Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : MUST I LISTEN? by Oswald Chambers

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 MUST I LISTEN? by Oswald Chambers

[b]MUST I LISTEN?[/b]

"And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die." Exodus 20:19

We do not consciously disobey God, we simply do not heed Him. God has given us His commands; there they are, but we do not pay any attention to them, not because of wilful disobedience but because we do not love and respect Him. "If ye love Me, ye will keep My commandments." When once we realize that we have been "disrespecting" God all the time, we are covered with shame and humiliation because we have not heeded Him.

"Speak thou with us . . . but let not God speak with us." We show how little we love God by preferring to listen to His servants only. We like to listen to personal testimonies, but we do not desire that God Himself should speak to us. Why are we so terrified lest God should speak to us? Because we know that if God does speak, either the thing must be done or we must tell God we will not obey Him. If it is only the servant's voice we hear, we feel it is not imperative, we can say, "Well, that is simply your own idea, though I don't deny it is probably God's truth."

Am I putting God in the humiliating position of having treated me as a child of His whilst all the time I have been ignoring Him? When I do hear Him, the humiliation I have put on Him comes back on me - "Lord, why was I so dull and so obstinate?" This is always the result when once we do hear God. The real delight of hearing Him is tempered with shame in having been so long in hearing Him.

2009/2/12 11:37Profile

Re: MUST I LISTEN? by Oswald Chambers

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:

We do not consciously disobey God, we simply do not heed Him. God has given us His commands; there they are, but we do not pay any attention to them, not because of wilful disobedience but [b]because we do not love and respect Him.[/b] "If ye love Me, ye will keep My commandments." When once we realize that we have been "disrespecting" God all the time, we are covered with shame and humiliation because we have not heeded Him.

This morning I spent time meditating on Revelation 2:2-4, [i]"I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name’s sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because [b]thou hast left thy first love[/b]."[/i]

And it stirred within me a fresh realization of how important it is that we love Jesus Christ, and that ultimately, the supreme duty of a Christian is to love Jesus. Obedience without love puts us in the position of the church of Ephesus, who were admonished to [i]"Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works..."[/i]

"Love is a desire for and a delight in the well being of the one loved, leading to active and self-sacrificing efforts on their behalf." (Love with Shoes on)

"Love is an act of the will accompanied by emotion that leads to action on the behalf of it's object." Voddie Baucham

[i]"If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15 [/i]

2009/2/12 12:06

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy