SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Seven Churches

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The Seven Churches

The seven churches are summarized relatively simply but effectively below. Christ has something good to say about all but the last, and a rebuke of some sort for all. Those who are actually Christ's need to examine which 'church' best fits their mentality (not necessarily their place of attendance) and heed the admonishment. I don't believe that anyone would like to hear Christ rebuke them personally, so it is best for us all to heed our own rebukes and address them now while we still can.

Note: Before we begin, there is at least a 3-fold meaning to the 7 churches:

1) Rev 2-3 were addressed to 7 specific churches in Asia.

2) They represent 7 specific periods of church history that will take place before the Lord's return.

3) They represent 7 generalized church types that have existed in each period of time, though the majority visible church in each time is characterized by the particular period. (IE Smyrna still exists today in places like North Korea, but we are in the latter part of the Laodicean period).

Now to the churches:

Ephesus- Represented by the Independent Fundamental churches- Can find error well, but have little or lost their love for Christ.

Smyrna- Represented by the church in Communist and other like Countries- Persecuted unto death, need to hold fast the faith unto death

Pergamos-Represented by the Pentecostal/Charismatic churches- Bold, but not discerning and generally relish error

Thyatira-Represented by Episcopal type churches (United, Anglican, Methodist Etc.)-Good human works, but not for Christ and friendly with Rome (Note: I don't consider Rome to be part of this church, Rome is Jezebel, not Thyatira)

Sardis- Represented by the Reformed churches-Have the truth, but pride in the having of it keeps it from their hearts and most are yet dead

Philidelphia- Represented by brethren wherever they may be-Well done, but need to hold fast the faith

Laodicea- Represented by the New Evangelical (EG Purpose Driven et al) type churches-Nothing good to say about it, the lukewarmness is putrid to Christ.

Old Joe

2009/1/20 7:53
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: The Seven Churches

just a word of correction brother

you said they [i]lost[/i] their first love, they left it, there is a big difference i believe.

Dont know how wise it is to set different denominations in various groups, some are probably mixed a bit of this church and a bit of that and we need to overcome individually. I also think it is bad to look upon a entire denomination and say all such churches are like that, Jesus holds every one church responsible since there are no denominations to be found in the bible, this is a man made concept and not Gods plan.

Every church is directly under God not a denomination.

I think we need get back to that thinking, what i do agree on and think is the most important one is what you say at first, that we see where the rebukes applies to us personanlly, so we can be rebuked and be overcomers as this passage of scripture tells us to be, so that is a good thing and the main reason to read scripture, to find out what i need to do and judge myself so i can confess and repent and thus by Gods grace be an overcomer in these last days.

I think it is very unwise to read scripture and say "this is them and this is them" , it may be true and very obvious in many cases, but scripture is given to point to myself.

some thoughts from me brother, I amen your exhortation to apply this personally.

God bless you brother

2009/1/20 9:34Profile

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
just a word of correction brother

you said they [i]lost[/i] their first love, they left it, there is a big difference i believe.

Admonishment received.

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
Dont know how wise it is to set different denominations in various groups, some are probably mixed a bit of this church and a bit of that and we need to overcome individually. I also think it is bad to look upon a entire denomination and say all such churches are like that, Jesus holds every one church responsible since there are no denominations to be found in the bible, this is a man made concept and not Gods plan.

Individuals and churches will generally fit into one of the seven categories. Not always as per their denominational brand name, but they will tend towards at least one of the seven.

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:

Every church is directly under God not a denomination.

Not so.

Only this church is directly under God. It's members may be scattered throughout denominations, yet it is only this church that is under God.

http://www.theinvisiblechurch.ca/fundamentally/fund3/Fundc23.html

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:

I think we need get back to that thinking, what i do agree on and think is the most important one is what you say at first, that we see where the rebukes applies to us personanlly, so we can be rebuked and be overcomers as this passage of scripture tells us to be, so that is a good thing and the main reason to read scripture, to find out what i need to do and judge myself so i can confess and repent and thus by Gods grace be an overcomer in these last days.

I think it is very unwise to read scripture and say "this is them and this is them" , it may be true and very obvious in many cases, but scripture is given to point to myself.

some thoughts from me brother, I amen your exhortation to apply this personally.

God bless you brother

Having spent some time in each of them mentally, I speak from experience.

Old Joe

2009/1/20 10:00

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy