SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : How the (12) twelve Apostles died.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 How the (12) twelve Apostles died.

[b]PETER[/b] and [b]PAUL[/b] were both martyred in Rome about 66 AD, during the persecution under Emperor Nero. Paul was beheaded. Peter was crucified, upside down at his request, since he did not feel he was worthy to die in the same manner as his Lord.

[b]ANDREW[/b] went to the "land of the man-eaters," in what is now the Soviet Union. Christians there claim him as the first to bring the gospel to their land. He also preached in Asia Minor, modern-day Turkey, and in Greece, where he is said to have been crucified.

[b]"Doubting" THOMAS[/b] was probably most active in the area east of Syria. Tradition has him preaching as far east as India, where the ancient Marthoma Christians revere him as their founder. They claim that he died there when pierced through with the spears of four soldiers.

[b]PHILIP[/b] possibly had a powerful ministry in Carthage in North Africa and then in Asia Minor, where he converted the wife of a Roman proconsul. In retaliation the proconsul had Philip arrested and cruelly put to death.

[b]MATTHEW[/b] the tax collector and writer of a Gospel, ministered in Persia and Ethiopia. Some of the oldest reports say he was not martyred, while others say he was stabbed to death in Ethiopia.

[b]BARTHOLOMEW[/b] had widespread missionary travels attributed to him by tradition: to India with Thomas, back to Armenia, and also to Ethiopia and Southern Arabia. There are various accounts of how he met his death as a martyr for the gospel.

[b]JAMES[/b] the son of Alpheus, is one of at least three Jameses referred to in the New Testament. There is some confusion as to which is which, but this James is reckoned to have ministered in Syria. The Jewish historian Josephus reported that he was stoned and then clubbed to death.

[b]SIMON THE ZEALOT[/b], so the story goes, ministered in Persia and was killed after refusing to sacrifice to the sun god.

[b]MATTHIAS[/b] was the apostle chosen to replace Judas. Tradition sends him to Syria with Andrew and to death by burning.

[b]JOHN[/b] is the only one of the company generally thought to have died a natural death from old age. He was the leader of the church in the Ephesus area and is said to have taken care of Mary the mother of Jesus in his home. During Domitian's persecution in the middle 90's, he was exiled to the island of Patmos. There he is credited with writing the last book of the New Testament--the Revelation. An early Latin tradition has him escaping unhurt after being cast into boiling oil at Rome.

The New Testament tells of the fate of only two of the apostles: Judas, who betrayed Jesus and then went out and hanged himself, and James the son of Zebedee, who was executed by Herod about 44 AD (Acts 12:2).

They [b]suffered greatly[/b] for their faith and in most cases met [u]violent deaths[/u] on account of their bold witness.

2004/8/7 21:35Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: How the (12) twelve Apostles died.

Quote:
Peter was crucified

I heard the aposle peter was crucified on an 'X' shaped cross, it would be neat to get more details in what actually happened with these men, I know much could be hear-say or tradition, but they all died vailently for the Lord with full assurance of their reward. It makes you think that if we were of the same calibur of zeal the world will hate us just as much.

2004/8/8 19:22Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:
It makes you think that if we were of the same calibur of zeal the world will hate us just as much.

I believe that in the people who visit this site, their are some high calibur people, who have an 'inspired zeal'. So I am sure that there are some who are indeed hated for their faith.

I personally get the picture of a cork on a champagne bottle. You shake and shake the bottle, knowing that something is happening, but the cork is in the way. Eventually there is so much pressure that the cork pops off and this stuff comes shooting out. The little cork held sway over that big bottle of bubbly. I think the term 'put a cork in it' takes on a more profound meaning for us Christians.

The thing that I have noticed is the people who have the most to say are normaly the ones who get into the most trouble. The scripture...open wide your mouth and I will fill it(Psalm 81:10) gives me encouragement at this time. Forces me to ask a serious question, what on earth am I so afraid of??????? I'll let you know the answer sometime.

Anyway, bless you man
Zeke

2004/8/9 18:04Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Since this is a forum on church history, I thought it might be helpful to add that these accounts came from early church traditions, some of which are almost certainly not true. It was also interesting while traveling in Europe to note how Catholics in different places formed peculiar affection towards the patron saints allegedly related to their geographical location.

One thing we can be sure though, except for John the beloved disciple, all of them died violent deaths (and John [i]lived[/i] to endure perhaps even more violence).

On the other hand, we should be aware of Satan's other perhaps more effective strategy--[i]comfort[/i] is often a more potent weapon than [i]persecution.[/i]

2004/8/18 8:25Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy