SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Matthew 6:13 And do not lead us into temptation...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Matthew 6:13 And do not lead us into temptation...

Matthew 6:13
And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one.

We were discussing this issue yesterday, does anyone know any good sermons or articles on this?
Who leads into temptation? - God?
Who tempts? - Satan?
What is it that leads me into temptation?
What must I do so that I am not lead into temptation?
Is there a differenc in the temptation of Jesus, versus the temptation of Peter, or the temptation of Adam or Hannanias and Saphira?
One leading to victory, one leading to brokeness, another leading to death?

2009/2/17 13:30Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: Matthew 6:13 And do not lead us into temptation...

The Puritan Thomas Watson wrote an entire book on the Lord's Prayer... It can be read online here:

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/m.sion/watspray.htm

[b]Here is the Westminster Assembly's writing on the topic:[/b]

In the sixth petition (which is, And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil), acknowledging, that the most wise, righteous, and gracious God, for divers holy and just ends, may so order things, that we may be assaulted, foiled, and for a time led captive by temptations; that Satan, the world, and the flesh, are ready powerfully to draw us aside, and ensnare us; and that we, even after the pardon of our sins, by reason of our corruption, weakness, and want of watchfulness, are not only subject to be tempted, and forward to expose ourselves unto temptations, but also of ourselves unable and unwilling to resist them, to recover out of them, and to improve them; and worthy to be left under the power of them: we pray, that God would so overrule the world and all in it, subdue the flesh, and restrain Satan, order all things, bestow and bless all means of grace, and quicken us to watchfulness in the use of them, that we and all his people may by his providence be kept from being tempted to sin; or, if tempted, that by his Spirit we may be powerfully supported and enabled to stand in the hour of temptation: or when fallen, raised again and recovered out of it, and have a sanctified use and improvement thereof: that our sanctification and salvation may be perfected, Satan trodden under our feet, and we fully freed from sin, temptation, and all evil, forever.

2009/2/17 13:41Profile

Re: Matthew 6:13 And do not lead us into temptation...

Heartsong has posted this book "THE BLESSED LIFE" by F. B. Meyer on the Articles forum.

[excerpt]

WE MUST NOT EXPECT TO BE FREE FROM TEMPTATION.

"Our adversary, the devil, is always going about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. He tempted our Lord, and he will tempt us. He will entice us to do wrong by every avenue of sense, and will pour his evil suggestions through eye, ear, touch, mouth, and mind. If he does not attack us himself, he can set on us any one of his myriad agents, who will get behind us and whisperingly suggest many grievous blasphemies, which we shall think have proceeded from our own mind.

But temptation is not sin. A man may ask me to share with him the spoils of a burglary, but no one can accuse me of receiving stolen property if I indignantly refuse and keep my doors tightly shut against him. Our Lord was tempted in all points as we are, yet without sin. You might go through Hell itself, teeming with all manner of awful suggestions, and yet not sin.

God would not allow Satan to tempt us if temptation necessarily led to sin. But temptation does not do so. There is no sin so long as the will refuses to consent to the solicitation or catch at the bait.

Temptation may even be a blessing to a man when it reveals to him his weakness and drives him to the almighty Savior. Do not be surprised, then, dear child of God, if you are tempted at every step of your earthly journey, and almost beyond endurance; but you will not be tempted beyond what you are able to bear, and with every temptation there will be a way of escape."

2009/2/17 17:33

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy