Confession of sin is necessary for fellowship with God and revival among God's people.
One of the problems we face as Christians is that many people do not look on sin as being very bad. Seeing it as high treason has revolutionized my thinking. Ezekiel 39:23 (NAS). In other words, when a Christian is Christ-controlled, Christ is on the throne of his life. Ego-self is dethroned. When the slightest sin is committed: a thought, word, deed or attitude, Christ is dethroned and ego-self is enthroned. That is treason! It is self usurping the throne from Christ. Because He is King of kings and Lord of lords, it is high treason.
Perhaps this is one reason James could say. "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." (James 2:10). It is not so much the sin that is bad, but the very nature of sin itself. It is high treason.
Prayerfully, consider the following questions. Go through these questions one by one. Answer truthfully each question. Every yes answer means sin in your life.
In reading these questions, as you are convicted of sin, confess it at once to God. Be willing to make it right
then you can claim cleansing and forgiveness. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness".
(1 John 1:9).
Be sure to name your sin to God, as
"Lord, I have not put Thee first in my plans," or "I have neglected Thy work and prayer." Do not make the least excuse for sin of any kind in your life. "He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whosoever confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy." (Proverbs 28:13).
No matter what others do, or not do, Christian, leave nothing undone on your part. God wants to work through you to bring about a great spiritual awakening. He can begin by your fulfilling every requirement shown by the Lord through the Holy Spirit and His Word. A revival from the presence of the Lord begins today, if you desire it. (Read the scriptures first. Ask the question. Give a truthful answer
"yes" or "no"). Do not go to the next question until you have settled the one at hand. This is not just to be read, but prayed through.
(1) Matthew 6:12-14
[i] And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.[/i]
● Is there anyone against whom you hold a grudge?
● Anyone you have not forgiven?
● Anyone you hate?
● Anyone you do not love?
● Are there any misunderstandings that you are unwilling to forget?
● Is there any person against whom you are harboring bitterness, resentment, or jealousy?
● Anyone you dislike to hear praised or well spoken of?
● Do you allow anything to justify a wrong attitude toward another?
(2) Matthew 6:33
[i]But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.[/i]
● Is there anything in which you have failed to put God first?
● Have your decisions been made after your own wisdom and desires, rather than by seeking and following Gods will?
● Do any of the following in any way interfere with your surrender and service to God: ambition, pleasures, loved ones, friendships, desire for recognition, money, your own plans?
(3) Mark 16:15
[i]And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.[/i]
● Have you failed to seek the lost for Christ; Have you failed to witness consistently with your mouth for the Lord Jesus Christ?
● Has your life not shown to the lost the Lord Jesus?
(4) John 13:35
[i]By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.[/i]
● Are you secretly pleased over the misfortunes of others?
● Are you secretly annoyed over the accomplishments or advancements of another?
● Are you guilty of any contention or strife?
● Do you quarrel, argue, or engage in heated discussions?
● Are you a partaker in any division, or party spirit?
● Are there people whom you deliberately slight?
(5) Acts 20:35
[i]I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.[/i]
● Have you robbed God by withholding His due of time, talents and money?
● Have you given less than a tenth of your income for Gods work?
● Have you failed to support mission work either in prayer or in offerings?
(6) 1 Corinthians 4:2
[i]Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.[/i]
● Are you undependable so that you cannot be trusted with responsibilities in the Lords work?
● Are you allowing your emotions to be stirred for the things of the Lord but doing nothing about it?
(7) 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
[i]What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are Gods.[/i]
● Are you in any way careless with your body?
● Do you fail to care for it as the temple of the Holy Spirit?
● Are you guilty of intemperance in eating or drinking?
● Do you have any habits which are defiling to the body?
(8) 1 Corinthians 10:31
[i]Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.[/i]
● Do you take the slightest credit for anything good about you, rather than give all the glory to God?
● Do you talk of what you have done rather than of what Christ has done?
● Are your statements mostly about "I?" Are your feelings easily hurt?
● Have you made a pretense of being something that you are not?
(9) Ephesians 3:20
[i]Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us.[/i]
● Are you self-conscious rather than Christ-conscious?
● Do you allow feelings of inferiority to keep you from attempting things you should in service for God?
(10) Ephesians 4:28
[i]Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.[/i]
● Do you underpay?
● Do you do very little in your work?
● Have you been careless in the payment of your debts?
● Have you sought to evade payment of your debts? ● Do you waste time?
● Do you waste time for others?
(11) Ephesians 4:31
[i] Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice.[/i]
● Do you complain?
● Do you find fault?
● Do you have a critical attitude towards any person or anything?
● Are you irritable or cranky?
● Do you ever carry hidden anger?
● Do you get angry?
● Do you become impatient with others?
● Are you ever harsh or unkind?
(12) Ephesians 5:16
[i]Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.[/i]
● Do you listen to unedifying radio or television programs?
● Do you read unworthy magazines?
● Do you partake in worldly amusements?
● Do you find it necessary to seek satisfaction from any questionable source?
● Are you doing certain things that show that you are not satisfied in the Lord Jesus Christ?
(13) Ephesians 5:20
[i]Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.[/i]
● Have you neglected to thank Him for all things, the seemingly bad as well as the good? Have you virtually called God a liar by doubting His Word?
● Do you worry? Is your spiritual temperature based on your feelings instead of on the facts of Gods Word?
(14) Phillipians 1:21
[i]For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.[/i]
● Are you taken up with the cares of this life?
● Is your conversation or heart joyful over things rather than the Lord and His Word?
● Does anything mean more to you than living for and pleasing God?
(15) Phillipians 2:l4
[i]Do all things without murmurings and disputings.[/i]
● Do you ever by word or deed seek to hurt someone?
● Do you gossip?
● Do you speak unkindly concerning people when they are not present?
● Do you carry prejudice against true Christians because they are of some different group than yours, or because they do not see everything exactly like you?
(16) Phillipians 4:4
[i]Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.[/i]
● Have you neglected to seek to be pleasing to Him in all things?
● Do you carry any bitterness toward God?
● Have you complained against Him in any way?
● Have you been dissatisfied with His provision for you?
● Is there in your heart any unwillingness to obey God fully?
● Do you have any reservations as to what you would or would not do concerning anything that might be His Will?
● Have you disobeyed some direct leading from Him?
(17) Col. 3:9
[i]Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds.[/i]
● Do you engage in empty and unprofitable conversation?
● Do you ever lie?
● Do you ever exaggerate? Cheat? Steal?
● Carefully consider
do you overcharge?
(18) 2 Timothy 2:22
[i]Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.[/i]
● Do you have any personal habits that are not pure?
● Do you allow impure thoughts about the opposite sex to stay in your mind?
● Do you read that which is impure or suggests unholy things?
● Do you indulge in any unclean entertainment?
● Are you guilty of the lustful look?
(19) Hebrews 10:25
[i] 25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.[/i]
● Do you stay away from the meetings of preaching the gospel?
● Do you whisper or think about other things while Gods Word is being read or preached?
● Are you irregular in attendance at services?
● Do you neglect to attend or participate in meetings for prayer?
● Have you neglected or slighted daily or private prayer?
● Have you neglected Gods Word?
● Do you find the Bible and prayer uninteresting?
● Have you neglected thanksgiving at meals?
● Have you neglected daily family devotions
(20) Hebrews 3:17
[i]But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?[/i]
● Do you hesitate to submit to leaders in the church or elsewhere?
● Are you lazy?
● Do you rebel at requests given to you to help the work of the gospel?
● Do you in any way have a stubborn or unteachable spirit?
(21) James 1:27
[i]Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.[/i]
● Have you allowed yourself to become "spotted" by the world?
● Is your manner of dress pleasing to God?
● Do you spend beyond what is pleasing to God on anything?
● Do you neglect to pray about things you buy?
(22) James 4:6
[i]But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.[/i]
● Do you feel that you are doing quite well as a Christian?
● That you are not so bad?
● That you are good enough?
● Are you stubborn?
● Do you insist on having your own way?
● Do you insist on your rights?
(23) James 4:11
[i]Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.[/i]
● Have you dishonored Him and hindered His work by criticizing His servants?
● Have you failed to pray regularly for your pastor or other spiritual leaders?
● Do you find it hard to be corrected?
● Are you more concerned about what people will think than what will be pleasing to God?
If you have been honest and true in the matter of admitting your sins, then you are ready for Gods cleansing. Sins that are admitted, are sins that are confessed. Remember these three things:
1. If the sin is against God, confess it to God, and make things right with God.
2. If the sin is against another person, confess it to God, and make the sin right with the other one.
3. If the sin is against a group, confess it to God, and make it right with the group.
If there is full confession, there will he full cleansing. Then the joy of the Lord will follow. There can be testimony and prayer in the power
of the Holy Spirit. Revival will follow.
Psalm 19:12 "Who can understand his errors? Cleanse thou me from secret faults."