert, not once did he commit sin. There was no situation that was greater than God. Remember, Jesus is fully God, but was also fully human. I would suggest that if we "get out of a difficult situation" it is not us who is doing the work, rather it is God.

Quote:
Scripture doesn't really support this as many people in the Bible were in situations that were too much for them and their need of God's power to deliver was made manifest by that.

You know, I was trying really hard to think of an example in scripture where someone was unable to overcome a situation but failed to think of one. I mean, there are examples where it was difficult for the person, but didn't God ultimately deliver those people from the hardship and glorify himself? I think of Noah(building an ark for hundreds of years), Abraham (wandering through the desert), Moses (leading the exodus from Egypt). In all these instances, God's will was not thwarted. Even when these men failed in their human condition, God was sovreign.

Again, this has sparked a fire inside my mind and I am very interseted in continuing this conversation.

2009/3/5 14:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy