SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The patience of listening

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

The patience of listening

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:"

- James 1:19(KJV)

"He that answereth a matter before he heareth [i]it[/i], it [i]is[/i] folly and shame unto him."

- Proverbs 18:13(KJV)

This weekend as I drove back from a visit with family in Ohio, I was going through the radio stations and I stopped to listen to a program on public radio(NPR I think). The program was about an essay that a doctor had written on the subject of 'the power of listening' or something along those lines. As I recall, this essay was the week's winner for a contest that had asked people to write on things that they believed in.

The author began by recalling how once, in visiting with a patient, she had started out by telling the patient so much about her, that is, the patient's, situation, and how, after a certain amount of time, the patient very forcefully interrupted her, to tell the doctor that 'this was her story to tell'. The doctor was embarassed by her own behavior and how she hadn't given the woman the opportunity to tell her own story.

As she continued to relate this event and others in her own experience and how helpfull and beneficial listening can be in helping and healing others, I thought of something that I heard in a message from Pastor Wurmbrand. After listening to the story on the radio and thinking of this, I wanted to share it with you all.

It seems to me that we can become so eager and so ready to give people answers, especially the answers we think they need. And yet we can forget, or even lack the patience, to be able to listen to them and let them tell their story.

The following brief qoutation is transcribed from a message titled 'The Underground Church', given by Richard Wurmbrand:

"Nobody can preach well, unless he listens well. This applies also to the free world. I have already the age of 65 and when I look back, to my dealing with souls, I have won more souls by listening to them, then by speaking to them. People have so many burdens on their heart and their is nobody who has the patience to listen to them."

2009/2/3 20:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy