SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sell all you own and give to the poor - Your take on this, please

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Mr. Bill say if Krispy sold out and gave all his money to the poor there would be no more poor folks.

Lol... if only that were true. Hardly.

Bill, if my nose was running money I would blow it all on you.

Krispy

2009/2/18 8:15
Dimlyviewed

Re:

I would suppose that we could take this a little further and own the NT claim that your message states. Why should we donate to a ministry to support widows and orphans when it is a call to the local assembly to undertake such a task? Why not keep this list ourselves and administer this duty properly? Why should we remove blinders when we aren't even practicing what we preach? Let alone opening the Word as much as we tell others they should be?

2009/2/22 16:13Profile

Re:

Quote:

Why should we donate to a ministry to support widows and orphans when it is a call to the local assembly to undertake such a task?

This is a call to individual Christians, to love your neighbor as yourself, as well as the collection of local Christians in an area. In missions "some go down in the well and some hold the ropes". Those back in America holding the ropes should certainly seek out to find poor believers, the homeless, etc, to help locally also.

Matthew 25:31-46, James 1:27, Luke 12:33-37

Quote:

"Why should we remove blinders when we aren't even practicing what we preach? Let alone opening the Word as much as we tell others they should be?"

Only you can answer those questions for yourself if you are not practicing what you preach or opening the word of God. I would encourage you to seek to do both though.

-Jim

2009/2/22 20:24
Dimlyviewed

Re:

Quote:
This is a call to individual Christians, to love your neighbor as yourself, as well as the collection of local Christians in an area. In missions "some go down in the well and some hold the ropes". Those back in America holding the ropes should certainly seek out to find poor believers, the homeless, etc, to help locally also.

I believe you may be missing the point here. The call is not to sign up for a mission board and subcontract the gospel out to a foreign missionary or ministry that does the work of the Saints for the Saints. The Word never says this is something that we have a choice in. While we spend time quoting memorable statements of the revered Paul Washer, we miss entirely the call to missions for all Christians. It's like preaching the tithe, you are letting those who neglect their duty off easy because it's easier to send money to someone else who does it for you.

I think you contradict your own logic. You say in America we are content to sit up in Zion at ease while others suffer, but you say we should send money to those who are suffering doing the work. The only way we have this ease is because we are still sitting up in Zion and falsifying our piety through our acts of "religion."

Quote:
Only you can answer those questions for yourself if you are not practicing what you preach or opening the word of God. I would encourage you to seek to do both though.

I wasn't asking your advice, I was indicting your statements.

2009/2/22 20:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
I wasn't asking your advice, I was indicting your statements.

That's to bad since I was simply stating the word of God and heart of Jesus. What's your name brother?

-Jim

2009/2/22 21:54

Re:

Quote:
While we spend time quoting memorable statements of the revered Paul Washer, we miss entirely the call to missions for all Christians.

You clearly are not speaking of the Holy Spirit. You have no idea what absurdity you are speaking.

-Jim

2009/2/22 22:06
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Jim, Thank you for speaking up. Since I started this thread I have been considering trying to delete it. I would appreciate a moderator stepping in.

white stone

2009/2/22 23:37Profile

Re:

White_stone

I think your thread is great. There will always be strong feelings when we are gutting at the heart of mammon in our lives. In fact, someone joined SI JUST to oppose what had been an otherwise fruitful thread here. They were either really convicted by brother Davids message or had a "pre-existing" reason to start making wild speculations about what is and isnt being said here. I was simply sharing a personal conviction that I have, that is, living in a middle class neighborhood it is easy to have blinders on and not see those brethren in need around the world. That is why I thank God for places like Orphans Tear, GFA, etc... and for those who the Lord used to bring me to this realization.

Yes we are told to care for the poor believers amongs us and I believe many here on SI do "practice what they preach" despite the unsubstantiated implication of our new member. Yet even the Apostle said he wanted equality amongst the Churches and collected money for poorer brethren elsewhere. (2 Cornithians 8)

-Jim

2009/2/23 8:02
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
The problem I have found is that thousands of children are starving to death and dying of preventable diseases around the world every day while we mostly sit at ease in Zion.

One of the challenges in our times is to know what to do with a host of media provided information about lost souls, poverty and suffering in the world. This is one of the aspects of the "Just who is responsible for this state of affairs" thread.

The reality is we are called of God to hear what the Spirit is saying to us and in our congregation. That is where our responsibility lies. The need is too great and too overwhelming to do otherwise. Again I Timothy 6:

[color=000066]Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.[/color]

Negative commands:

1) Do not be high minded
2) Do not [u]trust[/u] in uncertain riches

Positive commands:

1) Trust in the living God
2) Do good and be rich in good works
3) Be ready to distribute (your goods)
4) Willing to communicate (be generous)

Central Truth:

1) Trust in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy.

Trusting God and serving God often brings the blessing of God. When we live a life of contentment in accordance with I Timothy 6 we position ourselves to be an instrument for bringing glory to God through giving.

[color=000066]Now he who supplies seed to the farmer and bread to eat will also supply you with seed and multiply it and enlarge the harvest that results from your righteousness. (II Cor. 9)[/color]

This is the balance. God provides us with what we need to enjoy richly while at the same time providing a means of our being a blessing to those in need as we are sensitive to the Holy Spirit or purpose in our own hearts to give (sometimes it is hard to tell the difference). The devil typically don't tell us to give to those in need. Yet because the needs are so great we must bear in mind that our responsibility is [u]first[/u] to pay our bills (debts) and provide for those of our own household. Contentment should be central.

God will sometimes bless us with things we don't expect. He has a purpose in that. There is no need to feel bad or shunned. Delight thyself also in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart. You cannot out give God- but you must be sensitive and wise. Men go to seed on all kinds of passages and end up in ruin. Keep a level head and some common sense.

2009/2/23 10:03Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Thank you Jim, Robert and Dimlyviewed,

Especially [b]Dimlyviewed[/b], for it was because of his posts that Jim and Robert supplied their heartfelt comments.

Praise the Lord for turning what I thought was a disaster into a blessing. How well I know that He does this and yet, how easily I forget. I should write Romans 8:28 on the backs of my hands to always keep it before my eyes.

Quote:
[b][size=x-small][color=000099]Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.[/color][/size][/b]

Kindest regards to you all,
white stone

(edited to insert new members name in place of the phrase 'new member')

2009/2/23 10:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy