Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Mortify the Deeds of the flesh

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Mortify the Deeds of the flesh

The Bible says in Romans 8:12-13
Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

-----------------------------------

This sounds like if you mortify the deeds of the flesh, this is what will save you. How are we to approach the issue of mortification.

2009/2/13 11:59Profile
run2win

USA

Re: Mortify the Deeds of the flesh

Only through the Spirit can the deeds of the body be mortified. We have to belong to Him. He must be Lord. Raised to new life in Christ, I walk not by the flesh, but by the Spirit. I put off the old man and put on the new man, I walk by faith, not by sight. There will always be a battle, the tempter will come, but through Christ we always have a way of escape (1Cor10:12-13).

Colossians 3:1-17 is a wonderful cross reference to study on this profound topic.

Our position in Christ is key. And we must set our minds and our hearts and our affections on Him.

2009/2/13 12:16Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Col 3v1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

Here it says if I am risen with Christ. If this is to be believed then I would have to say I am Dead in Christ as well.

Paul later goes on in verse 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

This the very thing that I want to find out how do I die in Christ and become hid with Christ in God.

I can say that I am born again, justified but I am not dead in Christ. I say that because I can find these things in my heart anger, malice, pride and bitterness etc etc.

Then in verse 9 Paul say Lie not one to another, "seeing that ye have put off the old man" with his deeds

So Paul is writing to people who have put off the old man I see this where he says "seeing that ye have put off the old man"

So reading this Paul is talking to people who have put off the old man are dead but Risen with Christ and hid in God. So if I have not put off the old man and I am not dead how do I do that.

How do I get to the stage where I can say this in verse 11 Christ is all, and in all.

Here I will be honest and say Christ is not my all. I would say that I know him but he is not my all but I do want to get to that stage where I can say Christ is all and in all.

Does that make any sense to you?

What is this putting off of the old man and what is being risen with Christ and Hid in God?

2009/2/13 19:52Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
What is this putting off of the old man and what is being risen with Christ and Hid in God?

Brother, I would heartily recommend you read Watchman Nee's "The Normal Christian Life".

2009/2/13 21:11Profile
JesusLoves

Re:

"Here I will be honest and say Christ is not my all. I would say that I know him but he is not my all but I do want to get to that stage where I can say Christ is all and in all..."

WOW!
Do not worry- all OF US ARE in the same boat. At the same time strive on towards this goal for Jesus is our standard...
One step at a time, one moment at a time-just be conscious of His presence acknowledge Him -talk to Him-just be quick to repent...very soon you are on the highway towards your goal. Small lanes will merge to bigger roads to merge on to the highway and unknowingly as we continue to YIELD to His promptings- read His word- we will see that we are driving ourselves less-and jesus is in the drivers seat more and then - JESUS IS THE DRIVER all the time!.

2009/2/24 19:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy