SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is Smoking a sin ????

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
moose34

Is Smoking a sin ????

I have thought about this for a long time. I really don't think that smoking is a sin. is it ?? I saw an orthodox jew smoking the other day and I thought hmmm if anyone knows the law its gotta be him. So I think smoking is not a sin what do you guys think?????

2009/2/1 13:11Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re: Is Smoking a sin ????

I think it falls in the catagory of 'all things are lawful but not all things are expedient'.

2009/2/1 13:33Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Quote:

moose34 wrote:
I have thought about this for a long time. I really don't think that smoking is a sin. is it ?? I saw an orthodox jew smoking the other day and I thought hmmm if anyone knows the law its gotta be him. So I think smoking is not a sin what do you guys think?????

You should know yourself if it a sin to smoke. Go into your heart and you'll find the answer your looking for.

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel After those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, And on their heart also will I write them: And I will be to them a God, And they shall be to me a people.

Know all you need to do is obey and that's the hard part.

2009/2/1 14:11Profile
moose34

Re:

Yes I feel that an occasional cigarette and occasional drink is ok. I don't think that making a habit of it is good. Like how it says drunkards shall not inherit the kingdom, But it sure would take a lot of drinking to make one a drunkard.

2009/2/1 14:28Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

moose34,

I think the more important question one must ask one's self, is whether or not they are seeking God with their whole heart. If you can honestly answer yes to that question, all others take care of themselves. If you are seeking Him with all your heart, He is able to let you know if there is something you are doing that is interfering with that pursuit. On the other hand if you are not seeking Him with all your heart, it is easy to get sidetracked by all the issues thinking it is a matter of getting all the issues right so you can then be pleasing to God.

There is really only one thing that is pleasing to God, that you seek Him with all your heart. Anything short of that is short of what He wants to do in and through a person's life. I have heard it referred to as 'majoring on the minor's and in so doing we 'minor on the major'.

One must settle that issue and make it a priority or it simply will not be. I have been guilty for years of putting God in the mix of all I was seeking. So I'm not just pointing fingers here. What I say I say from recent experience. There is no substitute if you want all of what God has for your life.

2009/2/1 15:30Profile
moose34

Re:

Awesome. So like being rich or having a big fancy house or new furniture or a brand new expensive flashy car? It kinda fits into that category right???? I kinda hear what you're saying basically anythig that gets in the way??

2009/2/1 16:14Profile
SethBlundell

Hey,

I hope this verse helps: Rom 14:5-6

One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.

2009/2/1 16:40Profile
MJones

Missouri

Re:

Quote:

moose34 wrote:
Awesome. So like being rich or having a big fancy house or new furniture or a brand new expensive flashy car? It kinda fits into that category right???? I kinda hear what you're saying basically anythig that gets in the way??

[b][color=000099]Anything - [/color][/b] good or bad.

2009/2/1 16:58Profile

Re:

Smoking would be a sin if it's idolatry-cigarette-worship, a fetish, and the WAY, the ANSWER that we use. He is the only way, truth, and life.

I mean, if a sodomite (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, masturbator) just did it one time WITH the plan of continuing it (committing it proudly), would we have the same compassion? No, we wouldn't. We would call that person a heathen.

For instance, using a practical example of friends, this is similar to the relationships between two friends or boy/girl relations. Just like with having a "best" friend or something "best", that friend becomes an idolatry. My sin with all the different people is that the "best" was actually an idol, a god that I had created, the PRIDE of life. It's being a respecter of persons (sin) or committing favoritism.

What commandment is broken here with committed smoking?

Exodus 20:3
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

2009/2/1 17:03
DoulosQuinn

Re: There is no condemnation

The Law is righteous but will just show you that you are messed up and can't help yourself. Satan desires to trap people in the mode where that are convinced of what is best...but settle for something less...it effects a clear conscience which is further used to manipulate compromise.

We love HIM because HE first loved us right? GOD desires a cheerful giver right? EVERY good and perfect give comes from GOD right?

I see in these verses and more that the life in Christ, has Christ as the sole source. The Law was just a way to communicate and convince us our need of what (before the foundations of the universe) GOD had planned to achieve the goal of giving a gift to The SON, creatures that were able to see and worship HIM in truth.

As for smoking, drinking, gluttony, or any drive on our part to seek to find comfort in the flesh (for a season)when there is a HOLY dissatisfaction that can not be met by anything in this world (food, wealth, drugs, knowledge, sex, ANYTHING). There is no condemnation. HE knows our weakness...yet in the midst of these little battles for truth...HE is reaching to turn your eyes to HIMSELF, HIS life, and surrender...and the enemy is seeking to turn your eyes to disbelief, discouragement, and surrender.

Brokenness is more painful then condemnation...and condemnation is not what you think it is, or even feel it might be. Don't settle for less, even if it hurts.

HE who began a good work in you will not fail...no matter the choices we make, what we sow, anything according to the will of man. Cling to HIS love, pursue it. Sin will abound...but grace abounds greater to help us turn around, HE died for us while we were yet HIS enemies! From faith to faith, strength to strength, glory to glory, is HIS victory not ours.

2009/2/1 17:30Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy