SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Fireproof: Best Married Life Now?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re:

I dont agree with Savannah because she is throwing a blanket over everything... and you cant do that.

If God does in fact use art and media to speak His Word to people, and a Christian calls it of the devil, that is one definition of blasphemy.

I'd be real careful if I was you.

It is also a diatribe about things which Savannah has not investigated for herself. Thats called ignorance.

Not trying to pick a fight, just getting tired of the self righteous declarations calling everything under the Son to be evil. It's not true, and doesnt help any.

Krispy

2009/2/13 11:17

Re: Fireproof in South Korea

Well... my darling wife and I received Fireproof in the mail yesterday. We were going to wait until Valentine's Day (today) to watch it, however, God had a different plan.

Last night, my wife and I got into an argument about something and it escalated into a blazing fire. In my bad habit of flight rather than fight, I told my wife to get out of the car, thus leaving her behind.

Within a few moments, actually during the whole ordeal, I knew it was not the solution. Soon enough we were back together trying to iron things out but both of us were still trying to get the better of one another.

Eventually, we settled in Christ's peace and prayed for His love to resolve our differences. At midnight, (so I guess it was Valentine's morning), we decided to watch Fireproof. Knowing the title was "Fireproof; Never leave your partner behind", I was already convicted of my error (sin).

The movie hit on some relevant and poignant points that I truly believe all couples have experienced to some point or another. My wife enjoyed it and so did I. After the movie, we checked out all of the bonus features and extra stuff to be found on the Internet and we are both in agreement that the movie IS well worth the time.

My hope is to lend it out to as many couples as possible, because I know that many couples have experienced similar situations and have allowed themselves to drift. Being Christian, we see it as a good ministry for the saved and unsaved alike.

May we learn not to be critical, especially to the Christians that truly care to glorify God.

Blessings,
BrianMira (bonded like salt and pepper ;-) )

BTW: I saw Facing the Giants and Flywheel and they were both equally relevant and poignant.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/13/fireproof.success/index.html

2009/2/14 5:06
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Poison

Quote:
It is a critical spirit that has gone to seed ...

I have been concerned for some time that certain Christians get into a negative state of mind and begin to 'feed' off of others shortcomings by criticizing the person. It becomes almost a means of edifying them. They feel 'built up' when they critique or judge others. But get this, when you consume someone else to build yourself up you are biting, devouring and consuming them. You are taking precious edification from them that they need for survival.

[b]Sometimes I read some of these threads and have no wonder why so many people are utterly turned off at so-called Christians. The critical nature of some of the ideas sends me almost over the edge.[/b]

No wonder either. Breaking a self imposed silence I am grieved enough to feel compelled to say ...

Am seeing something that would never be expected, a perspective from the other side. For whatever variety of reasons, faults, I seem to have been 'locked out of the house', cut off from the normative sense of what has been more customary (perhaps part of the very problem) - It's cold, dark, far too quiet - I seem both dead, dull and dense to spiritual matters - If it were merely a 'dark night of the soul' it would be bearable, this, it seems is the dark night alone, no soul to be found.

[b][i]Critical[/i][/b] -

5. Capable of judging with accuracy; conforming to exact rules of propriety; exact; particular; as, to be critical in rites and ceremonies, or in the selection of books.

Or

6. Inclined to find fault, or to judge with severity.

A 'critical spirit' may not be the best choice of words after all, maybe it ought to be recast differently.

[b]Haughty
HAUGHTY[/b], a. hau'ty. [from haught.]

1. Proud and disdainful; having a high opinion of one's self, with some contempt for others; lofty and arrogant; supercilious.

[i]His wife was a woman of a haughty and imperious nature.[/i]

A haughty spirit goeth before a fall. Prov 16.

2. Proceeding from excessive pride, or pride mingled with contempt; manifesting pride and disdain; as a haughty air or walk.

3. Proud and imperious; as a haughty nation.

4. Lofty; bold; of high hazard; as a haughty enterprise.

[b]Disdain
DISDAIN[/b], v.t. [L., to think worthy; worthy. See Dignity.] To think unworthy; to deem worthless; to consider to be unworthy of notice, care, regard, esteem, or unworthy of ones character; to scorn; to contemn. The man of elevated mind disdains a mean action; he disdains the society of profligate, worthless men; he disdains to corrupt the innocent, or insult the weak. Goliath disdained David.

Whose fathers I would have disdained to set with the dogs of my flock. Job 30.

[b]DISDAIN, n.[/b] Contempt; scorn; a passion excited in noble minds, by the hatred or detestation of what is mean and dishonorable, and implying a consciousness of superiority of mind, or a supposed superiority of mind, or a supposed superiority. In ignoble minds, disdain may spring from unwarrantable pride or haughtiness, and be directed toward objects of worth. It implies hatred, and sometimes anger.

[i]How my soul is moved with just disdain.[/i]

[b]Contempt
CONTEMPT, n.[/b] [L. See Contemn.]

1. The act of despising; the act of viewing or considering and treating as mean, vile and worthless; disdain; hatred of what is mean or deemed vile. This word is one of the strongest expressions of a mean opinion which the language affords.

[b]Contemptuous
CONTEMPTUOUS, a.[/b] Manifesting or expressing contempt or disdain; scornful; as contemptuous language or manner; a contemptuous opinion. Applied to men, apt to despise; haughty; insolent; as a nation, proud, severe, contemptuous.

[b]Insolent
IN'SOLENT, a.[/b] Proud and haughty, with contempt of others; overbearing; domineering in power; as an insolent master.

1. Proceeding from insolence; haughty and contemptuous; as insolent words or behavior.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To these could be added, [i]terse, angst, fault-finding[/i] and not fault by finding, but fault by expectation. Even the title of this post has the terse anticipation actually [i]accusation[/i] laced with all this poison of spirit.

I presently feel as one of [i]them[/i], on the outside looking in. And if this were to be what constitutes the true spirit of a Christian I would be compelled to harden myself against it and drive myself even further into enjoying every last drop of self seeking sin and pleasure. But it goes further than this.

[i]Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.[/i] Luk 18:10-14

Women contending with men - "Preaching" with audacity and contempt, the words are bitter poison - And the men who speak presumptuously about things they have not experienced, obvious by the high-mindedness and ignorance of the difficulties that are in many a marriage.

I plan to watch this movie this evening due to the very spite being leveled at it. My marriage has been so wrought with difficulties and so much of it has been precisely due to taking this very poisonous spiritual approach, this Pharisaical [i]pounding[/i], this Lasik eye surgery of specks while I ...

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26843&forum=35&1]HUMILITY .vs. PRIDE[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=23026&forum=45&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0]Revive Our Hearts[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=22930&forum=35&7]50 CHARACTERISTICS Of PHARISEE’S - Zac Poonen[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=19498]Confessions Of A Proud Church[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=12335&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]A Word To End all Strife and Divisiveness on SI Forums[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=10733&forum=34&post_id=&refresh=Go]Jonathan Edwards - Undiscerned Spiritual Pride[/url]

2009/2/14 11:15Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
I plan to watch this movie this evening due to the very spite being leveled at it. My marriage has been so wrought with difficulties and so much of it has been precisely due to taking this very poisonous spiritual approach.

Mr. Bill sure is glad to see there are other Christians in the world that can still think for themselves, and not be guided by a few, follow the Spirit in all things, that's my motto. :-)

2009/2/14 12:08Profile
moreofHim

Re: Fireproof

If I may, I'd like to write a little from my own perspective- my own story. Though my husband and I have been christians for quite a few years now, 3 yrs ago, my husband committed adultry. It was a very tough time for both of us, but especially rough on my emotional and spiritual state. I was clinging on for dear life!

Praise God, He is so good to help us grow and to restore things.

When Fireproof came out, my husband and I went to see it and I cannot tell you the freedom I felt, just the sense that the feelings that I had during that awful time- were normal and lots of marriages go through things like this. Not that it makes it right at all- but I felt like "you mean I'm not the only one!?"

I cried (tried not to- don't like my husband to see me weak) My husband cried buckets!!! Immediately the next day he took my 18 yr old daughter to see it as well, and again cried buckets! Just the reminders of taking the time to show love, to show patience, to show gentleness (to show your "Fruit") And yes, as spiritual as we may all think we are- sometimes we have to purposely make the effort. We can't sit back and think that the God is going to do it all. We have to take an active part.

My husband was so moved by the movie. It opened up so much new communication for us both. he has taken other men to see the movie because he knows so many men need to see the movie (and women too).

He is on the board of our local fire department and when Fireproof came out on video, he bought like 20 or so DVDs to give to guys at the Fire house. They could watch it at the firehouse or share them and take them home. I have no idea who may or may not be christians there- but it's a great way to shine a light, to soften a hard heart. It may be just the thing that someone needs to take that next step.

He gave a copy to his VP at work- a man who he's been trying to share- not only the gospel with- but just plain old human kindness and genuine christian love- He and his wife watched it the other night and he came back thanking Dan and told him that they both cried like babies. It opened up a new line of communication for them too.

Praise God for that little seed!!!!!!!

All we can do is plant some seeds here and there, shine His light, share His love, give biblical counsel if needed. I don't think any of this goes to waste.

People don't need only a preacher preaching the gospel at them- they need to see the Gospel lived out in others lives everyday- at the office, at the firehouse, at home, at the grocery store.

I'm sorry but to reiterate what Mike has touched on, so much of this criticism and pushing hard thoughts of God on people- it breaks my heart. People are not going to respond to that- and if they do it's out of fear and is usually temporary. It's changed lives that speak volumes!!!! It's seeing people respond to conflict and trials in a biblical way that glorifies the Lord and makes people wonder what we have that they don't.

I know all that I'm writing is not coming out as clearly as I'd like it. I'm rushed for time (got a date with my own sweet hubby for valentine's day :)

In His love, Chanin

2009/2/14 12:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy