SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What do you think of this statement?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
int3grity

What do you think of this statement?

"It is for us quietly to labor on. Our daydreams are over: we shall neither convert the world to righteousness, nor the church to orthodoxy. We refuse to bear responsibilities which do not belong to us, for our real responsibilities are more than enough. Certain wise brethren are hot to reform their denomination. They ride out gallantly. Success be to the champions! They are generally wiser when they ride home again.

I confess great admiration for my Quixotic brethren, but I wish they had more to show for their valor. I fear that both church and world are beyond us; we must be content with smaller spheres. Even our own denomination must go its own way. We are only responsible so far as our power goes, and it will be wise to use that power for some object well within reach. For the rest, let us not worry and weary about things beyond our line. What if we cannot destroy all the thorns and thistles which curse the earth; we can, perhaps, cleanse our own little plot. If we cannot transform the desert into a pasture, we may at least make two blades of grass grow where only one grew before; and that will be something.

Brethren, let us look well to our own steadfastness in the faith, our own holy walking with God. Some say that such advice is selfish; but I believe that, in truth, it is not selfishness, but a sane and practical love of others which leads us to be mindful of our own spiritual state. Desiring to do its level best, and to use its own self in the highest degree to God's glory, the true heart seeks to be in all things right with God. He who has learned to swim has fostered a proper selfishness, for he has thereby acquired the power of helping the drowning." - Charles Spurgeon.

2009/2/21 20:28Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: What do you think of this statement?

It sounds like good advice to me and echos many things I have read in Scripture.

Thanks for posting it. Do you know when it was written? If it was early or late in Mr. Spurgeon's life.

Kind regards,
white stone

2009/2/21 21:40Profile

Re: What do you think of this statement?

I think it is full of wisdom and very scriptural.

Thank you for posting it.

2009/2/21 22:12

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy