SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Personal Study and Family Worship

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Personal Study and Family Worship

I just finished reading an article by A. W. Pink about Family Worship and have felt a conviction that I need to be conducting family worship in my household each and every day. This is a struggle, especially considering my personal study is hit or miss.

I know that our time with God is a holy time, but I was curious as to what my fellow Sermon Indexers do for your personal study time and also your family worship.

The struggle I have with my personal study is my thoughts. I always seem to zone out or get lost in something else. I also struggle with "what it means to study". I'm not much for studying (academic or not) and don't know "if i'm doing it right". I know there isn't necessarily a "right" way of studying scripture, but having something that is methodical would help. I know there are various things I can do like reading through the Bible in a year and other books I could buy, but I'd rather just focus on the word itself.

I'm open to new techniques, and am really interested to see what works for you all! I know one thing is certain, I do have a desire to know the Lord better and center my home on Him.

2009/2/3 19:37Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: Personal Study and Family Worship

Hello fuehrerbe21,

My husband and I listen to the Bible on MP3 every day. We have been doing this for over a year or so and are going through the New Testament for the 4th or 5th time. We have found that the more you do it, the more you need to do it. We look forward to that time spent listening to God's Word. We are gradually becoming more familiar with the Word and when needs be I can have a pretty good idea of where to find the particular verse I want/need. My husband is not as 'secretarial' in his thinking and does not have a road map in his head as I do but the word it written on his heart. That is the main purpose of study, anyway. To input God's Word so strongly into your heart and mind that it is always before your eyes. Walking in the world gets much safer with the Word before your eyes.

In a word, just start doing it. You can all gather for a little while and listen. I find it helps me to remember where the verses are better if I follow along with the written word as I listen. This way I get a double dose. Audio [b]and[/b] Visual, Praise the Lord.

So just do it, it is painless. Just listen, you don't have to work at it, as in study with a capital [b]S[/b]. Let the Word flow into your ears and the Holy Spirit will do the work. You might not notice any difference for a while but just wait. . .

Kindest regards,
white stone

2009/2/3 19:57Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re: Personal Study and Family Worship

Quote:

fuehrerbe21 wrote:

The struggle I have with my personal study is my thoughts. I always seem to zone out or get lost in something else.

About 5 years ago, I started journaling my thoughts. I told God when I started, that I would not be churchy and that I would write what was on my mind. There are times I begin with, 'There is really nothing on my mind this morning...' and then several pages later I am done.

I share this because it helps me to focus. It is hard for your mind to wander when you you are focusing on just the right words to express what is in you mind.

Typically I begin with my reading time, but somethimes I have such a strong thought that I begin with writing. Usually I read and record the thoughts from what I read then blend it into any requests I might have. I see it all as conversation with God. It is the highlight of my day.

2009/2/3 20:39Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Helpful thoughts, MJones... Thanks!

I like to try and understand the thought flow of the books/letters. Especially in the Epistles, if I can grasp the purpose and thought flow in the book, it helps me understand the book as a whole much better. I also like to utilize Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary to get a brief synopsis of the text.

I don't have much to add, looking forward to seeing what wisdom others can offer.

2009/2/3 21:41Profile
fuehrerbe21

Wisconsin

Re:

I do realize I need to "just do it". This happens to me a lot. I'll get started, go strong for a week or two and then I miss a day and one day becomes two, two becomes three, and you get the picture.

I did tell my wife that we need to start a family worship time each day. Hopefully she will hold me accountable to this.

I keep telling myself that when life is a little less hectic or other things are taken care of, I can start being consistent. The reality is that life will never settle down. I need to start now and not wait for later. Afterall, I don't know when Christ is going to return. I need to be ready!

I was praying last night and this made a lot of sense to me. I tell God all the time that I want to be a warrior. (I'm a romantic at heart, I like knights, war movies, etc). So, here I am, I want to be on the front lines with Christ. In order to do this, I need to be strong enough to use the armor and weapons necessary to fight (Ephesians 6 anyone?). I want to be a warrior, but I'm not even strong enough to pick a sword up.

If I want to fight the good fight, I must be strong (and brave) enough to walk into battle. I encourage all of you to get your daily spiritual exercise and make yourself strong enough to fight on the front lines with Christ.

2009/2/4 15:10Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Family Worship

Hi,
Family worship is one of my greatest discoveries I had in the last couple of years. I should have started it 20 years ago.
I get my wife and 3 daughters 17, 6 and 3 together and I teach systematically through one book in the bible. To my utter amazement the Spirit taught me ways how to explain profound biblical truths to my little ones by simple illustrations that even 3 and 6 year olds can relate to. We have seen a great enrichment in our family life. I told my pastor that I am not going to the bible study anymore because I prefer to teach my family at home. I noticed that God readily supplies his annointing on our devotions because he delights in families that are gathered in his name.

I believe that the churches Paul founded were mostly home based fellowships that attracted more and more people.

Truly, if see an application of Mal 4:6, the last verse in the OT:

Malachi 4:6 (New King James Version)
6 And he will turn The hearts of the fathers to the children, And the hearts of the children to their fathers, Lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.”

I have to be honest, we manage about 2-4 times a week and we have a lot to learn. I am so thankful that He inclined my heart back to my family.

2009/2/4 19:15Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re:

"I am much afraid that schools will prove to be great gates of hell unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures, engraving them in the hearts of youth. I advise no one to place his child where the Scriptures do not reign paramount. Every institution in which men are not increasingly occupied with the Word of God must become corrupt."
-Martin Luther

This is also true of homes............that lack true Christian devotion to Christ and family worship.

May God lead us men to lead our homes in family devotion.

2009/2/4 22:39Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy