SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Have a question about John chaper 5

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Have a question about John chaper 5

I have a question about John chapter 5verses 1:9

John 5
A Man Healed at the Pool of Bethesda
1 After this there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 2 Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda,[a] having five porches. 3 In these lay a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water. 4 For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had.[b] 5 Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?”
7 The sick man answered Him, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”
8 Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.”

My question is why did Jesus ask the man first if he wanted to be made well?
I am wondering is it possible that there are those who are very sick(legitimately) would rather stay the way they are for self reasons? That they really do not want to be made well???

Thanks for any input
God Bless
MJ

2009/2/14 12:47Profile
poet

Longview WA

Re: Have a question about John chaper 5

We sometimes stop too early or dont start early enough to find out if the shoe is going to drop on a certain topic...
for example in this scripture just a few verses later.
14 Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.”
15 The man departed and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well.

Many people want to be made well but don"t want to live according to God's righteous requirements to stay healthy.
This Can be a can of worms, but we do need to realize that so many of us could be healed if we would repent, 2chronicles 7:14

something to think about.
:-) :-)

2009/2/14 13:19Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Thanks for your reply. Something to think about defiantly, but I was more thinking about those who want to remain as they are. Those that for self reasons(see themselves as victims, like the attention, that kind of thing) do not want to get up and walk. Perhaps in both physical and spiritual there are those who do not wish to be healed.
Anyway just pondering this today....
God Bless
MJ

2009/2/14 13:40Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Hi MJ,

Why do I get the feeling that I'm talking to myself? Anyway...

I see your point and I agree. I think in 38 years, I could figure out away to get to the pool first if I wanted to. What a lame reply, 'Sir, I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred.' If I wanted it bad enough, I'd make a pallet by the edge and just roll in. I think Jesus realized that.

MJ

2009/2/14 16:24Profile
run2win

USA

Re:

This could very well be the case. People have to see their need and want healing. Perhaps this man had a problem with blame-shifting and not taking responsibility. Christ has a way of showing us our real problems when we are focused on something else. Just a thought.

2009/2/14 23:52Profile
psalm1

Re: Have a question about John chaper 5

Quote,
"My question is why did Jesus ask the man first if he wanted to be made well?"

In my Greek bible it reads "Desire you whole to become"

It could be a rhetorical question

Or, it could possibly be a statement.Ex; You do want to be made well,dont you?

Concerning the other question;
Some do benefit financially off their disability.
Possibly hindering any "faith healing"

Just my $.02

2009/2/15 1:20Profile
JesusLoves

Re:

i too wonder. Jesus knew everything about that man and may be he saw something that we do not see in this man's heart

2009/2/16 1:16Profile

The Healing Messenger.

Did you ever think that Jesus was the messenger that had appeared at the pool, so many times before?.....and that he was right on time again.

Could it be that the pool was never to be visited in that fashion again, as the HEALING MESSENGER revealed Himself?

He knew the man was there for healing. He knows all things. The question was a rhetorical one, for the sake of the man who was healed, for him to understand WHO that angel really was, and who held Divine power over life itself.

Jesus then proceeded to heal all of them who had faith in Himself.

2009/2/16 4:21
menderofnets

South Yorkshire, UK

Re:

Healing is God's action.

Sometimes people who need healing, whether it be something small or quite serious, need to want it. Some people, perhaps those with conditions since birth, are used to being affected in a particular way. To be healed is something different and their desire for healing is different to someone praying for healing after hearing a doctor's diagnosis.

I love the way that Jesus asks the man if he wants to be well. Everyone there is waiting, wanting healing. There is only one answer to Jesus question, but yet he asks it.

We live in a sea of brokenness, illness and all of what we can see around us. Do we ask God to heal the land? I know, it's a different tangent, but just thinking aloud....

2009/2/16 7:08Profile
run2win

USA

Re:

In reading all of your thoughts, I was reminded of the Samaritan woman. Water was involved in her encounter with Jesus, too.

We do not find healing in a place, but in a Person: "...whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."(John4:14)

His impact transforms us and gives us a testimony: "The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men, "Come, see a man, which told me all things which ever I did: is not this the Christ?" (John4:28-29)

He knew exactly how to confront the hearts of these two in love. This is making me think of how God shines His light in our hearts that we might examine ourselves. And He tests us to approve us. This should be our ongoing desire as He sanctifies us.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Ps139:23-24

2009/2/16 10:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy