SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is Smoking a sin ????

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
moose34

Re: There is no condemnation

Wow ! So anything could and could not be a sin. Right?? Could be a good thing or a bad thing. Like reading books or buying cd's or dirt bikes or sports or having a favorite sports team. It makes sense. Because sometimes people get all into something that even thier clothes reflect the actual worship ( like Hip-Hop or Rock ) Is that right???

2009/2/1 17:55Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi moose34...

Have you considered I Corinthians 3:16-17?

Quote:

[b]KJV[/b]

[b]16[/b] Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
[b]17[/b] If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

[b]NIV[/b]

[b]16[/b] Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? [b]17[/b] If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

[b]NASB[/b]

[b]16[/b] Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
[b]17[/b] If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

Whereas it is difficult to argue that a natural beverage that ferments (such as wine) could harm the body (...and many studies point to the opposite), [u]EVERY[/u] study (outside of those “studies” conducted by the cigarette industry) has proven that smoking is a slow form of suicide. It causes cancer, emphysema, and a number of other diseases. It is an unnatural addiction. Smoking doesn’t sometimes cause problems. It ALWAYS causes problems. This may be the result of the slow buildup of chemicals in the lungs…but it is the destruction of the Temple of the Holy Spirit nonetheless. Not only that – but smoking kills those who are around the smoker. Researchers now believe that secondhand smoke has caused more disease than firsthand smoking! In other words, smokers have caused the disease and even deaths of those around them.

That being said: I know men who smoked. C. S. Lewis smoked a pipe. Other famous preachers smoked cigars. But this was before the link between smoking and the destruction of the body was scientifically confirmed.

You are going to get a lot of opinions in a place like this. Yet if I were you, I would certainly pray about whether or not you think that it is appropriate or becoming of a child of God to smoke. What is the reason a person would smoke? Can anything good come from it at all – other than a temporary feeling of relaxation…that could be enjoyed by intimacy with Christ?

I will be praying for you, brother.

:-)

2009/2/1 20:14Profile
djbeekeeper

Re: Is Smoking a sin ????

As a former smoker, I can tell you what the Holy Spirit used to convict me of the need to quit. It was 1 Corinthians 6:12
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Every time I lit a cigarette after the Holy Spirit prompted me with that Scripture, I realized I was enslaved to it. Smoking is not a "sin" per se, but it is bondage, and you can not experience the liberty of Christ, while you consent to remain in bondage. I hope that helps.

2009/2/1 21:20Profile
djbeekeeper

Re: Is Smoking a sin ????

As a former smoker, I can tell you what the Holy Spirit used to convict me of the need to quit. It was 1 Corinthians 6:12
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Every time I lit a cigarette after the Holy Spirit prompted me with that Scripture, I realized I was enslaved to it. Smoking is not a "sin" per se, but it is bondage, and you can not experience the liberty of Christ, while you consent to remain in bondage. I hope that helps.

2009/2/1 21:21Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Is smoking a sin... no, but destroying one's health and wasting one's finances might be.

Are cigarettes habit forming (addictive)... Yes.

Are they dangerous to one's health? Absolutely!

Are they expensive? Yep!

God has made you a STEWARD of your body and your belongings to use them to glorify God! Can anyone glorify God through the consumption, addiction, and waste cause by smoking cigarettes?

2009/2/1 23:17Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Is smoking a sin?

That depends. If one sincerely believes something to be either a legitimate detriment to his health, or finances, usefulness to others, or the honor of God whom he represents, then yes, it is.

The same is true of coffee, red meat, and anything else existing in material form. Suppose a man thinks an occasional steak maintains his health. He is then free to eat and be full, and thank the Lord with a good conscience for his meal. Contrarily, if that man eats five steaks a week at $25 a sitting, while being convinced this diet is harming both his body and his willingness to share generously with others - and yet goes on in the habit - then it is a sinful practice which must be stopped.

One may be surprised to learn that tobacco was considered by some in the 17th century to offer valuable medicinal benefits. Pipe smoking was recommended as an effective treatment for migraines, as noted in Daniel Defoe's classic, 'Robinson Crusoe.' Under these impressions such smokers were by no means guilty of sin. This is because believers have freedom in Christ to partake in every creature, provided doing so is not an impediment to Christian love. It is the mark of a heretic to forbid others to eat meats or to marry. [1 Tim. 4:3-5] We ought not to forbid smoking, per se, but to warn against any knowledgeable abuse of the physical body, which is unloving towards those we might have ministered to with our full strength.

Confronting the issue of chemical addictions and deeply set habits is overwhelming for many. They have tried so many methods without success, even praying and fasting at length, and resort to frightening themselves and making rash oaths. Fear of God's anger or the disapproval of others may hold one off for a time. But fear is a weak motive and often proves inferior to strong cravings.

The real problem lies in having insufficient motives for quitting negative habits. Until one's motive to stop exceeds the motive to continue, there will be no permanent resolve. What motive is capable of providing enough strength to abstain entirely from something one enjoys? Only a superior satisfaction in the benefits of abstaining from it.

In the case of harmful habits, one needs true conviction that his abstinence is for the best of God and others, rather than for himself. His unwillingness stems from a depravity of sincere brotherly love, which ought to be mourned for, but not despaired over. God is powerful to change hearts: on His resume is the creation of new and clean ones. Those who have repeatedly fought and fallen before temptation may place hope in the One who "renews a steadfast spirit within." [Psm 51:10] It is more love that is needed, and such love is a fruit of the Spirit [Gal 5]. He has power to produce that virtue in everyone who faithfully attends the means of grace.

In conclusion, habitual sin is conquered by superior desires to love God and others. This love cannot be urged from one's natural self, therefore must be supernaturally wrought by the Spirit in believers. This work was purchased by Christ, and is received by faith. As a Christian rests in Christ's righteousness to appropriate his sanctification, he receives a transformation of heart through the means of prayer and the Word.

I exhort every addict to find his superior satisfaction in loving God and men, and to draw nerve-calming peace from the promises of Christ, the [i]Stimulus Ultimum[/i].

My two cents. God bless you.

2009/2/2 0:12Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi theopenlife...

Quote:
That depends. If one sincerely believes something to be either a legitimate detriment to his health, or finances, usefulness to others, or the honor of God whom he represents, then yes, it is.

The same is true of coffee, red meat, and anything else existing in material form. If a man thinks an occasional steak maintains his health, then praise God. He may eat and be full, and thank the Lord with a good conscience. Contrarily, if he eats five steaks a week at $25 a sitting, while being convinced that this is harming both his body and his willingness to share generously with others - and yet goes on in the habit - then it is sinful habit which must be stopped.

Tobacco was considered by some in the 17th century to offer certain medicinal benefits. Pipe smoking was recommended as an effective treatment for migraines, as noted in Daniel Defoe's classic, Robinson Crusoe.

I understand what you're trying to say...but there is a world of difference between smoking cigarettes and eating red meat. The Scriptures are clear that red meat is fine...and science has proven that the protein provided by red meat...or wine...and even coffee in moderation. Yet there are NO scientific studies that sing the virtues of cigarettes. EVERY study describes such things as being harmful to human beings.

Smoking kills the body (or yourself and others). The Bible is pretty clear about a person who destroys his body. That is why I included the passage from I Corinthians chapter 3.

Of course, that, in itself, might not answer the initial question. Instead of comparing cigarettes with red meat or coffee, why not compare it with marijuana or heroin? Yet I have no idea if this is sinful enough to prohibit a person from going to Heaven. I do believe, however, that a smoker needs to stop. He is killing himself and those around him.

:-(

2009/2/2 0:30Profile
theopenlife

Re:

No, Chris, my friend, you are mistaken. What makes cigarettes [i]unhealthful[/i] is their chemical makeup. But what makes smoking sinful is [i]knowing it[/i].

If a man believes red meat is harmful and eats it, he sins whether or not it really is. If a man thinks his milk is poisonous and yet drinks it, he sins. But if a man unwittingly drinks poisoned milk, he has not sinned. If a man does anything with the assumption that he is seriously and needlessly endangering himself, he sins because he violates his conscience, not because the activity does or does not pose any actual dangers.

"EVERY study describes such things as being harmful to human beings."

You're right, but if one does not know or believe the studies, then they may not be [i]sinning[/i].

2009/2/2 0:51Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi theopenlife...

Yes, I think we are saying the same thing. The cigarettes are not sinful. They are just a bunch of ingredients added together by an industry intent on helping addicts feel a alteration to their body. This is no different than heroin...or marijuana...or even tylenol. The difference isn't that cigarettes alter the body...but that cigarettes are created with an effect that destroys the body (of both the user and the people around the user).

This is very different than red meat. Red meat is proven to have certain advantages when used in moderation. The same is true of wine...and even coffee.

I don't know if there is a smoker in the West who is unaware of the diseases caused by smoking. Yet the Word of God is clear that a man who destroys his temple (his body), then God will destroy such a man. Yes, this must be done with knowledge or intent, but it is the act of smoking (the question asked in the first post) that causes such destruction. Is it sinful for a man to smoke? Like I said before, I don't know that it is for every person. Like you pointed out, there might be a person who is unaware that it is wrong...just like there could possibly be a person who thinks that other drugs might not be sinful.

The point? This brother asked a question which is (sort of) answered by I Corinthians chapter 3.

2009/2/2 1:21Profile
moose34

Re:

Thanks guys! Man all those points of view are good. Smoking is also seen as a worldly thing, even if it is not a sin, would I preach on the street holding a cigarette??? No unbeliever ever convicted me for eating pies or hamburgers, But when they saw me smoke they always say " Hey! You're a christian and why do you smoke? " I am feeling convicted to quit so that I can be blameless like it says in the bible. Thanks for all your answers guys I truly appreciate it !!!

2009/2/2 4:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy