SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Should the Church Teach Tithing? A Theologian's Conclusions about a Taboo Doctrine

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
vineyardlww

Should the Church Teach Tithing? A Theologian's Conclusions about a Taboo Doctrine

A Theologian's Conclusions about a Taboo Doctrine, originally a Ph.D. dissertation, by Russell Earl Kelly. While Dr. Kelly is fully supportive of New Covenant principles of church and mission support, he believes that true biblical tithing cannot be supported by sound New Covenant principles. He also believes that tithing locks churches into using legalistic principles which rob them of receiving the greater blessings obtained when principles of grace and faith are used. This "Facts-And-Questions" (FAQ) list discusses many of the common concerns people often voice about the subject and each question is responded to with sound, hermeneutical logic and Scripture. Your questions and comments are welcome. Please see Russell's website at www.tithing-russkelly.com or contact Russell directly at russell-kelly@att.net.

2009/1/21 16:29Profile
graceamazed

Tennessee

Re: Should the Church Teach Tithing? A Theologian's Conclusions about a Taboo Do

Thanks for the link to Dr. Kelly's website. I looked over a good bit of it, but would like to take more time to check it out later. It's been a slow transition for me, but over the past several years I have grown less and less convinced of the evangelical emphasis on the doctrine of the tithe. I no longer believe that it is intended to be set forward as the standard for financial commitment in the New Testament. We do not hear Paul in any of his addresses concerning giving refer to the tithe as a standard or even a starting point.

This is the statement on Dr. Kelly's website that I really liked: "Although there is no set percentage for Christians to give, all should give sacrificially or [b]lower your standards of living in order to further the reach of the Gospel."[/b]

2009/1/21 22:56Profile
ANewInHim

Re: Should the Church Teach Tithing? A Theologian's Conclusions about a Taboo Doctrine

It would be wise for you to first look at the order of Melchizideck and when doing so, your search of Russells website, by the way not interested, I would follow up with First Fruits, this should and will give you a better understanding of the Tithe, and how through obedience being much better than sac rife will bring about unity and blessings. God first!

Did I spell this correctly?

2009/1/22 9:52Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Should the Church Teach Tithing? A Theologian's Conclusions about a Taboo Do

My two cents: A Church can certainly teach a particular perspective on such issues, but I would hesitate to teach them as undeniable doctrines of the Church that must be obeyed...or else!

I actually embrace the concept of tithing. Why? There are several reasons...but I don't have time to list them here (nor do I suppose that this is the rationale for this thread). Yet I would not point the finger of judgment at those who do tithe...or don't tithe. I do not think that a Church should base membership or judge the spiritual condition of a man based on whether he gives 10% of his income or not.

When it comes down to it, none of us tithe in the strict, Old Testament sense of the word. Tithing wasn't limited to monetary income. It encompassed farm products, gifts, crafts, etc... Last I checked, I didn't know of a single person who brought a tenth of their apples...oranges...or puppies to the "house of God." Of course, the "tithe" wasn't used in Biblical days for what it is used today (to pay for the buildings, equipment, utilities and salaries of our modern Church institutions).

I guess it would be better to reword the discussion. Should a Church establish a requirement like tithing? Should a Church establish such "required" doctrinal principles toward those who wish to be a part of a local congregation?

If something isn't entirely clear from Scriptures...for New Testament believers...and there are rational reasons by which a believer holds to a belief...should such a believer be barred from entering open fellowship with a local congregation? I have been to congregations that would kick out people for the most ridiculous of things!

:-o

2009/1/22 11:06Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy