SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : What is God showing you?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Cool back to back thoughts from BrokenOne and my good friend the professor. Have read both about 3 times.

We have been brought near because He loves us and because He loves us, who else would we want in our boat.

2009/3/4 22:18Profile
dunlow64God

Re:

God is showing me that I need to keep the cross upfront and in full focus. So many have lost sight or never even received sight of the cross. If not for the cross, where would I be? We need to let it sink deep down into our spirit. Some say it's too gruesome or Jesus was at His weakest at that moment. I agree, it was horrible. But Jesus died for the world's sins on that cross and if He hadn't done that, where would we be??? Thank You, God for the cross and thank You, Jesus for enduring it! Please keep bringing to my remembrance the cross and my precious Savior that died there for me!
In Christ,
Wendy

2009/3/5 0:33Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re: What is God showing you?

Jeremiah 1:5
'Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart,
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.'

One could read the first line and just stop there. Think about that. Before we were even formed, He knew us.

[color=0000CC]All[/color] are known before they were formed.
[color=0000CC]Some[/color] are set apart even before they are born.
[color=0000CC]Fewer still[/color] are appointed to a specific and unique task.

Though all may not be set apart, all are known. And if known, have the distinct privelege of knowing the one who knows us.

Some though, in this knowing, have the sense they are set apart. Not knowing what they are set apart for, all one can do is speculate.

In that speculation, it is easy to be drawn to the examples of the few who have been appointed to a unique and specific task, and wonder.

Hebrews 11 speaks of the cloud of witnesses. Easy to focus on these witnesses and wonder if our story will end up similar to their story. But that is the key. It is their story. They 'persevered because they saw Him who was invisible'.

That is the inspiration from the cloud of witnesses. Because of their stories, let us also 'run with perseverence the race marked out for us'. For those who have the sense they have been set apart, the key to finding what you have been set apart for, comes as we see Him who is invisible.

2009/3/5 8:40Profile
run2win

USA

Re:

God is refining my prayer life.

It begins with humility. I must humble myself, and then pray. He desires my prayers, but they must be from a heart humbled before Him. He is high and holy, I must be meek and lowly.

Through prayer, I enter the secret place. And the God of all creation, my Abba Father, is there, waiting for me.

In prayer, I seek the face of God. From my lowly position, I can look up and find the face of my Father, and the light of His countenance exposes my needs, which He already knows, and He shows me my own heart and any darkness there, and He burdens me with the needs of others, and He directs my paths, often showing me that I must turn from my wickedness, forsaking my sin as I confess it, and the blood of His Son Jesus washes over me, and I am clean again, and because I am clean, my prayers availeth much. Because of His mercy and grace, I can walk uprightly, and I can carry within my soul the glory of His radiance.

Matt6:6-13 2Chron7:14 James4:6-10 James5:16

2009/3/5 12:39Profile
Santana

Re:

Mark 16:3

Mary and Mary are heading towards Jesus in the tomb, early in the morning. They ask each other, "Who will roll away the stone for us?" but continue to walk.

God is telling me to seek him early in the morning. He's telling me that the stone in between God & I will be rolled away as long as I continue in that direction.

There only desire was to bless Jesus.

2009/3/5 17:56Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re: He that feareth...

Quote:

MJones wrote:
John 20:16 Jesus said to her, 'Mary'.

In all our seeking, can you think of anything that would be more comforting and assuring than to hear the voice of God as Mary did here? And in that situation, can you think of any other word that Jesus could have said that would have been more comforting to her?

Several hurried to the tomb. Two of the disciples looked around a little and left. But Mary lingered. By her lingering, she put herself in a position to hear.

Lord, You know the words we need to hear. For all who are seeking to hear them, speak them to us as we linger.

I found this very moving. How often do we speak our Lord's Name? Jesus...

But to hear Him speak our name... how humbling, how precious... and we need this reassurance at times, the reassurance that He knows us, knows us by name, we are very special to Him... and in a time when it appeared He was gone from us and that we had lost Him (as Mary must have felt)... He was working that mighty victory of the Cross on our behalf, that mighty victory of His love.

"Mary..."

I find myself reading often these days 1 Jn. 4:17-18 with a great desire to come into this... what he calls being "made perfect in love."

I understand it reads more accurately in the original, "Herein is love with us made perfect..."

So it is our Lord revealing His love to us, it is His love being with us, and growing in us, and coming to fulness in us-- that makes us confident in the day of judgment, and not tormented by fear or guilt... in the midst of all the troubles that are starting to break... "because as He is so are we in this world."

"As HE is..." Jesus could sleep in the boat in the midst of the storm. He had such a confidence of His Father's love for Him, He abode in His Father's love.

The disciples were anxious and filled with fear because they had not yet come to know that great love. They were sure they were about to perish.

I believe our Lord greatly desires to bring us into this fulness of His love... as we go to Him and confess our fears.

What is the problem when fears grip us? Simply that His love has not yet come to fulness in us. "He that feareth is not made perfect in love."

I know that I for one am not there yet, for I have fears. But... Ps. 34:4.

...Teach us, dear Jesus, to abide in Your love.

AD

2009/3/5 18:16Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Quote:

ADisciple wrote:
I found this very moving.

SI at its best when we share encouragement we have received, that then becomes encouragement to others. I have to admit it was pretty cool the morning I read it. Glad to know the Lord has used it again.

2009/3/7 8:18Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re: Warning Across Our Bow

Jeremiah 6

Though I still cannot claim as Jeremiah does, that we are on the brink of judgment, I do believe I can claim that God has fired a warning shot across our bow. At the very least there is opportunity to hear what God might be saying. ‘To whom can I speak and give warning? Who will listen to me?’

As Jeremiah’s message was to God’s people of whom it was said, ‘As a well pours out its water, so she pours out her wickedness’, and that they are not ‘ashamed of their loathsome conduct’, I can’t bring myself to say this is the state of His church today as much as it is the state of the ungodly in our nation.

I believe there is room to connect the economic disaster that is crippling our nation with the words from Jeremiah that describe how things will be ‘when I stretch out my hand against those who live in the land’. And again, ‘I am bringing disaster on this people, the fruit of their schemes, because they have not listened to my words and have rejected my law.’

So as much as this may be His call and warning to an ungodly nation and world, the church is not off the hook. It is an opportunity for all and especially the church to ‘Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is and walk in it’. There we ‘will find rest for our souls’.

It concerns me that so many are trying to carry on with life as normal; so few seem to be getting the message. ‘The bellows blow fiercely to burn away the lead with fire, but the refining goes on in vain’. I fear we are not heeding His warning.

2009/3/14 9:18Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:What's missing

Why do our efforts to win others so often fall on death ears? I seek God for myself. I seek God for others. I have, what seems like, God given opportunities to talk with people, but for the most part, I do not see change.

The Lord has been showing me lately that unless they are drawn... unless the Father enables them, they will not come.

We do not pray like we used to. There is no greater battle to engage in, yet I cannot say I have got down in the trenches for others, as some who are in battle have to do at times, but I am being stirred to do so. I believe that is what's missing.

2009/5/10 18:15Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re:

Quote:
We do not pray like we used to.

A friend of mine went to a women’s conference at a church in the next town this weekend. She called me on the way back describing all the various gimmicks that were employed to draw people: break dancing; secular music at the “after party”; lipstick kisses on the ladies room mirrors………

The reasoning seems to be that the end justifies the means. But all that would be unnecessary to draw people in if we would just pray. I mean really pray. I think you’re right that prayer is what’s missing. It takes too long and it’s too hard. Much easier to draw a lipstick kiss on a mirror.

2009/5/10 21:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy