SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Men of God wives...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Men of God wives...

My interest is to find sermons, interviews, biographies, ideas, and suggestions on godly men and their wives.

The reason is two fold (from my limited point of view); first because I was somewhat disheartened when I read that Tozer's wife was quoted as saying about her second marriage that she was happy to finally have a real husband. The second reason is that I would like to be a man of God, but I do not want to exlcude my wife.

Jesus without the church would have been meaningless, as would my life without my wife.

Blessings,
BrianMira

2009/2/15 0:51
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Men of God wives...

Brother,

I have setup up a page on sermonindex on sort of this subject, on the "Godly home"

http://www.sermonindex.net/thegodlyhome.php

These ones might be of specific help to what you are looking for:

Husbands Love Your Wifes! by Keith Daniel
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=5285&commentView=itemComments

The Hidden Women by Denny Kenaston
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=7325&commentView=itemComments

Where are the Men by Denny Kenaston
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=7326&commentView=itemComments

2009/2/15 2:21Profile

Biographies to look into

Oswald and Biddy Chambers (Abandoned to God)
Howard and Geraldine Taylor
Jonathan and Sarah Edwards (Marriage to a Difficult Man)
Thomas (Stonewall) and Anna Jackson (Letters to His Wife)
Adoniram and Ann Judson
Charles and Susanna Spurgeon

That's what comes to mind right now. I keep thinking and share more possibilities if I think of them.

~Joy

2009/2/15 8:56
elanham

Maryland

Try not to be too disheartened about the condition of a man of Gods wife and how it reflects upon the man.

Hosea had an adultress wife. God also spoke of Israel as an adultress people. And dare I say the even the Church at times has waffled between to lovers. Her Lord, and the world and its enticements. I would not say that these brides reflect anything negative about their husbands.

Sometimes a wifes condition can be directly related to the husbands life and other times the wifes condition is a result of her own life choices whether good or bad.

I would like to give Tozer the benefit of the doubt.

2009/2/15 9:38Profile

Re:

I thought of another good book. A Man Called Peter by Catherine Marshall. Peter Marshall had a great passion for the Christian home and he and Catherine shared a beautiful marriage.

2009/2/15 19:15
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

A thorough Puritan book on the subject would be "Domestical Duties" by William Gouge.

2009/2/15 19:37Profile

Re:

Thank you all...more would be appreciated, not only for me, but for others.

Quote:

elanham wrote:
Try not to be too disheartened about the condition of a man of Gods wife and how it reflects upon the man.

Hosea had an adultress wife. God also spoke of Israel as an adultress people. And dare I say the even the Church at times has waffled between to lovers. Her Lord, and the world and its enticements. I would not say that these brides reflect anything negative about their husbands.

Sometimes a wifes condition can be directly related to the husbands life and other times the wifes condition is a result of her own life choices whether good or bad.

I would like to give Tozer the benefit of the doubt.

I am not sure that I completely agree with your logic. ...although I have been wrong before.

My hope is to be a Man of God and for my wife to be a Woman of God, learning from those before us and to not repeat the mistakes of those whom have done what they wilt.

I enjoy Tozer, but that point made me realize that some 'men of God' mean more to the church than their home. With the suggestions from others such as Spurgeon, Edwards, and Chambers, I feel that I will not find those same criticisms.

In Christ and the Whole Body,
BrianMira

BTW: I understand that we cannot totally control or influence everyone, including our spouse, and that we are to do what we can, but I hope to do everything that God gives me to do...

2009/2/18 0:05
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Brian,

I appreciate your concern on this issue. It is a tough one to deal with: how is it that a person can be so used by God and yet have such serious personal problems with others/spouse? (And there are many more, other then Tozer, unfortunately.)

Many years ago I was stunned that my preacher-grandfather was not perfect! This revelation was helpful to me - I had put the fellow on a pedestal and this was not right, so God allowed me to see something which knocked him clean off of that honored position. In any case, it did teach me to not revere people so highly and leave these things to God, let him judge. This belongs in the category of unanswered questions that baffle the mind.

Now in the meantime, you be the best husband you can be to your wife. While the husband has a greater responsibility for his wife's spiritual life then the wife does for the husband, each person will still have to stand before God and give an account, can't blame your failings on another person because God's grace is always available there to assist one to live faithfully.

My understanding on this issue...

ginnyrose

2009/2/21 13:25Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Brian,

I would like to continue my thoughts on this issue. The longer I think about it the more it awakens within me the issues I have had to deal with in my younger years. So, I will proceed to share insights and how they were acquired.

When I was a young woman, I attended a Bible School. One day as I was studying Anabaptist History, realization dawned on me of an idea that lurked in the deepest recesses of my brain and how history proved the validity of this scripture in Eccle. 7:10: "Do not say, 'Why is it that the former days were better than these?' For it is not from wisdom that you ask about this." (NASB) You see, I used to think if one lived back then, there would be a whole lots less issues to deal with. Suddenly I became aware that I am glad I was living in 1967 instead of the 1500s because of the problems - other then persecution - that stalked the Christians.

Another incident: my grandfather was a preacher and well loved by his congregation, young and old alike - even the children and their parents called him "grandfather". But grandmother....she never was a real 'spiritual' lady. She believed females who were Biblical scholars were usurping the male authority in life. Later, I learned she was skilled in dowsing for water! At the same time my grandfather took a special interest in me and taught me much scripture and its meaning, something none of the other grandchildren experienced, to my puzzlement. Anyhow, does this all make sense? NO! Did the Holy Spirit not convict them about how wrong dowsing is? Questions and more questions....

Let's see, what did Solomon say? "Do not say, 'Why is it that the former days were better than these?' For it is not from wisdom that you ask about this." (NASB)This still applies today and it comforts me when I want to know the answers to questions whose answers will never be forthcoming in this life. So, I will leave it to God and continue on....

Brother, the longer you look at important people in church history, the more you will learn that some things will never make sense.

Hope this helps...

ginnyrose

2009/2/21 15:06Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

I belive it is Gods will to save the whole household, men and wifes and children. Some good recomendations here, but i think we often miss an important thing, a man can be truly a man of God and his wife be the very opposite, and the other way around also, i think of wesley and of william carey.

I think many times if one, the man or wife seek God with all their hearts the spouse becomes a target for satans attacks more. Also we may judge a man in ministry for his children may be very wordly annd ungodly, but we do not know the presure and attack from the enemy on his family members for if possibly get to the man or woman through their family.

The quote from tozers wife we can only speculate about, not so wise to do so, but Tozer was a man with Gods message, this would require great sacrifice from the family to allow him to spend so much time from them and serving God, on the other hand we must make sure we dont leave our familys behind. Our familys are also our responsibility and our work for the Lord, we must all seek for wisdom and balance in these things.

2009/2/21 15:45Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy