SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : early church fathers on lost of salvation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
theopenlife

Re:

I think many people operate theologically on the principle, "better safe than sorry." Not entirely sure of the issue, these wisely steer far and clear of paths that tend towards apostasy. Meanwhile, such individuals also commonly maintain that, for themselves, if ever they are to be saved it will be by the sheer grace of God and not some personal determination originating in themselves. If asked, "did God save you decisively because you obeyed more and were more faithful than the one who apostatized?" they would retort, "No! He saved me for Christ's sake, by His grace!"

I am convinced that this group has simply not seen the promises which are granted in scripture to those who have truly believed on Christ: that they have already received forgiveness for all sins, past and future, and will also receive supplies of the Spirit which will make them willing to grow in faith and holiness for the rest of their lives."

Titus 3:5-7 "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, [how?] by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life."

If you have been regenerated, then you are justified of all sins. Furthermore, you are heirs, not bastards, and your adoption was determined from before the foundation of the world.

Eph. 1:4-8
"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace."

Eph 2:8 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

It is grace that determined salvation; it is grace that provided the gift of faith through which salvation is received; it shall be grace by which one is saved. It is never by works decisively our own, therefore no truly regenerate person shall be lost.

What does this mean for us? Have faith in Christ and make your calling and election sure, even working it out with fear and trembling lest we should discover in the end that we have trusted in our future obedience and not in future grace to make us willing.

Jer. 32:40 "I will make an [b]everlasting[/b] covenant with them, that I [b]will not[/b] turn away from them, to do them good; but [b]I will put my fear in their hearts[/b], that they [b]shall not depart from me[/b]."

God is sovereign over the nature of creatures, and it is out of this nature that the will determines actions.

Blessings.

2009/2/1 22:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy