SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Fireproof: Best Married Life Now?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Fireproof: Best Married Life Now?

When I watched Fireproof, I actually thought it was one of the BETTER movies than most of the filth I see on television. I was actually a bit disappointed because it could have been more clear-cut. I'm all for movies that help marriage; however, this seems to be a movie that SETTLES in marriage NOT a vehicle for REVIVAL!

I know that it is honoring God for a marriage to be unified and saved, etc. However, some parts of the movie just reminds me of settling in marriage and leaving it there. In their other movies, the evangelistic mission comes out more.

1. I would have left the movie thinking that divorce and remarriage is holy. Typically, this scripture refers to the espousal before marriage when you can put someone away. The engagement is just as important as the marriage itself but it is still less.

Matthew 19:9
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

2. The positive aspect should be more clearly defined. Many people I know believe that being positive is just telling people nice things and what people want to hear. However, being positive is a replacement of the word, "good" in the Bible. The entire truth of the Word is positive-rebuke, chastening, judgments, and all. Being positive is just noticing that by the fruits a person is trying to seek God and love God with everything. I can see the confusion happen left and right and people will create gods of the husbands and wives. It's just like the man who who thieved and the Pharisees past right on past. If we see our wife, children, husbands, or friends in danger, do we pass by like the Levite, etc or are we to use the Good Samaritan (Word) to rebuke?

Proverbs 27:5
Open rebuke is better than secret love.

Luke 17:3
Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

3. Kirk Cameron and all of them discuss how we should deny ourselves and so on. Then, he writes a whole autobiography on his life and proudly celebrates how they premarital kissing, etc. That is taking the Old Testament TOO literally when God refers to a spiritual kiss, etc, NOT natural. This is similar to tithing. God is referring to a SPIRITUAL tithe not the natural tithe of the Old Testament.

4. As for looking for the best interests in man, in the context of other scriptures, "best" is nothing. Our interests should be SPIRITUAL interests. What was disappointing was the aspect of trying to go all out with the NATURAL things that the wife/husband may want. However, that is the same thing like TBN and other false prophets. They are trying to fulfill the dream of every person that writes etc. Doing the same thing with a husband and wife is the same thing. At times it is even worse because the person spiritualizes it. This is just a false method of defining one's own goals from the past to the present and trying to get it for ourselves. There's no way that we can be the best we can be because self is to be dead. There's the best life in HEAVEN. However, the best life now is not it especially due to sin.

Remember it is a lie to say that the Holy Bible is the best. The Holy Bible is the ONLY way not the best way. When we say that He is the best way, we are saying that there are many ways and we are comparing "EVERYTHING" to nothing and to things that will pass away.

Listen to the lying of this statement-The Holy Bible is the best.

The scriptures say: Psalm 39:5 says, "Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah".

A man at his best state is vanity-emptiness, nothing.

Is Jesus Christ (Word) nothing or emptiness? If you say, "Yes," I will know that you hated God. Jesus Christ is everything and we are to submit to Him in everything.

Therefore, He cannot be the best. He is the only way and He cannot be compared to natural food, people, things, or anyone else. His love cannot be compared to our own. Therefore, Jesus Christ is the only way and there is NONE ELSE like Him. Is it food's name that we are saved? Is it money, or friends? IT is only Christ and everything else is nothing (including us).

Acts 4:12
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Saying He is the best is just an excuse to call other people the best and to cover up the pride (evident in proud pictures of YOU not Christ) and lust we have in our heart. It appears as if in the one picture with you and the girls is that you want someone to love you the way you love yourself. Nice way to hide but to hide from God in not repenting is hell-borne for sure. It's an excuse to cover over the sin of being a respecter of persons-that we have favorites and some that we like more than others.

2009/1/20 15:31

Re: Fireproof: Best Married Life Now?

I guess I am even the more disappointed because I thought that Way of the Master was practically perfect and for that I am sorry. This definitely opened my eyes to see that no man is perfect... It seems small but all sin is bad in His sight.

2009/1/20 15:37

Re: Highly esteeming wife is sin-highly esteeming GOD is holiness

Settling down is not going to every person and not being committed to the husband/wife. It means staying in the NATURAL and not going to the spiritual aspects. Low self-esteem is really pride but our self esteem should actually be very low. Philippians 2:3 says, "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves". We esteem each other as better but our mind should actually be small (little) thinking and lowliness (which makes Obama a false prophet). We don't see ourselves as the best but the smallest or the least.

1 Samuel 15:17
And Samuel said, When thou wast little in thine own sight, wast thou not made the head of the tribes of Israel, and the LORD anointed thee king over Israel?

1 Samuel 9:21
And Saul answered and said, Am not I a Benjamite, of the smallest of the tribes of Israel? and my family the least of all the families of the tribe of Benjamin? wherefore then speakest thou so to me?

HIGHLY ESTEEMING WIFE or friends is sin. Highly esteeming the Word of God coming out of the wife or husband is right. The Word is never ours...

Some of us stupidly think that our spouses, friends are going to be saved forever that we do not try THEIR spirits to see if it is of God. We let little sins go by and just call sins as "mistakes". This is spiritual dumbness and being mute over that certain issue.

This is stupidly, carnally thinking that we do not walk in the Old paths anymore. Highly esteeming a person is a sin and it's creating gods.

2009/1/20 21:04
int3grity

Re:

I am really looking forward to this movie coming to Canada this month. I will have to see it before making any judgements. I plan to give the makers and actors the benefit of the doubt.

2009/1/20 23:41Profile

Re:

You must have seen a different "Fire Proof" than I did. There was personal revival all over that movie, as there was in their other movie "Facing The Giants".

And this movie has nothing to do with Way of the Master, other than that Kirk Cameron was in the movie. He's an actor. It's what he does. This movie was not made by, nor does it represent Way of the Master.

I think you're being hyper critical.

Krispy

2009/1/21 7:40
moreofHim

Re: fireproof

repentperish,

your posts concern me. I am thinking that maybe your objections go deeper than what you are alluding to here.

You are right that we are not to make an idol out of our spouse or friends- but on the other hand a husband is to love his wife as Jesus loves the church- he lays down his life and gives it up for her. If you are familiar with Christ's great love toward His people, then you will have some idea as to how husbands are to love their wives.

We should esteem others above ourselves. This is not too hard to understand and you don't have to overanalyze it. Put others before yourself- do not be selfish.

My husband has sinned against me in the past, telling me lies and committng adultry. But we are still together since he has repented. But I also had to work very hard to continue to put him before myself. To esteem him above myself. I didn't want to because I didn't think he deserved it- but none of us do. I have learned so much about what love really is. What selflessness is.

Marriage exists to give the world a picture of what Christ and His church should look like.

Maybe we should try not to overanalyze and criticize and instead see where our hearts may be pricked. What good can we see in it and how can we apply it to our lives/marriages?

Sometimes when we criticize and overanalyze, it is because we want avoid the real problem- us.

The most recent biography of Tozer comes to mind as I read your post. Here was a supposedly Godly man, yet in his personal life- genuine loved lacked- especially toward his own wife, children and family. If one cannot love their own household and esteem them above himself- that concerns me. Something is out of balance. We cannot love the Lord and not love others. I'm not saying that Tozer was not Godly, but it is a good illustration, a warning. It was not until his wife remarried (after Tozer died) that his wife really felt someone loved her. How sad. That does not sound very much like Christ-likeness. Tozer might have impressed other people with his zeal and knowledge- but it was hypocritical to the one who was placed in his life to be his 'other half'.

In Christ, Chanin

2009/1/21 8:21Profile

Re:

Oh, it sounds like we are saying the same thing. The fruit of what we do is connected to most of what we do. Being an actor excuses nothing. We esteem the other better than ourselves but we do not esteem the person highly.

Luke 16:15
And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

Otherwise, this movie is better and actually good-some aspects could be much clearer.

Feeling loved is receiving that rebuke, etc. Yes you are right... if we love the Lord and we cannot love our family members, etc with His Truth (His perfected Love) then there is something wrong. We know others and love others with His Truth-that is the only way. If she felt someone loved her, then that means that she was loved with the truth not with the flesh.

Criticizing is only based on outward appearance. It's not tantalizing our flesh and making us feel good about ourselves. We must decrease and He must increase.

That's a difficult one to go through though--the adultery aspect. That had to have been God.

Oh and that means that you are calling the Word of God hyperspiritual/hypercritical. The Word is the only thing that can show every bit of sin and wickedness that we commit-from Genesis to Revelation.

2009/1/21 10:25
1over

Re:

They have another movie as well, called "Flywheel".

2009/1/21 12:06Profile
moreofHim

Re: fireproof

Quote:
Feeling loved is receiving that rebuke

I'm not saying that love does not include a gentle rebuke- but that is only a small portion of what love truly is. We can't just focus on the 'rebuke' part of love and leave out the rest. That is totally unbiblical. What does the bible say love is: patient, kind, not jealous or boastful, not rude or proud. It does not demand it's own way. It is not irritable, it keeps no record of wrongs. It does not rejoice about injustice, but rejoices when the truth wins out. Love never gives up, loses faith, is always hopeful and endures every circumstance.

From what I gather you saying here- you also feel that God's love to us is rebuke. Yes, He does do that when we need it, but he also loves us in all those ways I just mentioned above- He is merciful, patient with us, kind, slow to anger, (Psalm 86:15, Psalm 103:8, Psalm 145:8)etc.....

How we feel God's love toward us is how we will treat others. If we feel God is harsh with us, we will be harsh with others. I hope you feel the genuine love of the Father toward you today so that you may in turn love others as He has loved you :)

In Him, Chanin

2009/1/21 12:06Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Sometimes I read some of these threads and have [u]no[/u] wonder why so many people are utterly turned off at so-called Christians. The critical nature of some of the ideas sends me almost over the edge.

There is a biting and devouring and consuming that does not glorify God. Imagine that for a minute?

[color=000066]But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. (Gal 5:15)[/color]

I have been concerned for some time that certain Christians get into a negative state of mind and begin to 'feed' off of others shortcomings by criticizing the person. It becomes almost a [i]means[/i] of edifying them. They feel 'built up' when they critique or judge others. But get this, when you consume someone else to build yourself up you are biting, devouring and consuming [i]them[/i]. You are taking precious edification from them that they need for survival.

Imagine the insanity of that? Consuming each other in order to edify themselves. One cannot build themselves up by tearing others down. It does not please God.

Robertson tells of a famous story of two snakes that swallowed each other by the tail until they met face to face having consumed the other. It ought to make us reevaluate whether or not we are guilty building ourselves up by tearing others down? An almost spiritual cannibalism of sorts where a person stops receiving from God in their devotional life and just begins consuming others that are doing things or have done things that don't fit their beliefs. It is really horrific if you think about it; because truly, which of us can afford to be the host for some parasitic Christian [i]to suck the life out of[/i] by their judgment and criticism?

Truly as our passage states- we ought to [u]give heed[/u] because the tendency is "If you bite me, I'll bite you back." It could easily deteriorate into a vicious bloody game of spiritual life and death- like two wildbeasts that kill and eat their prey. Let us get our edification from our devotional time with God and not at the expense of some precious soul for whom Christ died.

2009/1/21 13:58Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy