SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Prophets alive today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
rreighe

Prophets alive today?

I was talking to one of my freinds who goes to the new church i was talking about on the Emerging Church Is Now thread and my freind was talking about how some prophet visited thier (before i went) church and he prophesised in God's name and then revived a church that was in a near by city. my freind also said that the prophets are still alive today but they are in hiding and have to keep it a secret. why do they have to keep it a secret? is it the UN and the New Age that would try to kill/assasinate them? or are the concerned that people would think of them as a false prophet? i realy dont have a clue. also the church i was talking about that he visited was the GOOD church i go to. the one that is BIBLICAL and NOT New Age-ish like my other sunday chuch. please help me understand this matter.

ps i would love to meet or become one (God/Jesus/Holy Spirit's prophet) that would be awsome!

2009/2/25 17:50Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Prophets alive today?

Quote:
i would love to meet or become one (God/Jesus/Holy Spirit's prophet) that would be awsome

According to the definition of "prophet", whenever you see and hear a man speak forth the will of God, you are experiencing prophesy. Prophesy is not relegated to merely telling the future, as we see here in North America.

2009/2/25 20:17Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

I agree with Brother Paul. This is historically acurate as well. An old Puritan preaching guide is called "The Art of Prophesying". The verbal proclamation of the Lord's truth is prophecy. Notice also that Paul calls an unbeliever a prophet, who was simply describing the condition of his kinsmen.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/2/25 20:27Profile

Re:

There are prophets for today but they are few and far between.

2009/2/25 20:31
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:

TaylorOtwell wrote:
I agree with Brother Paul. This is historically acurate as well. An old Puritan preaching guide is called "The Art of Prophesying". The verbal proclamation of the Lord's truth is prophecy. Notice also that Paul calls an unbeliever a prophet, who was simply describing the condition of his kinsmen.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

"The testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of prophecy." Rev. 19;10

But are there people in the church today that have the gift of prophecy described in I. Cor. 12-14? There are some interesting anecdotes from reliable sources--Chuck Smith, for example. And someone prophesied over Reagan that he would be president one day, years before it came to pass. But does anyone have any first-hand accounts of the gift of prophecy in use today?

2009/2/25 21:46Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

The office of prophet is a legitimate office that should still be active today.

Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
Act 2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

I believe that the reason we do not see "genuine, from the mind of God" prophets today, is that there are so very few true Christians alive today. Jesus asks the following question in Luke 8:8.
Luk 18:8B Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Also we have to ponder the statement of Jesus In Matthew 7:21-23

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Blessings Greg :-o

2009/2/25 22:09Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Quote:
rreighe wrote:
my freind also said that the prophets are still alive today but they are in hiding and have to keep it a secret. why do they have to keep it a secret? is it the UN and the New Age that would try to kill/assasinate them? or are the concerned that people would think of them as a false prophet? i realy dont have a clue. ...please help me understand this matter.

Dear brother, let's always weigh what others say to the word of God! That statement your friend made is so false it's not even funny. It's from the figment of somebody's imagination. Yes, there are true prophets today but they are [b]not[/b] hiding. The very idea they have to hide is not even Biblical. (And my personal opinion is that a true prophet does not have to advertise in the back of charasmatic magazines.)

***Jeremiah 13.10, 23.17; Luke 1.51; Romans 1.21; 2 Cor 10.5***

Quote:
ps i would love to meet or become one (God/Jesus/Holy Spirit's prophet) that would be awsome!

I say this with all loves: Keep your eyes focused on Jesus and not on any prophets. Prophets are people and people fail us. Christ never fails!!

Paul, who was an apostle and a prophet, said the following:

[i]I count all things as loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, [b]and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ and be found in him,[/b] not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: [b]That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; if by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.[/b][/i]

This is what was important to the Apostle (and I dare say, prophet) Paul. Knowing HIM and the fellowship of HIS sufferings.

2009/2/25 22:29Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re:

Quote:
PaulWest wrote:
According to the definition of "prophet", whenever you see and hear a man speak forth the will of God, you are experiencing prophesy. Prophesy is not relegated to merely telling the future, as we see here in North America.

I am not trying to hijack this thread. I'm not challenging you, Paul because I don't even know how you feel about this; I just wanted to challenge the "logic" of that definition...

[i]And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and [b]your daughters shall prophesy,[/b] your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:[/i]
Joel 2:28

[i]And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons [b]and your daughters shall prophesy,[/b] and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
And on my servants and [b]on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:[/i][/b]
Acts 2:17-18

[i]And the same man had [b]four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.[/b][/i]
Acts 21:9

It just seems to me that if more believed the Scriptures, they wouldn't be so hostile to women speaking forth the will of God!! :-D (huge grin) Hold the stones for another thread!!

2009/2/25 22:45Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Hold the stones for another thread

No stones here, sister. That topic indeed is for another thread. It is my belief that the art of prophesying need not always be behind a pulpit. In my experience, my most powerful times of speaking forth the mind of the Spirit into the life of another person has always been one-on-one. This is just as much the ministry and gift of "prophesy" as a man in a suit standing behind a pulpit.

2009/2/25 23:09Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
Hold the stones for another thread

Lysa,

All right, we'll let you off with a sponge-pelting this time!

Have you read "The Magna Carta of Women" by Jessie Penn-Lewis? It's right up your alley! :-D

http://lighthouselibrary.com/read.php?sel=3138&searchfor=||PENN-LEWIS, JESSIE||&type=&what=author

2009/2/26 13:23Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy