SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are we really supposed to wait for everybody to eat according to 1 Cor 11:33

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Santana

Are we really supposed to wait for everybody to eat according to 1 Cor 11:33

This is not a very serious post but I just read something I never saw.

"Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another." -1 Corinthians 11:33

I'm sure this is not a huge deal but is it wrong to start eating before everbody gets to the table? Does this apply at all meals?

I'm realizing the bible DOES cover everything. :-)

2009/2/23 16:21Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: Are we really supposed to wait for everybody to eat according to 1 Cor 11:33

Maybe Paul is referring to making sure everyone actually gets food? Since the problem in Corinth was that some believers were not getting any of the Lord's supper because the rich believers were eating it all, perhaps Paul is saying that they should make sure that everyone gets a portion before eating. Not necessarily wait until everyone is sitting down at a table, however, that would be good manners in our culture :-) ...

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/2/23 18:11Profile
run2win

USA

Re: Are we really supposed to wait for everybody to eat according to 1 Cor 11:33

Hi,

It's interesting that this verse caught your attention. I agree that waiting on others before eating in general is good manners, and I wonder if some of that practice isn't rooted in this verse of scripture.

From the context of this passage, I would say that Paul is urging the church at Corinth to take the Lord's supper in an unhurried way. It is a time of self examination 1Cor11:27-29, and none should take the supper in an unworthy manner. I think Paul is asking the church body to allow ample time for people to confess their sins and be cleansed and made right with God and others before partaking. This passage teaches that believers should not eat this meal to satisfy hunger, but rather to share in the rememberance of Christ's death until He comes. All of this is true for us today.

2009/2/24 22:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy