SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Letter to a Lonely Saint

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
theopenlife

Letter to a Lonely Saint

I wrote this letter to a lonely brother. By God's grace, may it be an encouragement to you.

-----

Brother, my spirit empathizes with your thirst for that like-minded fellowship so often illusive on a local level. For the past two years my friendships have, for the most part, been carried on by phone and the internet. I have only one or two brothers nearby with whom I have very sweet fellowship, but even these visits are somewhat sporadic. With this in mind I am making plans, Lord willing, to relocate to where my dearest friend lives.

Every soldier of the cross needs dedicated crusaders marching beside him along the upward calling. Paul told Timothy to "follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart." [2 Tim 2:22] Progress is especially hard for pilgrims whose companions keep halting to look back. Thomas Watson noted three things essential to growth in holiness: faith in Christ's sufficient blood, earnest prayer, and holy company.

In the midnight hours when you feel most disconsolate and solitary, make your way to the garden and find Christ weeping by Himself. There he is forsaken, a man acquainted with sorrows even unto death. He is not embarrassed that you have come, for His invitation stands, "tarry ye here, and watch with me." Do as He says, kneel beside the Savior and listen as He prays for all of His disciples,

"Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me." [John 17]

Lonesome hours serve as gracious reminders of that forlorn night when Christ invited men to keep Him company. What did He want us to hear? The request of the Son in Gethsemane was that His saints should have everlasting communion with the Trinity. He who prays with perfect faith according to God's will receives all He asks. Out of that loneliest of times came the promise of an eternity when all believers shall be gathered and glorified in one.

May the Lord cause your name to enter my heart when I pray, that He will soon provide you with richer fellowship, as He wills.

Your friend and fellow wayfarer, Michael Spotts:.

------------

Please pray for this brother, and thank God that Christ prayed for you.

2009/1/27 4:50Profile
KathleenP

Maine

Re: Letter to a Lonely Saint

Very good post Brother. There are few here as well, and we seem opposed often even by Satan himself when we attempt to have sincere moments of fellowship out in the wilderness places.

The despair felt at times is difficult and confusing when other Christians are laughing and enjoying the rudiments of this world and your trials cast upon you create a greater wedge. I have often been reminded of the Lord of His own cup that he drank. Chapter 53 of Isaiah is a difficult passage to read, not just to the Jews, but to his saints as well.

We are to share in these afflictions with joy, knowing His very marks are upon us. Praise God he gives witness of that! If not for His Word, I know I would fail.

To thos as well that stand in the place of sorrow and isolation, know you are in good company and may we rest in the Saviour as we bid others to come and dine.

Kathleen

2009/1/27 5:12Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Thank you for your thoughts, Kathleen.

2009/1/27 17:05Profile
theopenlife

Re:

By the way, you said, "The despair felt at times is difficult and confusing when other Christians are laughing and enjoying the rudiments of this world and your trials cast upon you create a greater wedge."

I can identify very much with that.

2009/1/27 17:26Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
The despair felt at times is difficult and confusing when other Christians are laughing and enjoying the rudiments of this world and your trials cast upon you create a greater wedge.

This precise thing has driven me to the deepest melancholy I have known. It is so hard to battle, and not covet what the others have.

The subtle question, "Lord, why not me?" Has come much more often than I'd like to admit, and yes I am aware that it is not right. Yet so often I am reminded of this passage-
Psalm 16:5 The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.
Psalm 16:6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

Then for a moment, I settle and realize He is in control, He knows, and He is working all for His glory and my good.

2009/1/27 18:15Profile
HeartSong

Re:

He more than makes up for any earthly sorrow that we might experience.

Quote:
This precise thing has driven me to the deepest melancholy I have known. It is so hard to battle, and not covet what the others have.

But they have nothing - nothing that will last. We have the arms of Love Eternal. We need but turn to Him to find more delight than we could ever dream of - but first we must let go of these other things. They are but an illusion!

2009/1/28 1:47Profile

Re: Letter to a Lonely Saint

Quote:

theopenlife wrote:
I wrote this letter to a lonely brother. By God's grace, may it be an encouragement to you.

-----

Brother, my spirit empathizes with your thirst for that like-minded fellowship so often illusive on a local level. For the past two years my friendships have, for the most part, been carried on by phone and the internet. I have only one or two brothers nearby with whom I have very sweet fellowship, but even these visits are somewhat sporadic. With this in mind I am making plans, Lord willing, to relocate to where my dearest friend lives.

Every soldier of the cross needs dedicated crusaders marching beside him along the upward calling. Paul told Timothy to "follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart." [2 Tim 2:22] Progress is especially hard for pilgrims whose companions keep halting to look back. Thomas Watson noted three things essential to growth in holiness: faith in Christ's sufficient blood, earnest prayer, and holy company.

In the midnight hours when you feel most disconsolate and solitary, make your way to the garden and find Christ weeping by Himself. There he is forsaken, a man acquainted with sorrows even unto death. He is not embarrassed that you have come, for His invitation stands, "tarry ye here, and watch with me." Do as He says, kneel beside the Savior and listen as He prays for all of His disciples,

"Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me." [John 17]

Lonesome hours serve as gracious reminders of that forlorn night when Christ invited men to keep Him company. What did He want us to hear? The request of the Son in Gethsemane was that His saints should have everlasting communion with the Trinity. He who prays with perfect faith according to God's will receives all He asks. Out of that loneliest of times came the promise of an eternity when all believers shall be gathered and glorified in one.

May the Lord cause your name to enter my heart when I pray, that He will soon provide you with richer fellowship, as He wills.

Your friend and fellow wayfarer, Michael Spotts:.

------------

Please pray for this brother, and thank God that Christ prayed for you.

Thanks for posting this...It has truly been a blessing to my heart and feel it is from the heart of the Father. God has lead me this past few days to read through those scriptures you have listed. Though it seems that my life now seems to tarry much, how I rejoice in His faithfulness to me.

You mention [i][b]"He who prays with perfect faith according to God's will receives all He asks. "[/b][/i] My mind immediately went to Mark 11:22 "Have faith in God." and in verse 24 "Therefore, I say unto you, what things soever ye desire, then ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them."

Brother thanks for posting this, it has truly refreshed my spirit. I truly experienced the sharpening of iron! SI lately has been my church until the Lord leads me to a fellowship. I have been feed and challenged much. Thanks for those who have endured with me.

Your friend and brother
Mike

2009/1/28 6:22

Re:

Quote:

theopenlife wrote:
By the way, you said, "The despair felt at times is difficult and confusing when other Christians are laughing and enjoying the rudiments of this world and your trials cast upon you create a greater wedge."

I can identify very much with that.

I can identify myself...when others seem to be going happily along in there walk and they see you travail with despair in the wilderness. they often, with good intentions try to dissect your life and see what you are "doing wrong". I have found many do not understand this season, and tend to stay away from you.

2009/1/28 6:27
HeartSong

Re:

If you would but only praise Him, the loneliness will depart. Please, someone remind me of this when I am down!

2009/1/28 12:53Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Let us know when you're down!

2009/1/28 22:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy