SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Lot’s wife was a professor of religion

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Lot’s wife was a professor of religion

Lot’s wife was a professor of religion; her husband was a "righteous man" (2 Pet. 2:8). She left Sodom with him on the day when Sodom was destroyed; she looked back toward the city from behind her husband, against God’s express command; she was struck dead at once and turned into a pillar of salt. And the Lord Jesus Christ holds her up as a beacon to His church; He says, "Remember Lot’s wife."

It is a solemn warning, when we think of the person Jesus names. He does not bid us remember Abraham or Isaac or Jacob or Sarah or Hannah or Ruth. No, He singles out one whose soul was lost forever. He cries to us, "Remember Lot’s wife." - J.C. Ryle

Complete article [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=3609]here[/url]

This article is very worth reading.

2009/1/20 8:57Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Lot’s wife was a professor of religion

Let me address the reader particularly here, so I may impress a few salient questions upon your conscience. You have seen the history of Lot’s wife—her privileges, her sin and her end. You have been told of the uselessness of privileges without the gift of the Holy Spirit, of the danger of worldliness and of the reality of hell. Suffer me to wind up all by a few direct appeals to your own heart. In a day of so much light and knowledge and profession, I desire to set up a beacon to preserve souls from shipwreck. I would sincerely moor a buoy in the channel of all spiritual voyagers and paint upon it, "Remember Lot’s wife."

a. Are you careless about the second advent of Christ? Alas, many are! They live like the men of Sodom and the men of Noah’s day: they eat and drink and plant and build and marry and are given in marriage and behave as if Christ was never going to return. If you are such a one, I say to you this day, "Take care: remember Lot’s wife."

b. Are you lukewarm, and cold in your Christianity? Alas, many are! They try to serve two masters: they labor to keep friends both with God and mammon. They strive to be a kind of spiritual bat, neither one thing nor the other: not quite a thoroughgoing Christian, but not quite men of the world. If you are such a one, I say to you this day, "Take care: remember Lot’s wife."

c. Are you halting between two opinions and disposed to go back to the world? Alas, many are! They are afraid of the cross; they secretly dislike the trouble and reproach of decided religion. They are weary of the wilderness and the manna and would sincerely return to Egypt if they could. If you are such a one, I say to you this day, "Take care: remember Lot’s wife."

d. Are you secretly cherishing some besetting sin? Alas, many are! They go far in a profession of religion; they do many things that are right and are very like the people of God. But there is always some darling evil habit which they cannot tear from their heart. Hidden worldliness or covetousness or lust sticks to them like their skin. They are willing to see all their idols broken but this one. If you are such a one, I say to you this day, "Take care: remember Lot’s wife."

e. Are you trifling with little sins? Alas many are! They hold the great essential doctrines of the gospel. They keep clear of all gross profligacy or open breach of God’s law, but they are painfully careless about little inconsistencies and painfully ready to make excuses for them. "It is only a little temper, or a little levity, or a little thoughtlessness, or a little forgetfulness," they tell us; "God does not take account of such little matters. We are none of us perfect; God will never require it." If you are such a one, I say to you this day, "Take care: remember Lot’s wife."

f. Are you resting on religious privileges? Alas, many do! They enjoy the opportunity of hearing the gospel regularly preached and of attending many ordinances and means of grace, and they settle down on their lees. They seem to be "rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing" (Rev. 3:17), while they have neither faith, nor grace, nor spiritual–mindedness, nor fitness for heaven. If you are such a one, I say to you this day, "Take care: remember Lot’s wife."

g. Are you trusting to your religious knowledge? Alas, many do! They are not ignorant, as other men: they know the difference between true doctrine and false. They can dispute, they can reason, they can argue, they can quote texts; but all this time they are not converted, and they are yet dead in trespasses and sins. If you are such a one, I say to you this day, "Take care: remember Lot’s wife."

h. Are you making some profession of religion and yet clinging to the world? Alas, many do! They aim at being thought Christians. They like the credit of being serious, steady, proper, regular church–going people; yet all the while their dress, their tastes, their companions, their entertainments tell plainly they are of the world. If you are such a one, I say to you this day, "Take care: remember Lot’s wife."

i. Are you trusting that you will have a deathbed repentance? Alas, many do so! They know they are not what they ought to be: they are not yet born again and fit to die. But they flatter themselves that, when their last illness comes, they shall have time to repent and lay hold on Christ and go out of the world pardoned, sanctified and meet for heaven. They forget that people often die very suddenly and that, as they live, they generally die. If you are such a one, I say to you this day, "Take care: remember Lot’s wife."

j. Do you belong to an evangelical congregation? Many do and, alas, go no further! They hear the truth Sunday after Sunday and remain as hard as the nether millstone. Sermon after sermon sounds in their ears. Month after month they are invited to repent, to believe, to come to Christ and to be saved. Year after year passes away, and they are not changed. They keep their seat under the teaching of a favorite minister, and they also keep their favorite sins. If you are such a one, I say to you this day, "Take care: remember Lot’s wife."

Oh, may these solemn words of our Lord Jesus Christ be deeply engraved on all our hearts! May they awaken us when we feel sleepy, revive us when we feel dead, sharpen us when we feel dull, warm us when we feel cold! May they prove a spur to quicken us when we are falling back and a bridle to check us when we are turning aside! May they be a shield to defend us when Satan casts a subtle temptation at our heart and a sword to fight with, when he says boldly, "Give up Christ, come back to the world, and follow me!" Oh, may we say in such hours of trial, "Soul, remember your Savior’s warning! Soul, soul, have you forgotten His words? Soul, soul, remember Lot’s wife!"

2009/1/20 9:18Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
I say to you this day, "Take care: remember Lot’s wife."

Quote:
Oh, may these solemn words of our Lord Jesus Christ be deeply engraved on all our hearts! May they awaken us when we feel sleepy, revive us when we feel dead, sharpen us when we feel dull, warm us when we feel cold! May they prove a spur to quicken us when we are falling back and a bridle to check us when we are turning aside! May they be a shield to defend us when Satan casts a subtle temptation at our heart and a sword to fight with, when he says boldly, "Give up Christ, come back to the world, and follow me!" Oh, may we say in such hours of trial, "Soul, remember your Savior’s warning! Soul, soul, have you forgotten His words? Soul, soul, remember Lot’s wife!"

Amen.

This is one of the first J.C. Ryle sermons I ever read. It still hits just as hard. What a warning...

2009/1/20 9:22Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

tjservant wrote:

This is one of the first J.C. Ryle sermons I ever read. It still hits just as hard. What a warning...

I recently purchased J.C Ryles expository on the gospels and it is money well spent, Ryle truly has much wisdom and is very faithful to scripture i believe. He writes very simple but yet very powerful, sometimes the "advance" and very beautiful english can get us foreign readers to lose the plot so to say, Ryle keeps it straight to the point and in a very readable format that blesses me tremendous.

I want to encourage all to get the commentary from him, i found it for about 30 something dollars, considering the "junk" you can buy for such money in todays bookstore this commentary will be a good reading all the days of our lifes.

and this sermon as you say it is powerful, and what a warning, if anyone dont feel warned by this you never will probably.

Thank you for posting and bringing attention to it

2009/1/20 9:41Profile

Quote:

tjservant wrote:
This article is very worth reading.

Indeed it is.

A mere look shows what is really in the heart.

Old Joe

2009/1/20 9:44
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
Quote:

tjservant wrote:

I recently purchased J.C Ryles expository on the gospels and it is money well spent, Ryle truly has much wisdom and is very faithful to scripture i believe. He writes very simple but yet very powerful, sometimes the "advance" and very beautiful english can get us foreign readers to lose the plot so to say, Ryle keeps it straight to the point and in a very readable format that blesses me tremendous.

I want to encourage all to get the commentary from him, i found it for about 30 something dollars, considering the "junk" you can buy for such money in todays bookstore this commentary will be a good reading all the days of our lifes.

and this sermon as you say it is powerful, and what a warning, if anyone dont feel warned by this you never will probably.

Thank you for posting and bringing attention to it

I have "almost" made the purchase several times. Thanks for posting this information brother. I will not let it get away next time.

2009/1/20 9:48Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

tjservant wrote:

I have "almost" made the purchase several times. Thanks for posting this information brother. I will not let it get away next time.

well if you have 35 dollars over [url=http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=77444&netp_id=471522&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers]christianbooks.com[/url]

And if you want to read before buying check out gracegems site the commentary is there, but in the book you will get some more things from other authors ryle thought worthy to be in the book. And one thing i like it challenges me personally on every page, Ryle is very good at drawing from scripture into a very practical and every day life application so to say :-) hope you get what i meen.

It is a good set :-) anyhow and knowing you have like Ryle judging from how much you post from him which i find very good, i know you wont regret to buy this.

2009/1/20 10:00Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

https://www.christianzionism.org/theological-questions

2009/1/21 16:17Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy