SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : THE NEW COVENANT

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
sscr01

Re:

If you love Him, you will keep His commandments.

2009/1/28 13:40Profile

Re:

sscr01,

Ok. So now I know that you are little older than me, so I will try to give you the respect that you deserve (sincerely...)

Actually, I agree with much of what you are saying concerning the moral law. The 10 commandments are not suggestions. They are not requests. They are commandments, and God requires perfect obedience to His Holy Law. I absolutely agree.

I also agree that if we love Him, we will obey Him. I also agree that we should serve God with a pure conscience.

But....

Can the Law itself give us the power to obey?
Can the Law itself cause us to love God?
Can the Law itself cleanse our conscience and give us a pure conscience before God?

It seems that you are well read, so I am sure that you have read Romans and Galatians and Hebrews, where the writer(s) (in so many words) argues that The Law, while it is Good and Holy and Just, cannot give Life or Power.

"What the law could not do in that it was weak through (or because of) the flesh, GOD DID, in sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh. So that THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE LAW might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit."

The simple definition of Covenant is "agreement" and I agree with you that in a Covenant, both parties have obligations to that Covenant and both parties' fate are tied to whether or not they keep up their part of the agreement.

In the Old Covenant (a Covenant of Works) the agreement was simply this: "Do this (obey) and you shall live" If you do not do this (disobey) then you shall die"

Isn't that what God said to Adam...to Israel as a nation?

Please name me one person (man, woman, or child) that ever lived that has kept all of the Commands of God?
This is Paul's argument in the first 3 chapters of Romans..."All of sinned (both Jew and Gentile) and fallen short of the Glory of God"

Actually, I can name you One Person that did keep all of God's commands. One person that perfectly obeyed the Holy, Good and Just Law of God. One person with whom the Father is well pleased!

Jesus Christ the Righteous. The Messiah. The Anointed One. The Chosen One. The Son of David. The Son of Abraham. The Holy One of Israel.

He kept all of the obligations and requirements for man in the Old Covenant. And all those that are IN HIM...are blessed because of HIS OBEDIENCE.

The law cannot give life. The law (before we are converted) has one purpose, and that is to drive us to Christ...to push us...to whip us and make our lives miserable and convince us that we are wretched, blind, and naked, so that we fall upon the ONE who loves us. The ONE, by HIS, obedience has made us children of GOD and HE is not ashamed to call us brothers.

Sincerely, I pray that you allow the law of God to drive you to Christ, so that you may find your rest IN HIM.

Sincerely,

Michael

2009/1/28 14:57
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re:

Quote:

sscr01 wrote:
If you love Him, you will keep His commandments.

Please, tell me that's not all you have to say?

[sigh] The New Covenant is actually a topic that interests me and I was hoping to have some honest and intelligent discourse on the topic. Not today, huh?!! :-(

Well, brother, I pray you receive the love of the truth of the New Covenant if you are truly filled with His Holy Spirit as you say are.

2009/1/28 15:46Profile
sscr01

Re:

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangeably with, "law," "commandments," "judgments," "statutes," "precepts," "testimonies."

HIS WORD IS HIS LAW

As I have stated, ""A NEW HEART also will I give you, and A NEW SPIRIT will I put within you...AND I WILL PUT MY SPIRIT WITHIN YOU, and CAUSE you to walk in My Statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments and do them." Ezek 36:26,27

If we walk in His Spirit, His Spirit empowers us to obey His Word/His law. There is no excuse for not keeping His law. If you do not obey His Word, you are lawless. Jesus said, in Mt 7:21-23, that, the lawless would not enter into His kingdom.

The, only, law that was fulfilled was the law of Moses - the Ceremonial law, which pointed to the sacrifice of Jesus and was nailed to the cross.

Jesus said, "He that rejecteth Me and receiveth not My Words, hath one that judgeth him: THE WORD THAT I HAVE SPOKEN, THE SAME SHALL JUDGE HIM IN THE LAST DAY." John 12:48

The Apostle Paul wrote, "For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: AND AS MANY AS HAVE SINNED IN THE LAW SHALL BE JUDGED BY THE LAW; for not the hearers of the law are just before God, BUT THE DOERS OF THE LAW SHALL BE JUSTIFIED." Rom 2:12,13.

His Word/His law will judge each one of us on the day of judgment.

"But be ye DOERS of the Word, and not hearers, only, DECEIVING your own selves." Ja 1:22.

2009/1/28 15:48Profile
sscr01

Re:

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15

Jesus said, "He that hath My commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him." John 14:21.

"And this is love that we walk after His commandments." 2 John 6

His church keeps His commandments: "And the Dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Rev 12:17

His saints keep His commandments: "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." Rev 14:12.

Jesus said, "Not every one that SAITH, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that DOETH the will of My Father, which is in heaven.

MANY will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity. (LAWLESSNESS) Mt 7:21-23

"And hereby we do know that we know Him, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. He that saith, I KNOW HIM and keepeth not His commandments is a LIAR and the Truth is not in him: but whoso keepeth His Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby we do know that we are in Him." 1 John 2:3-5.

The Scripture makes it plain, keep His commandments.

2009/1/28 15:59Profile
sscr01

Re:

Do you love Him?

Keep His commandments.

2009/1/28 17:49Profile

Re:

Apart from the power of the Gospel at work in my life....no I do not love Him. I cannot love Him, for I am wicked apart from the Gospel.

2009/1/28 18:23

Re:

edit..

2009/1/28 18:23

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy