SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does God Talk to His People?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Re:

I found it interesting that the words "Thus saith the Lord" appears in over 400 verses in the Old Testament, but they do not appear together once in any of the verses in the New Testament.

2009/2/8 13:19Profile
rookie

Re:

Quote:
I found it interesting that the words "Thus saith the Lord" appears in over 400 verses in the Old Testament, but they do not appear together once in any of the verses in the New Testament.

Everytime the Holy Spirit speaks to an individual, is this not the Lord speaking?

Act 21:11 When he had come to us, he took Paul's belt, bound his [own] hands and feet, and said, "Thus says the Holy Spirit, 'So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver [him] into the hands of the Gentiles.'

Please notice what this Scripture says....

"Thus says the Holy Spirit,"

In Christ
Jeff

2009/2/9 8:45Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Quote:
Everytime the Holy Spirit speaks to an individual, is this not the Lord speaking?

Yes, the New Testament seems to be filled with "Jesus said" (or saith). And then after Jesus died, and rose again, it would be the Comforter that comes unto each of us and speaks His word into our hearts and our minds.

The other day I was thinking, what kind of a Father would not speak to His children?

2009/2/9 11:56Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Frankly, none of the verses quoted so far prove definitely that any of these instances were [b]inaudible[/b]. In every instance in the Bible, the Lord speaks through an [b]audible[/b] voice or a vision.

If this is true, which I contend it is, it doesn't mean God doesn't speak to His people. We have 66 books worth of God speaking to us.

If you want to contend for continuing revelation, at least contend for it under the mode of an audible voice or vision. Although it makes modern mystics feel warm and fuzzy, the idea that God speaks inaudible "into our hearts" is foreign to the Scripture.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/2/9 12:13Profile
rookie

Re:

HeartSong wrote:

Quote:
Yes, the New Testament seems to be filled with"Jesus said" (or saith). And then after Jesus died, and rose again, it would be the Comforter that comes unto each of us and speaks His word into our hearts and our minds.

This is true, but not the entirety of how God speaks to New Testament believers.
Act 27:23 For there stood by me this night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve,

Act 27:24 saying, 'Do not be afraid, Paul; you must be brought before Caesar; and indeed God has granted you all those who sail with you.'

Likewise in another place,

Hbr 13:2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.

Whether old testament or new, God has not changed the means by which He speaks to men.

In Christ
Jeff

2009/2/9 12:19Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Yes, the angels. :-)

And then there is the cloud of witnesses.

2009/2/9 13:15Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother Taylor wrote:

Quote:
Frankly, none of the verses quoted so far prove definitely that any of these instances were inaudible. In every instance in the Bible, the Lord speaks through an audible voice or a vision.

What does this Scripture say?

Pro 1:20 Wisdom calls aloud outside; She raises her voice in the open squares.

Pro 1:21 She cries out in the chief concourses, [fn] At the openings of the gates in the city She speaks her words:

Pro 1:22 "How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity? For scorners delight in their scorning, And fools hate knowledge.

Pro 1:23 Turn at my rebuke; Surely I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you.

please notice the last verse..."Surely I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you."

Whose spirit does this verse refer to?

What is the result of the work of the spirit?

In Christ
Jeff

2009/2/9 14:53Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Making my words known to you could be a variety of things. We know from other places in Scripture that the carnal man cannot understand the things of God, however, the spiritual (regenerated) man can. But, he doesn't necessarily understand them because God "whispered into his heart" inaudibly. He understands them because the Lord has spiritually opened his eyes and understanding to rejoice in and cherish the things revealed and proclaimed by the Lord and His Apostles.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/2/9 14:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
the idea that God speaks inaudible "into our hearts" is foreign to the Scripture.

Is it not odd that one can hear the enemy speak to our hearts, tempting you but the Holy Spirit does not?

ginnyrose

2009/2/9 15:12Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Is it not odd that one can hear the enemy speak to our hearts, tempting you but the Holy Spirit does not?

Again, nowhere in the Scripture does the enemy "speak to our hearts". Satan spoke audibly to our Lord. Paul says "Satan hindered us" in regard to the Jew's persecution.

With care in Christ,
Taylor

2009/2/9 15:20Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy