SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Have a question about John chaper 5

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
pastorfrin

Re: Have a question about John chaper 5

Quote:

MaryJane wrote:
I have a question about John chapter 5verses 1:9

John 5
A Man Healed at the Pool of Bethesda
1 After this there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 2 Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda,[a] having five porches. 3 In these lay a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water. 4 For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had.[b] 5 Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?”
7 The sick man answered Him, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”
8 Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.”

My question is why did Jesus ask the man first if he wanted to be made well?
I am wondering is it possible that there are those who are very sick(legitimately) would rather stay the way they are for self reasons? That they really do not want to be made well???

Thanks for any input
God Bless
MJ

Hi MaryJane,

Hope this helps with your question.

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27501&post_id=212990&order=0&viewmode=thread&pid=0&forum=36#212990

2009/2/16 14:25Profile

Re: Have a question about John chaper 5

Hi Maryjane

I think we can all agree that Jesus knows everything. When God asks a question, it is to illicit a response from us, its not because He does not know. So, agreeing on that point, it is certain the question is asked for reason other than what seems obvious. Any cripple, one would assume, who is given the opportunity to be made whole, would grasp it with both hands. The truth is, many of us do not want to be whole. We have formed our identity out of our dysfunction, and we use that dysfunction as an excuse not to do certain things,or for our bad behaviours. If one is healed, then comes expectations. No longer are we to be "nursed," by others. The children in the desert were quite happy to be there and to be fed by the hand of God, even if it was manna every day. To go into the promised land, meant taking on the giants, it meant risking everything. The milk and honey was there, it just had to be gotton, it was not going to be delivered to the door of their tents.

The character of the man at the well is revealed as he later "tells," on Jesus. He turns Jesus into the authorities. If you compare this to the blind man, who is rejected by the authorities, and is thrown out of the temple, we see the difference between greatfulness and selfishness. This again is displayed when the lepers are healed and only one comes back to to thank the Lord. It exposes the rottoness of our humaninty, the worse side of us, it also shows us that the few are greatful...........Frank

2009/2/16 20:32

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy