SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : THE NEW COVENANT

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

2009/1/25 12:21Profile
sscr01

Re:

We, certainly, cannot trust in the emotions of our own hearts to determine what loving God and others is:

"LET NOT THINE HEART DECLINE TO HER WAYS, GO NOT ASTRAY IN HER PATHS. For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.

HER HOUSE IS THE WAY TO HELL, going down to the chambers of death." Pro 7:25-27

Even in the second commandment, He says, "and showing mercy unto thousands of them that love Me, and keep My commandments."

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15

When you keep the first four, you demonstrate love for God. When you keep the last six, you demonstrate love for others.

When Jesus gave us the "Two Greatest Commandments," He was quoting THE LAW. Deut 6:5; Lev 19:18

"Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked Him a question, tempting Him, and saying.

Master, which is the great commandment IN THE LAW?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. Deut 6:5

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these TWO COMMANDMENTS hang all the law and the prophets." Mt 22:35-40.

Commandments and not requests.

2009/1/25 12:32Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re:

sscr01,

The new covenant does NOT do away with all the Scriptures you have listed! It seems as if you think they did??

no one in the Old Testament had the "inner" ability to keep the commandments. Christ said that I have to go that the Comforter may come (paraphrased by me).

[i]Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.[/i]
John 13.17

Finally, the ability to change from the inside out!! This is the New Covenant!! Many downplay the role of the Holy Spirit in the church today but the Holy Spirit is NOT the pentecostal church!! Fear not!! None of us, no not one, will be able to keep any commandment without the power of the Holy Spirit. None of us will ever be able to overcome temptation with the power of the Holy Spirit!! To me, this is the New Covenant!!

The most thorough explanation and down to earth understanding that I've heard is by Zac Poonen's [url=http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/topical_bible_study.php]Topical Bible Studies[/url]. Look for ANYTHING with New Covenant or covenant in the title.

It may not be what you think at all and it may bless you!
[edited for grammar check!]

2009/1/28 5:36Profile
sscr01

Re:

Are you saying, that, we don't have to obey His commandments? You can bow down and worship other gods, take His name in vain, profane His holy day, dishonor your parents, murder, commit adultery, steal bear false witness, covet and walk with a holy God? That would be blasphemous!

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangeably with, "law," "commandments," "precepts," "statutes," "judgments," "testimonies."

HIS WORD = HIS LAW

"A NEW HEART also will I give you, and A NEW SPIRIT will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

AND I WILL PUT MY SPIRIT WITHIN YOU, and CAUSE YOU to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments and do them." Ezek 36:26,27.

When His Spirit is within us, we are empowered by His Spirit to obey His Word/His law.

The preincarnate Jesus visited the children of Israel and they had the Holy Spirit, too!

They were empowered to keep the commandments, just like we are.

"But be ye DOERS of the Word, and not hearers, only, DECEIVING your own selves." Ja 1:22

2009/1/28 7:08Profile

Re:

SScro1

I am not sure how long you have walked with God, nor do I know how old you are. But, if you are truly converted then eventually (I am confident) that you will get to a place where the difference between the Old and New Covenants is as simple as this:

Old Covenant - "Do this and you shall live..."
New Covenant - "He that has the Son, has life..."

Michael

2009/1/28 10:32
sscr01

Re:

I was born again and baptized in the Holy Spirit forty years ago.

James 2:10,11 tells us, that, if we break any of His commandments, we are transgressors of the law and are guilty of breaking all of them.

If you do not obey His Word/His law you are lawless and according to Jesus will not enter into His kingdom. Mt 7:21-23.

The Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy,"I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with PURE CONSCIENCE..." 2 Tim 1:3

I serve Him with a pure conscience and trust the Holy Spirit to reveal anything to me that is contrary. Then, I will repent and be changed into His image.

Jesus said, "He that hath My commandments and keepeth them, HE IT IS THAT LOVETH ME: and he that loveth Me SHALL BE LOVED OF MY FATHER, and I WILL LOVE HIM, and will manifest Myself to him." John 14:21.

If you love Him, you will obey His commandments.

At the very end of the Book of all books, the Apostle John wrote, "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.

Seems, pretty simple to me.

2009/1/28 11:17Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
New Covenant - "He that has the Son, has life..."

It is interesting to me how the true Character of Christ manifests in a person. When Steven was full of the Holy Ghost he was able to love with compassion even in the face of extreme brutality. It was not a hypocritical love, but a genuine love that sought to speak the truth but at the same time loved to the very end.

The great evidence that he was full of the Spirit was in how he responded in the clutch. Here is a man that was utterly on fire for God. His response was the same as Christ- "Lord lay not the sin to their charge." What a powerful testimony! Where are the repentance preachers today begging God not to lay sin to the persecutors charge? Where are those that show a tender love even to the death? That is the difference, I think between the Old and the New Testament. The Old Covenant cannot take a person to where Steven was.

2009/1/28 11:21Profile
sscr01

Re:

Do you obey His COMMANDMENTS?

Do not bow down and worship other gods, take His name in vain, profane His holy day, dishonor your parents, murder, commit adultery, steal, bear false witness, covet?

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments."

THEY ARE COMMANDMENTS - NOT REQUESTS.

"But be ye DOERS of the Word, and not hearers, only, DECEIVING your own selves." Ja 1:22

2009/1/28 11:27Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re:

Quote:

sscr01 wrote:
Are you saying, that, we don't have to obey His commandments? You can bow down and worship other gods, take His name in vain, profane His holy day, dishonor your parents, murder, commit adultery, steal bear false witness, covet and walk with a holy God? That would be blasphemous!

Did you even read anything I wrote? Then how can you even ask if I said we don't have to obey His commandments. I don't think you did read it or you read it through your argument's eyes.

Forgive me but it seems that you are trying to argue with people who don't want to argue with you. You never made one comment about what part the Holy Spirit plays in the New Covenant or don't you even believe in the New Covenant?

Let me rephrase my first statement and question: [i]The new covenant does NOT do away with all the Scriptures you have listed! It seems as if you think they did??[/i]

Rephrased: Do you think that the New Covenant has done away with keeping God's commandments? If so, who told you this and why do you think this?

2009/1/28 11:31Profile
Lysa

East TN (for now)

Re:

Quote:

sscr01 wrote:
Do you obey His COMMANDMENTS?

Do not bow down and worship other gods, take His name in vain, profane His holy day, dishonor your parents, murder, commit adultery, steal, bear false witness, covet?

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments."

THEY ARE COMMANDMENTS - NOT REQUESTS.

All the above are outward signs, nowhere does the Old Covenant allow for an inward change. It was all outward obedience.

Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' [i][outward obedience][/i] But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." [i][inward change and obedience][/i]
Matthew 5.27-28

To quote you: [i]This is a commandment - not a request.[/i] How are you at keeping THIS particular commandment? If you have ever failed to obey this, are you doomed for hell?

[edit] [i]Let me add a new question. How does the strict adhesion to the commandments (as you are putting forth), how does this help you if and when you fail at keeping the commandments?[/i]

It doesn't. The New Covenant doesn't take away us needing to keep the commandments but NOW we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous!! The Old Covenant never had an advocate. With the power of the Holy Spirit indwelling in us and our Advocate sitting at the right hand of the Father.... this is the New Covenant.

[edited church question out]

2009/1/28 11:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy