SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Christian" Compilations?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
no1toknow

"Christian" Compilations?

Hi brother and sisters! I may seem "new" here but I do read the forum each day and download sermons on a regular basis. Some of you feel like my own family!

On to the topic.

Are Christian Compilations really "Christian"?

I don't want to stir debate and would rather steer away from it. This is more of a "Take it to God in prayer" type thread.

If a sinner asked "How can I be saved?" we'd all share the Gospel and then ask them to repent, place their faith in Christ and call on His Name in prayer.

In the same way, I'd like to share my thoughts and ask that we all come to the Lord in humble seeking of His perfect Will for our own lives.

Over the years I've listened to comps with music and sermon clips mixed in and enjoyed them very much.

Then, a strange thing happened.

The Lord convicted me on listening to them and made it clear I was not to do so due to the morality behind them.

None of us would tell a police officer we didn't think it was wrong to pass through the red light; the law clearly states that it's a violation of civil rule.

In the same way, to create a compilation without express permission from the music composers and speakers... is this not also breaking the law?

Yet, we justify ourselves and claim "It's anointed! People are being touched by these!"

I'm the guilty party here.

I was also touched by them and created a few myself in the past.

I excused my theft by justifying myself with such thoughts as "I'm going to bless people with these! They're so powerful!"

People were blessed by some of my comps and I know people are blessed by others' comps just as much as I was blessed by them.

But pragmatism has no place in the Kingdom of God. The end does not ever justify the means.

Are our excuses to "bless people" and touch lives an acceptable offering to God? Will these motives of our wretched hearts stand true on that great Day?

I tremble to think of the rewards lost because of our compromise.

If those in the secular world did to their music what we do to our's they'd find themselves in court.

How much more must we maintain a steadfast gaze towards the Court of Heaven?

The Lord has set laws in place, some greater than others, but all are to be obeyed naturally, as He's written His Moral Law on all of our hearts.

I have since gotten rid of all of the comps I've accumulated through the years because someone somewhere was being taken advantage of by me, a professed Christ-Follower.

I don't write these things to say what you should or should not do; that job is for the Holy Spirit alone.

I only offer my experience and whether or not we judge it right to take material which is clearly not our's to alter.

Please do seek the Lord over these issues.

2009/2/5 23:51Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: "Christian" Compilations?

Hi There 'no1toknow' (that's an unusual name!),

Interesting you posted this as I had been thinking about the value of these compilations yesterday, but from a different perspective.

I don't know about the copyright law and would trust that those being used were in the public domain.

My concern is that these compliations, which are very popular at present are all cut and pastes of much longer messages (a bit too like the whole 'sound bite' way the media world operates today) and that they are not doing justice to the message that was originally given. If someone were to cut a part of my preaching out of context with the whole of what I said and put it in the public domain, I don't think I would be too happy as it is possible to give the wrong emphasis to what was originally said.

We know you can repeat a part of what someone has said and leave out something important to give a completely different message. I'm not suggesting that is what is being done, but you take my point! Are the people that are the most 'compiled' such as Paul Washer happy with this? Has anyone bothered to ask him?

When Paul the Apostle wanted to win people to Christ, he reason with them, persuaded them, taught them and argued with them from the scriptures, often over many days and weeks. he did not throw them a 'sound bite' Likewise when he needed to encourage the saints he wrote full reasoned letters or taught them for many hours.

Are we just 'entertaining' ourselves and justifying it by a 'spiritual' context?

2009/2/6 6:08Profile

Re:

Quote:
I excused my theft by justifying myself with such thoughts as "I'm going to bless people with these! They're so powerful!"

Brother (or sister) before throwing around slanderous accusations at the brethren (theft, compromise, etc) you should do some quick fact checking. Do not think I write this harshly but I do need to expose your folly since you have written this on a public forum and are clearly in error on your broad sweeping judgment.

Here is a portion of the fair use clause taken from the US copyright law (FL-102, Revised July 2006 )

Quote:

This right is subject to certain limitations found in sections 107 through 118 of the Copyright Act (title 17, U. S. Code). One of the more important limitations is the doctrine of “fair use.” Although fair use was not mentioned in the previous copyright law, the doctrine has developed through a substantial number of court decisions over the years. This doctrine has been codified in section 107 of the copyright law.

Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered “fair,” such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:

the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

the nature of the copyrighted work;

amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

It's true that some comps do stretch this statute, but many here on SI do not. I recently posted a compilation that uses all freely downloadable music called Living Sacrifice.

-Jim

2009/2/6 8:05
no1toknow

Re:

Those are some very valid points, HeyDave and a cause to pause and ponder on these things.

Jim please accept my apologies for not communicating as I would have liked to. When I said "my theft" I mean that when the Lord convicted me I saw it for myself as theft after my eyes were opened to it. It may be much different for others and this is why I did not level such a charge at anyone else but myself.

As for the Living Sacrifice CD there is a disclaimer on it and on the site that says "(c) 2007 - You are welcome to make additional copies of the material on this website for free distribution to others. You may also use the material at your places of fellowship. All other forms of distribution and reproduction are prohibited."

I do encourage you to contact the Brethren there to ask them permission to keep your compilations as they ask that you not reproduce their music in any other form.

Once more I do not wish to debate but only wrote to spark prayer and the seeking of God in these matters.

2009/2/6 10:08Profile

Re: "Christian" Compilations?

I use primarily audio Bible verses and the music I use is primarily worship music or public domain stuff. I also neither recieve nor desire earthly gain from this ministry.

I make my comps under the leading of the Holy Spirit and to edify me, to bolster me.

But brother, or sister, you must do as your heart dictates.

neil

2009/2/6 10:26

Re:

Quote:
In the same way, to create a compilation without express permission from the music composers and speakers... is this not also breaking the law?

Brother (or sister),

I could have been more clear as well, sorry for that. This is the main issue which I have quoted you, that it is actually NOT illegal in most cases to use clips without permission. The fair use right protects a second party in the same authority that a first party is protected under US copyright law. So there is a bit of a faulty premise on your part in not having known this perhaps? That is all I am saying. We must all obey our own consciences though in disputable manners.

God bless you in Christ Jesus

-Jim

2009/2/6 10:37

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy